DeadMeat666

Another "I've completely lost interest" thread...

I have a couple of thousand invested in music gear to transfer Digital Audio Tapes...  Sitting collecting dust since I had to unplug my DAW when I turned my studio into my home office...

No motivation to go back...

Terry

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I have a couple of thousand invested in music gear to transfer Digital Audio Tapes...  Sitting collecting dust since I had to unplug my DAW when I turned my studio into my home office...

No motivation to go back...

Terry

I've been working on my music room the last week or so.. been completely off RC not because of lack of interest, but out of time and energy.. not to forget all the ethernet cables I've been routing through the floor and walls for my wife. :blink:   

The painting on the wall will be replaced with an LCD once we're done with snow here and will have a 60" mounted by a local installer.   As for DAW, I run Logic, sometimes Cubase since I am an Apple user.  I still have my TASCAM DA30MK-II in new condition.  Hope you're back with your music studio soon..!    Always good to have multiple hobbies.

IMG_2022-1-3-093421.jpg.845ccbc0cf4f6734223e7970563cba4a.jpg

• Like 2

I lose interest in RC about once a year, usually around winter time. Comes back each spring, so no problem. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I still have my TASCAM DA30MK-II in new condition. 

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

You'll find my name all over:  https://etreedb.org/shnlist.php?year=1998&artist=&artist_group_key=2

Terry Watts

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hIghQ said:

I lose interest in RC about once a year, usually around winter time. Comes back each spring, so no problem. 

What other hobbies do you do?  

RC has been mostly a winter hobby for me as I hibernate my 1:1 cars in the winter, but still crave cars and building/working on things.    As for my music hobby, I play keyboards and cajon all  year long..   I might start taking acoustic guitar lessons, but I'm a bit too old to start now if I want to become a good player.. good enough to record solos and such.  Once Covid is behind us I will probably need to travel for business a lot again which takes away from my hobby time.. so not much time left to practice a new instrument.  I usually travel 50% of the month.

• Like 1

I loose interest in everything all the time. This last year I lost interest in collecting hot wheels after a 40 year on and off run. 5 years ago I lost interest in working and driving my vintage VWs. My car s have  been on jack stands in the garage awaiting a disk brake conversion. My RC obsession trades places all the time with other hobbies like model building and music production with various peopl and bands. Recently, I bought a retro video game arcade cabinet that has my current attention. I haven’t currently given up on anything because I eventually come back depending on the time of year or time constraints with friends and family. I tend not to sell off anything because it’s more costly to repurchase everything. I currently own 27 RCs and jump from crawling to drag racing to drifting. I just put the ignored hobby away for a while knowing I’ll be back. Sometimes I’ll have a renewed interest like my vintage Astute I just decided to restore.

C93F7466-AE6F-42AE-B755-1EB276D7FAC0.jpeg

• Like 4

People are also in to hobbies for different reasons. For me, historically, it’s been about the collecting. For instance I got in to gaming late and then went full on, buying first every region version of current consoles and then buying retro. I eventually spent an absolute fortune on SNK carts (tens of thousands). I rarely played any of it despite liking the idea of doing so and once I had collected everything I was interested in I lost interest and sold it on. Like with my camera gear it accumulated value so I was never concerned about the cost.

But I have slowly realised over time that my impulse is definitely to buy something, be slightly underwhelmed and then immediately seek the next thing.

I think RC suits me as the process of building is enjoyable and the customisation through hop-ups or paint and decal etc) really appeals. Also the cost of most of the add on stuff is low so I can keep buying and tinkering. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Evilweevil said:

I just put the ignored hobby away for a while knowing I’ll be back.

Totally. My other hobbies sit in bins or storage, ready for me whenever I'm ready for them. Eventually the RC stuff will get cleaned up and put away for awhile when something else grabs my attention. I still have nearly 100 HO slot car bodies to restore, but that stuff has been packed away for a few years now while I scratch my RC itch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Any advice on how to store 20 mostly-built kits in such a way so as they don't deteriorate? :lol: I've already taken all their wheels off so they don't develop flat spots.

Besides lifting the tires, there are three main things to avoid if you want to slow down deterioration:

• Sunlight. UV deterioration.
  • High humidity and humidity cycles. It is not only humidity that brings problems, but cycling as well. On each cycle water goes in, then out of materials and that brings stretching/contracting that can cause de-bonding, delaminating, cracking, etc, over time. 
  • High temperature and temperature cycles. High temp accelerates any chemical reaction. Temperature cycling also introduces stretching/contracting that kills things over time (specially composite materials).

A good trick against temperature/humidity cycling is compartmentalization. This is why stuff kept in a bag survives much better than if kept on top of a shelf (sunlight aside). When you have stuff inside a compartment you severely dampen the cycle and achieve much more uniform conditions. Put your RC stuff inside a bag, then the bag inside a plastic box, then the plastic boxes inside a cabinet. Ideally you want the cabinet in a place where there are no big temperature swings (avoid the attic or garage). If you live in a humid place, avoid the floor. Make sure your stuff is dry before you put it inside the bag.

• Thanks 1

@DeadMeat666 sounds like you tried to compensate a hollow feeling this covid19 times make with shopping more and more to fill out that empty space, but material things does not fix such problems the just keep you bussy for some time then the real issue hit inn again and you buy more?, and as it do not help you in the end its just a natural reaction to reject the hobby and regret using all the mone on it… just a vague theory from me ofc

• Like 3

You are in the same boat as I am, I had a similar post like yours months ago, I lost all my interest in my rc cars after years , ask here on the forum wat to do sell everthing or keep it and take a brake to see of I get the spark back.

I decided to take a brake, it is now months ago and still I don't know what to do with the hobby, I did no do anything in all the months with my rc cars, I give it another few months until the weather over here is getting better in the spring an summer, if I do not get the spark back then and still do nothing with my rc cars I am going to sell everthing and move on.

For now I am enjoying other things and for a hobby I am building big lego sets and I like that a lot.

• Like 2

I tend to find the interest in my hobbies comes and goes in 'waves', so I'll be totally into RC for months/years, then I'll start to lose interest a bit and go onto something else. Circumstance also tends to dictate what hobbies I'm more 'into' at any given time. For example, I would struggle to get anything RC related done at the moment as I have nowhere to build/run/maintain any, most are buried in the back of my storage container where they've been for about 5 years now! I do plan to change this, hopefully this year when I have a sort-out of my storage and put a workbench in there (that's been the plan for the last 5 years though!) This means my interests have shifted slightly to other hobbies, such as LEGO, boomboxes, walkman's, retro gaming amongst a few others! I will get back into RC at some stage, I have 2 or 3 kits that need building, and no doubt a ton of restoration on my current collection after being stored away for so long, but I'll get there! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Oh, a few others... (usually only one at a time, the others kind of hibernate when one is active ;)).

• PC Gaming (on and off, sometimes heavily then not at all for months - but my PC is getting too old, so I need to build a new one "soon"... which is a - very occasional - hobby of itself.)
  • Model Railroad (so far mostly acquiring the vehicles I want, not even started with building any real setup yet)
  • Plastic models (very rarely, but still happens sometimes)
  • Airsoft (just recently started, not sure if I will ever go and really play much, just collecting some interesting guns, and target shooting.)
  • and the usual boring stuff like reading books (yes, actual books, printed on real paper, kids :lol:), watching movies and TV shows...

So, I have always something to spend my time with and never enough money for everything I want. :D even though not having a family kind of "helps" with the money and time side of hobbies.

But come spring, with better weather I will again enjoy going to our club and drive and race RC cars again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hIghQ said:

Oh, a few others... (usually only one at a time, the others kind of hibernate when one is active ;)).

• PC Gaming (on and off, sometimes heavily then not at all for months - but my PC is getting too old, so I need to build a new one "soon"... which is a - very occasional - hobby of itself.)
  • Model Railroad (so far mostly acquiring the vehicles I want, not even started with building any real setup yet)
  • Plastic models (very rarely, but still happens sometimes)
  • Airsoft (just recently started, not sure if I will ever go and really play much, just collecting some interesting guns, and target shooting.)
  • and the usual boring stuff like reading books (yes, actual books, printed on real paper, kids :lol:), watching movies and TV shows...

So, I have always something to spend my time with and never enough money for everything I want. :D even though not having a family kind of "helps" with the money and time side of hobbies.

But come spring, with better weather I will again enjoy going to our club and drive and race RC cars again.

Awesome, man.  I too never understood people that get bored when they are “stuck” at home.    Home is a great place to be for hobbies.   :lol:  Enjoy your winter.  

• Like 3

@hIghQ - Yeah go check those prices on High end Graphic cards at the moment, for only 1 card you coud buy 6 Top Force Evo 

Amazon UK think those are the only ones in Stock there :

spacer.png

I used to buy those High end Nvidia/Ati cards every year (when i new serie comes out), and this time i need mainboard, cpu, dram also ... the horror. For those that think Tamiya RC car hobby is expensive 

I can relate. Nothing lasts forever. I’ve lost count of the hobbies I’ve lost interest in. The thought of working on full size cars (something I used to love) no longer holds my interest, cycling is something I did a decade ago. Shooting, collecting (stamps/ coins/ notes/ cigars), learning the piano/ guitar/ trumpet - I’m incapable of sticking at anything it seems… only 1 ex wife though ;)

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, simalarion said:

@hIghQ - Yeah go check those prices on High end Graphic cards at the moment, for only 1 card you coud buy 6 Top Force Evo 

Amazon UK think those are the only ones in Stock there :

spacer.png

I used to buy those High end Nvidia/Ati cards every year (when i new serie comes out), and this time i need mainboard, cpu, dram also ... the horror. For those that think Tamiya RC car hobby is expensive 

:blink: Wow, that's even more than I had previously seen (not in stock though). But no, that's not even remotely close to what I am ready to pay. When the COVID chaos ends one day, prices will return to normal again - I can wait. Got enough other hobbies that are not as ridiculously expensive as PC gaming hardware is right now.

I've been in the hobby at various levels since I was able to comprehend what RC was.  As a very young child, I remember looking through my mum's home shopping catalogues and seeing small pictures of Sand Scorchers and Wild Willies, day dreaming about them, all the while.  I used to see adults blasting them around the park or up and down a street somewhere.

I used to own various toy grade cars, that were only ever suitable for indoor use, and didn't hold much thrill.  I had a Lego remote controlled kit that had instructions for several different models.  My favourite was the buggy, which I built and then followed through the house, manually steering it around furniture.

As I got older, I became more obsessed with RC, even though it was still an imaginary hobby.  My other hobbies were Lego Town, plastic model kits - Airfix and Matchbox, and fishkeeping -  I now work in an aquatic store and am manager of the freshwater livestock section.  With work came less time, and building and painting plastic model kits came to an end, as I simply didn't have the time to spend on them.

Later, other things became more important - nightclubbing and girls, girls, girls.  Oh my god, the GIRLS!!!

But several years prior to the girls, as a young teenager|, I finally got what I could call a proper RC buggy.  A Taiyo Jet Hopper.  OK, so it was still toy grade, but it was fast and could take on terrain that other toys just couldn't handle.  It served me well for two years, half an hour every day. 

At sixteen, I finally received a hobby grade RC for Christmas that year - 1990.  A Madcap.  My mum bought it from one of those home shopping catalogues.  It came with an Acoms MkV radio, a Tamiya 1200 mAh battery and RiKo trickle charger.  I spent two days building it.  It was a very  exciting time.  I was very proud of myself and the car.  On it's first couple of outings, it used to wheelie under hard throttle.

I took it out every day for two years, made homemade repairs and raced it a little on Sundays with a load of other kids in a car park.  And then I turned 18, and oh, look, girls!

But I kept the car.  I still loved the car, and the hobby.  A couple of my girlfriends even bought me a kit - a Ta02 truck and a Juggernaut 2.

I found work and money, and spent a little here and there on the hobby.  Upgrades for the Madcap, (got a TTC for Christmas that year) a new kit once in a while.  I still had a bash every now and then.   The hobby never left me, despite other distractions and responsibilities. 

In 1999, Lego and Lucasfilm got together, and Star Wars Lego appeared in the shops.  It took me a while to loose my adultness about it, but I eventually shook it off and started collecting Lego Star Wars kits.  Some of those models are amazing, and are so much easier to fit into an everyday life when compared to plastic model kits with all their gluing and painting. etc.

Then came the Internet.  Hey, more girls.  Whoa!  What are they doing?  

But apart from that, the internet gave me access to vintage Tamiya websites, such as Blazer Frazer and Tamiya101, and eventually Tamiyaclub.com.

And then there was Ebay, and it's only snowballed from there.  One day, I half expect a personal delivery from Anthony Gascoine, considering the amount of items I've bought from him and his company.

I'm a hoarder, and the hobby has never left me, although it has changed through the years, from mostly bashing and a little light racing, to restoring and just collecting for the sake of owning a car I could only dream about as a kid, now to have it displayed on the shelf alongside many others.  I'm a collector.  I don't need to run the cars to enjoy them.  Owning them is pleasure enough.  But I have a collection of hundreds of spares and upgrade parts, including vintage items.  i still spend a little time restoring old beaters (vanquish and Frog at the moment).  I still have my original Madcap, and I still run her from time to time.  I still love tweaking and upgrading.  I still scour Ebay for parts an cars that may never get used, or might just come in handy one day, whether on a car, or for the worst case scenario - rent money.  It's all a potential investment, but I have never sold a thing so far.  I'm a collector, a hoarder, and that's what the hobby has part become for me right now.  I'll never leave it, but it will probably take on yet another form in the future.

• Like 3

Speaking of Lego, I think I might make some trail/climbing terrain for my trucks down the road as I only drive my cars indoors these days.. will get buckets of standard bricks in black gray white.. 

• Like 1

As someone else with multiple hobbies, I’ve always seen it as time(money)/joy. You only have so much time and you can never go back, so might as well do what makes you happy in you spare time. Everything is a trade off. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:35 PM, Willy iine said:

Speaking of Lego, I think I might make some trail/climbing terrain for my trucks down the road as I only drive my cars indoors these days.. will get buckets of standard bricks in black gray white.. 

That’s a brilliant idea. 

I have by no means lost interest, but I am in a definite “holding pattern “ for RC right now . Most of my nitro cars and a couple of Tamiyas are in storage 800 miles away. 
I am planning to move in a few months. And will be job and house hunting as i transition back  to civilian life after 20 years

As I type this it is -40 wind chill , so I’m not really playing with any RC outdoors right now.   I have an RC10gt I want to paint a body for , but it is too cold to paint in my garage as it is Unheated  For playing indoors I still have mini crawler and a Lunchbox Mini.

12 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

That’s a brilliant idea. 

Thanks.. if anyone in the USA can direct me to an online store where I can buy gray, black, white bricks in bulk, please let me know!

Usually they come with assorted colors and I have no interest in the other colors..

I suppose I can visit my local Lego store once omicron goes away...

On 1/3/2022 at 10:20 AM, Willy iine said:

RC has been mostly a winter hobby for me as I hibernate my 1:1 cars in the winter, but still crave cars and building/working on things.    As for my music hobby, I play keyboards and cajon all  year long..   I might start taking acoustic guitar lessons, but I'm a bit too old to start now if I want to become a good player.. good enough to record solos and such.  Once Covid is behind us I will probably need to travel for business a lot again which takes away from my hobby time.. so not much time left to practice a new instrument.  I usually travel 50% of the month.

I hibernate my 1:1 cars in the winter too and spend some of my time with my RCs.  I've seen your pics of your RCs, what kind of 1:1 cars are you into?

• Like 1