simalarion

? So, What have you done Today ? V2.0 -TempFix-

No issues for me with a new SWHYDTWHTVRACRNYM thread of course, whatever works :)

I agree though that It'd be nic to pinpoint or somehow highlight the old one if possible, if anything as a tribute to Badboy for starting such a popular thread that everyone has enjoyed for so long.

Life goes on, even on TC...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

DIY today and my wife wanted to move the furniture around in the front room.

Happy to make her happy, so no Tamiya today, but a bit of TC and I ordered a full set of tyres for my Sand Scorcher.

My wife quoted @Willy iine today with the immortal words ‘honey do’s’ 😂

I always see it as good opportunity to earn browny points!  :D 

• Like 1

Finally got a break from DIY and painting. I was going to launch in to the Blockhead Motors Wild One build but instead I decided to do some tinkering. 

First, I repositioned the ESC and Receiver on my Egress to try and get a better fit for my driver:

83135459-4985-453C-8A1A-49634529EE36.jpeg.fd6617f225dc830f65a45eecee74e174.jpeg

932F7866-281A-4FF6-8A49-3C1EE69AA9DD.thumb.jpeg.76e0f30954d3f9ef967cfe6278dc9138.jpeg

Now that it all fits I just need to fix him in place properly and fix down the wiring. 

Then I worked on the Jimny shell. I’ve mocked up some plates to fit to the roll cage for a race number. I’m actually going to use black styrene instead though.

Then I cut the windows out and added some window nets. These are actually from Lego.

E6A957FA-B5F5-47F4-ABAB-D69A490C0762.thumb.jpeg.d3e9a27f22882e0c8a34d8a54a3a1bf8.jpeg

A3C5C1F5-B922-474A-BB3B-21F987EE6471.thumb.jpeg.345e4af03f4e13ceb045c0ef0e9e962f.jpeg

• Like 5

With regard to the original thread, (& postman thread for that matter) I wonder if there is a way of locking the first post in with the title, then set up an auto delete on posts older than say 3years old? I doubt anyone goes back further than that, and might help keep the thread size happier.

No idea if it’s possible, I’m far from computer literate. Just a thought. 

• Like 2

A great start to Sunday, just booked flights to Florence- this will be our 3rd attempt to get there 😳

And I just applied  the last coat of wax on the 8 fire doors we had fitted on the 1st and 2nd floor, each door requires 3 coats @ 45 minutes per coat 😭, so I’m delighted that this lot is ticked off the list now. 

Sitting on my back side now enjoying a coffee, TC & eBay Tamiya RC 😉

• Like 2

Today i tried to pay respect to the threadstarter that started one of the best ideas for a thread in firts post and also included the original post (see first page). As(s) Kardashian he «broke the internet» at the end with the most popular thread in here (i think).

I am stil hoping for a proper Moderator fix but it seems they are not very often on here so i put this Temp fix up again after several requests for it

• Thanks 2

I think it is fair to say that we do have great moderators,  but they do have lives outside of TC and this is highly unlikely to be their day jobs.

So no more complaints from anyone please about the guys that run TC for all our benefits. 

• Like 3

Nice work @simalarion

Fingers crossed for Florence @Grumpy pants!

Been juggling a few real life chores and watching the NFL play offs but had some time for Tamiya too. After fiddling with the Jimny a little I decided I didn’t like the dark blue on the bottom stripe so repainted with PS3. A few more decals and accessories to add but I think I’m done with paint on this one now…

C321C937-61DC-4CC1-ABC2-1B418EBB1B3B.jpeg.88d739b841bb00cdcca8048b87736391.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks again, @simalarion  Hope you're feeling better today.

Speaking honey-do brownie points, my brownie points appeared to have added up and my wife is asking what I would like to have in return.. basically a cash-out.  :lol:

I jokingly told her I would like a new flagship keyboard amp for my new music room called the Roland KC990.  She said okay.  :blink:  :wacko:  Now I am wondering if this is some sort of trap.  Like would I be reminded of the amp she got me for the rest of my life?  :wacko:  treading carefully... need to walk with a poking stick so I don't fall into a hole.. I've been with her since we were kids so she knows me all too well.  I should go for something smaller.. 

Okay need to put down my iPad and back to sanding!  :ph34r:

• Like 2

When I was a kid I had issues cutting these injection points cleanly without damaging the very edge of the wheel.  

IMG_2022-1-16-081221.jpg.0fc3a4b01dc10715de0ccac0006ce9b3.jpg

Not sure if it helps anyone, but the trick I found long time ago was to cut the injection spruce about 1mm away from the edge of the wheel using a spruce cutter like the Tamiya precision cutter.

IMG_2022-1-16-081235.jpg.9e5e6d193b63f63416cb7bb2c71a56d1.jpg

Then using a sharp knife gently trim it off  from the back side of the wheel without damaging the wheel lip.  Leave behind a slight hump.  

Then sand away using a file from the front (hold file perpendicular to the hump and sand in a front to back motion, non-reciprocating) making sure not to disturb the lip. Then sand from the side along the outside of the wheel using a sanding sponge to finish off. 

IMG_2022-1-16-081249.jpg.565eb3c244926323075b28928e6b127c.jpg

Now ready for paint.  

Okay back to more sanding.. :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simalarion said:

Today i tried to pay respect to the threadstarter that started one of the best ideas for a thread in firts post and also included the original post (see first page). As(s) Kardashian he «broke the internet» at the end with the most popular thread in here (i think).

I am stil hoping for a proper Moderator fix but it seems they are not very often on here so i put this Temp fix up again after several requests for it

Nice job simalarion, hope you feel better soon.

My sister has Covid and her 12 yo son has just tested positive, she thinks the isolation and boredom is going to be the biggest hurdle they have to overcome 😳

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Nice job simalarion, hope you feel better soon.

My sister has Covid and her 12 yo son has just tested positive, she thinks the isolation and boredom is going to be the biggest hurdle they have to overcome 😳

I’m on day10.5, tomorrow should be my last day. I’ve lost a week of Physio for my back as i couldn’t attend, it’s driving me mad. What’s worse I’m still testing positive 👎🏽

• Sad 6

28 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I’m on day10.5, tomorrow should be my last day. I’ve lost a week of Physio for my back as i couldn’t attend, it’s driving me mad. What’s worse I’m still testing positive 👎🏽

According to info i got the test will continiue to show positive for you atleast 3 more month’s, so since we all got it now in this house the kids do not need to test for that period, others at school/kindergarden must do new tests every week.

For me this is like Vaccine 3 so i do not need to take the third now. As the kids does not get Vaccine i was very worried how bad it would get but as kids can tackle this better it seems they get away with just a bit fever and other mild influenca symptoms. 

I think we all are off the hook on We or Th. As im not able to start tu build my new kit i did order a lot off not planed Hop-Ups, it does not seem i can resist 

All sanded, glue points masked.. will degrease and start painting tomorrow.  

IMG_2022-1-16-093730.jpg.02733f3b3dd8c23c9ef5e81b0c555e9b.jpg

My biggest worry is the windshield frame as it’s in 2 pieces and the glass gets sandwiched later.  The parting line cannot be fixed unless I assemble the entire windshield and mask the glass before paint.  hummmmmm..  will think it over some Oreo’s.. and coffee..

• Like 4

I sorted through some of my son’s stuff in his cupboard and came across something my Grandma had given me.

I thought it might be an inspiration for @Willy iine’s next project when his finished the XR311…

E21CDEF1-CF13-4C86-8D3C-5CD8A635E6B5.md.

Wild Mickey?? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I sorted through some of my son’s stuff in his cupboard and came across something my Grandma had given me.

I thought it might be an inspiration for @Willy iine’s next project when his finished the XR311…

E21CDEF1-CF13-4C86-8D3C-5CD8A635E6B5.md.

Wild Mickey?? 😉

Awesome!!  :lol:  Thanks for the inspiration.    

• Like 1

Started work on my Monster Beetle I received for Xmas, with a few alloy upgrades and some home made servo mounts so It be placed centrally 

3D7D6E67-A590-4129-8D97-F63B37C4C9F4.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, Willy iine said:

My biggest worry is the windshield frame as it’s in 2 pieces and the glass gets sandwiched later.  The parting line cannot be fixed unless I assemble the entire windshield and mask the glass before paint.  

Liquid mask the whole thing, build as per normal, paint, then demask with a toothpick. 

48 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Liquid mask the whole thing, build as per normal, paint, then demask with a toothpick. 

I already painted it this morning as per instructions.. :ph34r:    

I looked at the box art yesterday and the windshield has several vertical parting lines so I think it will look okay, thus went ahead with the painting and will assemble it first.   But if it turns out weird, I will mask the glass with the usual Tamiya masking tape and putty/sand/re-paint it.   At least it's a piece separate from the main body so that I can go back to it while I work on the other parts in parallel.

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

At least it's a piece separate from the main body so that I can go back to it while I work on the other parts in parallel.

This is what I love about Tamiya (static) kits, work on almost all the steps in parallel, and then throw everything together, and it is done. That easy. 

There is a joke in the static world, a phrase that I had used often to describe Tamiya, "shake and bake", just throw some glue and paint into the box, give it a shake, and it is done. 

This guy nailed it @1:10.