timatc

Tamiya 1/14 Cascadia - Shifting

Hello,
I have recently purchased a new but pre-built Cascadia semi. In relation to the gearbox, can you shift whilst the truck is moving (three speed gearbox) or is it best to stop and then change?
When changing while moving, the gears tend to grind as they change which I gather is not good.

Also, where are these semis originally manufactured?

You should be able to shift the gears while the truck is moving as the gearbox has synchro hubs.

If you are getting noisy gearchanges then possibly the shift servo needs trim adjustment or maybe there has been an assembly error in the gearbox build.

You can download the build manual from the TamiyaUSA website if you don't have the paper version.

The 3-speed gearboxes on all of the 1:14 trucks are basically the same.

The 1:1 trucks are made in the USA, not sure where the kits are made but would assume Japan. 

• Thanks 1

You should be able to shift on the fly. (no noise)

Check the end stops while shifting trans to make sure the shift rod (servo) is moving to the ends on either side and not to little or to much. This would be do to gears not locking in fully. 

Another thing noise could be, is ball bearings being used. One of the shifters, the two 1260 bearings should be left as a bushings and glued in place so it slides easily. Ball bearings won't slide well and can jamb. Tamiya only started stating this in later trucks manuals. Like around the Grand Hauler and Cascadia kits. The good news is that the transmissions are pretty much bullet proof, as all the gears are meshed together all the time, and only shifters move. Stripping shouldn't happen. But will make it sound terrible when moving between gears. (there are only (4)-1260 bearings used, so can locate pretty easily) 

I still haven't gone into my older transmissions to fix this. Lazy or not a big enough issue? I grew to like the Cascadia. Wish it was still made. (roomy)

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Tamiya Fan 1 that seemed to have sorted it. I took it apart - was a bit dry in terms of grease so re-did all of the gears and the shafts, as well as checked the servo travel - now much improved. I also swapped the motor out to a Carson Poison which made a big difference too - the existing Tamiya 540 motors are too fast which compounded this to a degree.

• Like 1