Busdriver

Chrome removal

I am working on a CC02 project that will involve 2 bodysets. This will include separate body posts, wheels and tyres. The 2 bodies are the CC02 Unimog and the CR01/CC01 Ford Bronco. The Unimog will be stock agricultural look but the Bronco is anything but. Part of its look will be metallic black grill and mirrors. Now to ensure good paint adhesion I decided to de-chrome them before painting. Started with oven spray. A big Zero. So I turned to bleach. Now I have done this before with standard cheap Poundland bleach and it all came of in a few hours. The only bleach Mrs BD had under the sink was one of these nice smelling bleaches so I used that. Well how long can it take??? These pieces have been in the bleach for 24 hours and it’s still very patchy. (Can’t upload pictures!!!)

The back of the grill is still fully chrome even though it’s had some bleach on it. Am I doing something wrong or being too impatient ?

Not sure, ive had great success with just normal unscented own brand bleach from Tescos which was about 90p for a large bottle. Poured in a yogurt pot to fully cover the parts I left it over night and by morning the chrome had vanished and seemed to have absorbed into the bleach. I wonder if the scented one has a lower concentration of bleach or some other general cleaning additives that means it may take longer?

Brake fluid?

If various chemicals cannot strip it, then it had bonded well and truly, just prime over and paint normally. 

I have recently removed chrome from F-350 parts. I used a bath of water with two dishwasher tablets let it soak for two or three days. What was left on the parts was treated with oven cleaner and and then removed with a brush.

I just sand off what I can and prime, and spray over it with another color from start..       :ph34r:  

Maybe try some de-greaser, apparently Walmart Super Clean works pretty well, depending on the chrome it may only take 15-30 minutes or so, but Tamiya chrome may take overnight.

• Thanks 1