DeadMeat666

Another "I've completely lost interest" thread...

Hey all,

Over the past 2 months, something very strange (to me) has happened: I've completely lost all interest in RC as a hobby, and it's frustrating me to no end. The feeling first started the moment I received the 934 45th edition; I just put it away in my closet and went on with life. Now, every time I find some free time, I stay away from the hobby like it's the plague. Reasons I find this frustrating:

1. I really like the community here, and I like contributing, but without actively engaging in the hobby, there will gradually be less and less reason to check up on this forum.

2. I have amassed a collection of (in my opinion) very nice RCs, some of which remain NIB even though I was very excited to build them before, but not so anymore. (Egress, TF Evo, Dynablaster, 934, etc)

3. I now feel like this whole exercise was a collosal waste of funds that I could've used elsewhere. 

I now look at my "closet of adventures" (with all the kits in it) with total confusion and regret.

I'm not necessarily looking for validation, but it would be nice to know if something like this has happened to any of you before, and how did you handle it?

• Sad 5

I think this happens to us all in one way or another. Whether it be full on loss of interest or just a slight waining of interest. I myself over the years have sold my collection about 3 times. Have a year break then slowly find myself getting back into it and regretting what I have sold. 

If it were me and you don't need the money that the kits have in value. Just keep them in your closet and take a break. Maybe buy a non Tamiya basher just for fun and you don't have to worry about it being perfect etc. But least it's always there to just pick up and mess around with. ?? 

I hope you stick around and even if you decide to have a break away 100% from the hobby I am sure you will be back within a year or so. 👍

James.

• Like 8

One factor that sometimes makes me avoid the RC hobby, or any hobby, is when it somehow spending time on it becomes a duty. Feelings such as "I have to finish this car" or "I must run this car at least this often otherwise it was money badly spent" etc. Once it becomes a duty, indeed your reaction will be to avoid it like the plague.

This happened to me a few years back and realized I had too many NIB kits that made me feel like there was soooo much work ahead of me that it was sucking all the fun from the hobby. After realizing this,  I let the kits sit for nearly two years and spent time running my already built RC models + building static models. I have now returned to the hobby with full steam and have doubled my RC collection over the past year!

Something that keeps me engaged is walking and hiking. Some people like to take their dogs out for a walk, I take my Land Cruiser. Exercise + RC = good combo. Hiking with trail cars is also great. Any activity that you can combine it with RC is a way to enhance both the activity and RC in a single sweep, without the need of extra time & commitment.

• Like 7

I’ve sold collections of Airguns, rc boats, rc cars and nib static kits over the years. Sometimes I’ve needed the money but in most cases it was Mojo loss. I have to say in almost every case I have regretted it. Sometimes you just need a rest. Maybe just check in here once a week, you might find that you miss it that much that gets your juices flowing again. Hope you don’t leave us your input has always added interest to the threads you’ve posted in.

• Like 4

My adult life has been a long, repeating loop of expensive hobbies that I dive in to, spend a fortune on and then move on from. The most expensive has been my Leica camera collection but luckily I think I actually made money when I sold it all.

I’ve only been back in to Tamiya since September and I’ve (purposely) lost track of how much I’ve spent already. I do have a nagging feeling I will get bored with it at some point and just move on. But I reckon I could sell to get some cash back and write the rest off as money spent as you might do on any hobby. 

It’s probably worth trying to work out what specifically you actually have enjoyed about the hobby in the past; building, driving, creating a collection, etc.

I’ve got lots of kits and rebuilds to do and that’s exciting but every time I screw up on painting (often) it really bugs me. The thought of all the shells I want to paint and want to NOT screw up does really frustrate me at times and stops me in my tracks.

Oh, and for what it’s worth I’ve really enjoyed your contributions here and your responses to my questions as I returned to Tamiya were really valuable. So, I hope we don’t see you leave.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear your dilemma @DeadMeat666, I’ve seen a few people go through similar situations, sell it all and then regret it. Everyone is different though and one man’s pleasure is another man’s pain.

As much as I often look at some people’s stashes of kits that put most Hobby Shops to shame, deep inside I know that’s not for me. I have no idea what I’ll feel like building or using in 6/12/24 months time? So I just pick something I like the look of and have the cash for that I won’t miss, and can do something with in the not to distant future. It’s worked out for me so far.

I would just tuck it all away for a while and reassess. New Year is always a prime time for a lot of people to step back and have a good look at where they are going.

We’ll still be here, and would be great to hear/see what you do. Good luck mate, and don’t stress answers tend to come along when you least expect it.

• Like 2

Been there a couple of times myself mate, the crushing ‘what have I done’ feeling sucks don’t it. The cause (for me) turned out to be a loss of focus, just buying stuff because it was rare or popular or fitted into some sort of sequence rather than concentrating on what I actually liked. Once I’d sold loads of stuff off & re-jigged everything the mojo came back. 

• Like 2

Put it all out of sight for a bit. Another member here had the same situation, and I recommended geocaching. It’s a fun puzzle, lots of problem solving in the outdoors, and it’s free. All you need is a smartphone, some free time, and a pen to get started. There’s a paid membership, but it’s not essential.

• Like 2

Know this feel bud, I was gone from the hobby and here for a good 8-9 years, a new business and other hobby’s took my time. What been bought can be sold, and if you really want it be bought again. It’s never wasted money if it brought you even a moment of joy. 

• Like 4

Lots of really good tips ⬆️, all sound and worthy.

I’d suggest you keep your hand in here @ TC as a valued contributor, sell some Tamiya and enjoy the hobby vicariously until you feel ready to pick up your JIS screwdrivers 👍

Selling some of the kit off will release some of guilt about money spent and the feeling that they are another thing that you have to do, it is quite cathartic 😊

• Like 3

You've used some fairly strong wording in your opening post.  It might be worth taking time to look at the bigger picture of your life, not just now but over the last couple of years, and seeing if something else has changed.  You talk about a colossal waste of funds that you could've use elsewhere - were you expecting to have achieved something else by this stage in your life?  I'm old enough now to know that the mid-life crisis isn't just a plot device for soap operas, but it's a hard thing to put into words.  Spending a lot of time looking at what you've achieved (including possessions you've acquired) is part of that.

If you sold all your stuff, is there something else you could achieve?  Would it pay off the mortgage and let you work a bit less or plan for a better retirement?  Or get that classic car you always wanted?  Or retrain to do something more fulfilling?  If so, do some thought journeys and see where they take you.  If not, is there any benefit in worrying?  Unbuilt kits are unlikely to depreciate much in the foreseeable future.  Maybe once all us kids of the 80s are too arthritic to build any more, but that's a fair way off.  So if you're not tight on space or cash, there's no need to sell up right away if you don't want to.  If you're still not sure in 6 months, look at it again.

For me, personally, it's the other way around.  I often look at the huge collection of cars, parts, kits, tools, boxes, race equipment and all the other stuff that goes with being an RC enthusiast, and wonder how much more fulfilling my life could be, or how much better my daughters future could be, or how I might have become a published author or toured the world as an electronic music producer, if only I hadn't picked up a Dark Impact in the mid-00s.  I remember an interview with Orbital, in which they said they could probably have written a whole nother album if they hadn't spent so much time playing video games.  Well, I've spent so much of my life - especially the last two years - in  a workshop on my own, making RC models that I rarely have the opportunity to drive under proper conditions, that aren't eligible for racing or competition, that never get seen by anyone except through a computer screen, that aren't going to make me famous or make me a fortune or help me become a better writer or musician.  But ask me, on any given day, what would I rather do?  Bury myself in the studio writing a novel or producing some music, or stand in the workshop chopping up bits of aluminium?  The answer's easy.  Hand me the overalls and safety specs, please.

I hope you can find the peace of mind to think about it clearly.  Now, I'm off to pour a black coffee into a greasy mug, I've got aluminium to chop.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Completely normal to lose interest!

RC has been the dominant hobby of my life, I don't see that changing. But even now I will go through phases where I don't touch an RC car for 6 months and don't have any sense of missing it.

On the topic of "regrets" in the hobby, I have a couple of thoughts on how to avoid them:

1. Be selfish. It's your hobby. Do what you want to do and buy what you want to buy. Ignore the crowd. It's easy to assume that you want a 45th Anniversary Porsche when everyone else is shouting about a pre-order... but is that really the case?

2. Don't hobby above your means. It can feel like you have "wasted" money on the hobby, but it's really only a waste if you've chosen hobby spending over the essentials. Anyone that's bought a Super Avante instead of school uniform for their children has got serious problems!

Personally I have absolutely zero interest in collecting so I don't build up the stocks of unused cars and parts that a lot of people do. But I've sold plenty of things over the years. Never woken up in a sweat at night regretting it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

but it would be nice to know if something like this has happened to any of you before, and how did you handle it?

I just go off and build some static model and post in the static model thread instead. Latest "lost interest in RC" project. 

But for me, at the moment, is more of a "out of funds" or wait for delivery situation than a lost interest situation. 

• Like 1

@DeadMeat666, how long have you been in the hobby? I ask, because it is common for certain personality types to go "all in" on a hobby and then burn out. This is what @GeeWings is referring to. There's nothing wrong with it. Its just how certain people are built. I'll echo the sentiments of @matisse, if you've had some genuine fun with it and didn't put yourself into financial trouble doing it, there's no harm. Guessing that you could have done something "better" with the money can be a wasted effort. Regret is no fun (and take it from someone who regrets just about everything) but the truth is, thinking about what could have been is not all that productive. We can only change our actions moving forward, not those of the past, though we can/should learn from the past.

Has there been any other changes in your life of late, other than the possible mid-life crisis? I started taking Prozac in the last year for the first time. What I perceived to be the absolute insanity of the past 4.5 years topped with the more even mind bending response (or rather lack there-of) others have had to the pandemic drove me to it. As it took effect, my interest in everything stopped. For a couple weeks, I didn't touch the hobby (which, if you knew me, is akin to not breathing). In the end, I figured the Prozac (an SSRI) may have had the effect of tamping down my dopamine levels. Without dopamine, your get no mental "reward" for your efforts, whether its turning a door knob (at having the door open of course) or participating in a hobby. Once the dopamine's gone, if the activity is optional (as hobbies are, but not things like work), the activity is typically dropped. In my case, I'm a vegetarian and had gotten lax on ensuring I got the right amount of protein. Protein is key to dopamine production. I was on the verge of being low, but the addition of an SSRI pushed me over the edge. I added more protein into my diet and dopamine levels returned to normal and the interest came back. The point of all this is dopamine is key to us enjoying anything. If there are no biological factors, then I suggest as others have, put the hobby down for a while and then return to it. There's no point in feeling guilty if it brought you joy at one point. Life is short and if you had fun (without hurting anyone of course) then there's no sense in regretting it.

Now for some more personal stuff that may help you feel better about your situation. Feel free to skip it. I'm autistic, and as such, have very intense "special interest". These are critical to my survival and very much a security blanket to me in times of need: a safe place for my mind if you will. Aside from vintage RC, I was insanely, over-the-top crazy for cars and trucks from birth to 37 years of age. From being a toddler, mesmerized by the rotational speed differences of the tire/wheel and the visible driveshaft of the local trash truck every week to working myself into the field of automotive restoration and having my hands on rare cars costing 5 times that of my house, I ate/breathed/sleep cars. At 37, I had become a father 2 years prior, lost my own father rather violently before my own eyes 3 years prior and had been caught working at a restoration shop that had become so toxic, I still wonder how I didn't suffer a complete break at times being so gaslighted. The result? After 37 years, my interest in full size cars disappeared. I was afraid. I felt vulnerable and powerless. This constant of my life was gone. I'm 44 now and still feel sick when I look at the car hobby. I can talk about it but the thought of returning is horrifying. Then the regret settled in. I'm not a complete idiot (though I profess to be from a deep-seated self hatred) and realized just how badly I had wasted my life, my potential, over stupid stupid cars. There is so much I could have done. I found myself in a trade with close-minded, often times racist/bigoted/sexist co-workers who I shared nothing in common with outside of cars. I had to get out. My family, outside of my wife and child, quietly considers me a waste and there is truth to it but I'm also not neurotypical. The point to all this isn't to pity me or redirect attention, but rather to give you some perspective. Your words sounded familiar to me. Although its an oft-traded expression, I guess my point is, it could always be worse. I know there's others worse-off than me and must count the blessing I have. In my case, I was told (well my wife informs me) that I'm a good husband and father and in the end, it doesn't matter what I spend my money on or accomplished in life. If I'm a good husband/dad, that's good enough for me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@DeadMeat666 I have taken hiatus several times from RC as I have other hobbies (1:1 car, garage, music) that sometimes require all my spare time and energy.

Just hold onto your RC if you can and you might come around in a couple of years.  Nothing wrong with that.  

Also perfectly normal to have NIB kits for collection.  I’m sure the kits you named will increase in value through the years.  

Take a nice break and enjoy life. 

• Like 2

I did exact so with my work the last years now (started to Avoid it as much as i can and lost interest in learning the new programs etc), and i have tried every other job that i think i would like as a child & up to now. So i will ofc stay in this job i had for 20 years now until i have something else in mind which at this point i do not, but it pays all the bills and then some. 

As for the Hobby i believe its like many wrote already, if its not money that should be used on Loan, kids, foods etc its no harm spending them on whatever’s puts a smile on your face and those money spent on those Amazing and “expensive” (in Tamiya world) kits you have now are not even wasted as i believe you can close to get your money back on selling them, also they are great gifts. And Tamiya is compared to many other hobies not very pricy as the most expensive kits in normal stock is around 450-500 GBP…. Point is you do not need to even feel guilty about the money used (as some Poker players can hehe). As you describe it it sounds a bit like you should sell the kits you do not feel attached to at all for the moment, keep those that brought a smile to your face and just give the hobby some rest

• Like 2

@Mad Ax - you do great stuff in your workshop!.

As for me i recently got into modding in this hobby and i now have Dremel, Complete soldering setup, case with screws/washers etc & painting stuff and so on, point is i really enjoy creating stuff with my hands it gives me so much more than sitting in front off a computer tech suporting. I often go into my “hobbyroom” just to watch over again what i created and what i probably could do better 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

I think this happens to us all in one way or another. Whether it be full on loss of interest or just a slight waining of interest. I myself over the years have sold my collection about 3 times. Have a year break then slowly find myself getting back into it and regretting what I have sold. 

Totally agree with this, and snap, as this pretty much mirrors my own experience over the past 16 years since rediscovering Tamiya! I also agree about this being a great Forum, the best I’ve come across for anything IMHO, and one I’ve been part of on and off (often with several years break) and always felt welcomed back when I pop up again. My advice @DeadMeat666 no doubt mirroring much of what has already been shared, and based on what I’ve learned from waning interests generally, is not to react by selling, but to put your RC stuff out of sight and hence out of mind, and see if the mood takes you back to RC at some point in the next year or several. If it doesn’t, maybe sell up, and no doubt prices will be higher then in which case you’ll have wasted nothing/ less than you might feel now financially.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for their responses/takes on the matter, it's really appreciated. It's also good to know that this kind of thing is not so uncommon.

To answer some of the questions that were asked (in no particular order because I'm not that organized):

1. I'm not intending on selling anything at the moment. Half because I'm blessed enough to be financially stable right now, and half because shipping from where I am would make it both impractical and expensive to sell things, so as long as I have room for it, it's staying.

2. I don't THINK I'm having a mid-life crisis, but I could be wrong. Nothing else has changed in my life: still go to work, regularly go to the gym, etc.

3. I got back into the hobby around Dec 2019, before the 'Rona was even a thing, but I don't doubt that the pandemic gave me a lot more free time trapped at home, and fueled my resurgence through online purchases. For a while I was literally making an online order EVERY DAY. I've ordered nothing in the past 3 months; haven't even e-window shopped.

4. I guesstimate that around USD 30k have been spent since Dec 2019, so not a little (for 2 years), but not a mortgage either. But I'm sure you can see what I mean when I say to myself "did I really need to?"

5. Burn-out is probably what happened, so I'll just ride it out for now, and see how I feel as the months drag on.

Any advice on how to store 20 mostly-built kits in such a way so as they don't deteriorate? :lol: I've already taken all their wheels off so they don't develop flat spots.

• Like 7

@DeadMeat666 if you feel like going, just go. Don't take this the wrong way even though it sounds hash. It will not make you feel better if you keep looking back. When I moved halfway across the world 20 years ago, I did not even turn around to wave goodbye. Even within the UK, I moved from right across the country literally, from the extreme south to the extreme north, and each move brings new opportunities and discovery. Off you go to discover new interests and enjoyment, but know that Tamiya (and other companies) will still be making kits if you decide to return. Thinking about how much time, money and effort you had invested in something makes moving on/forwards difficult. 

Regarding your storage question, I saw some RC store style wall hanger that hangs cars up by their wheels (so that it looks like the car is driving on the wall if it make sense) that may be a good idea for storing a number of cars. I am planning to get some to store some cars above the doors in the house. 

• Like 1

@DeadMeat666  Good to hear you are financially stable.  Definitely keep your kits and RC.  

For storage, I recommend keeping them in large tubs with tires off the bottom of the sealed tub and placed in a dark, cool, dry room.  You can toss in some desiccants if your storage space is damp. 

The biggest wear accelerator appears to be UV, followed by heat and dryness.  

From my past experience going through these lapses, I decided to make my pretend RC shop this time around.  This way it's basically a cool lounge I can relax in while I'm off the hobby and still enjoy looking at the various cars and M38 convoy.    :D

• Like 1

@DeadMeat666 taking a break or having ups and downs is perfectly normal. Take a break, live your life. I noticed you werent around. 

I use 15 quart plastic storage bins to keep the cars. fits most buggys.

• Like 2

As i do not have room in City apartment i will store my RC cars like this in the common basement where its not below 15c:

spacer.png

Have not tajen them down yet :)

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

You've used some fairly strong wording in your opening post.  It might be worth taking time to look at the bigger picture of your life, not just now but over the last couple of years, and seeing if something else has changed.  You talk about a colossal waste of funds that you could've use elsewhere - were you expecting to have achieved something else by this stage in your life?  I'm old enough now to know that the mid-life crisis isn't just a plot device for soap operas, but it's a hard thing to put into words.  Spending a lot of time looking at what you've achieved (including possessions you've acquired) is part of that.

If you sold all your stuff, is there something else you could achieve?  Would it pay off the mortgage and let you work a bit less or plan for a better retirement?  Or get that classic car you always wanted?  Or retrain to do something more fulfilling?  If so, do some thought journeys and see where they take you.  If not, is there any benefit in worrying?  Unbuilt kits are unlikely to depreciate much in the foreseeable future.  Maybe once all us kids of the 80s are too arthritic to build any more, but that's a fair way off.  So if you're not tight on space or cash, there's no need to sell up right away if you don't want to.  If you're still not sure in 6 months, look at it again.

For me, personally, it's the other way around.  I often look at the huge collection of cars, parts, kits, tools, boxes, race equipment and all the other stuff that goes with being an RC enthusiast, and wonder how much more fulfilling my life could be, or how much better my daughters future could be, or how I might have become a published author or toured the world as an electronic music producer, if only I hadn't picked up a Dark Impact in the mid-00s.  I remember an interview with Orbital, in which they said they could probably have written a whole nother album if they hadn't spent so much time playing video games.  Well, I've spent so much of my life - especially the last two years - in  a workshop on my own, making RC models that I rarely have the opportunity to drive under proper conditions, that aren't eligible for racing or competition, that never get seen by anyone except through a computer screen, that aren't going to make me famous or make me a fortune or help me become a better writer or musician.  But ask me, on any given day, what would I rather do?  Bury myself in the studio writing a novel or producing some music, or stand in the workshop chopping up bits of aluminium?  The answer's easy.  Hand me the overalls and safety specs, please.

I hope you can find the peace of mind to think about it clearly.  Now, I'm off to pour a black coffee into a greasy mug, I've got aluminium to chop.

Excellent wise words👍 and indeed all of these comments! This forum is always on my most recents on my phone and tablet etc simply because it's got the most level headed people on any forum I'm a part of.

This is a dilemma I'm constantly in?  I can absolutely get obsessive with my collection and buying parts kits more parts but like a flick of a switch I just completely fall out of love with the whole lot sometimes for a few weeks but also months and then something just clicks back into gear and I start wrenching again this has happened for years (decides) so I've just learned to accept my behaviour I've also in the past sold all of my collection then a few months after regretted it badly (very badly) so now when I have one of those episodes (if you can call it that?) I just close the man cave door and forget about them! Knowing I'm still going to go on this forum and my enthusiasm will kick back on in the near future?

• Like 3

Wow I thought I was unique in experiencing the same thing.  I got back into RC about two years ago and kinda went full foot on the gas. I accumulated 15 or 16 kits.  Built most but I now have a NIB egress, Wild One Blockhead, Novafox and a partially built Super Astute.  Just before xmas I kinda lost interest. I had grand plans of building a runner Amarok and bought all the stuff to convert it to a wide chassis like the Wild Dagger.  But at the drop of a hat, I just lost interest. It's mostly built but I'm dragging my feet on painting the body because I despise cutting/painting bodies.  Part of my issue is I don't have a good dedicated workspace. The place I build has crappy lighting and if I drop a screw or part it can get lost easily.  I do still go and look at my stack of boxes and don't have plans to sell anything and I want to get back into it.  Maybe this winter I'll drag my son back into it and have him finish his Aqroshot and maybe that'll re-energize me. 

• Like 2