Bunty

Lancia xv01 or tt02?

Hi guys, 

I fancy getting a lancia rally car and am un decided which kit to go for? 

the xv01 is pretty much double the price, is it worth it? I will be wanting to run it brushless with probably a hobbywing max 10 3300kv if you think that’s suitable? 

whatever version kit you recommend, is there any must have hop ups I need to build it with? 

thanks again everyone! 

• Like 1

I can't really help with your choice but I bought an XV-01 kit recently, also the Lancia. A lesser need for hop ups narrowed the price difference but I went for it also for the front engined scale driving and an interest in the more involved kit. I will also try the longer travel mod at some point. I haven't started the build yet though, and might not for some time with other projects on the go. 

I get the impression the XV-01 is pretty good out of the box but I also picked up aluminium suspension mounts XJ, 1XJ and 1XM because they're supposedly a solution to a common point of failure and IIRC lost dog bones.

I'll try various motors and expect to settle on something similar to what you suggest. Maybe a 13.5t brushless. I have a 10BL60 ESC which I hope will fit, maybe with removal or repositioning of fan. 

If you are new to the hobby or returning to it after a long period away I’d say buy the TT02 and see how you get on. 

The hobby is imo time consuming and expensive.

If you have been active for a while then as all the feedback about the XV01 is excellent, then it is worth paying the extra money for it. 

• Like 1

Ok thank you guys, I have recently built a clodbuster, neo fighter, midnight pumpkin, lunchbox, and a few more so I’m not worried about building it, more so just not entirely sure what the difference is between the two kits and if it’s worth it or not considering I want to run brushless lipo. Would that be too much for either kit without further upgrading? 

thanks! 

• Like 1

I will run brushless and lipo in mine, but not a crazy powerful version of. I can't direct you to any evidence but I did satisfy myself it would be fine. One concern on the XV-01 is battery fitment but again I have satisfied myself that I will find a way. Others have. 

Have a XV and really like it. Only issue is ESC and Cell choice. not much room for either if not using "specified kit" servo size/choice can also cause the output to foul chassis.

Ok thanks guys, I was more worried about it damaging the drive train easily but you think both kits are up to it out the box? 

I went with the TT-02 for my re-entry to the hobby. The XV-01 was the other choice, but it's near double the price so I played it safe. 

One thing I will say though is that the XV-01 pitches and bucks around like a real rally car every time I see a video of one. Looks fantastic.

I would say double the price but 3 times as capable. The XV01 is a marvellous chassis for on road and off.. it’s also a more interesting build than a Tt02. Having said that I had a blast bashing a TT02 around as well. By the time you’ve bought a few hopups for the TT02 you won’t be far off the XV01 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I would say double the price but 3 times as capable. The XV01 is a marvellous chassis for on road and off.. it’s also a more interesting build than a Tt02. Having said that I had a blast bashing a TT02 around as well. By the time you’ve bought a few hopups for the TT02 you won’t be far off the XV01 

Very true. Eventually, I'll probably end up getting an XV-01, and end up spending money on hop-ups for it as well. Who was I trying to fool being sensible and getting a TT-02 to save some money?:D

XV-01 no doubt.

As an owner who had also driven/built a few TT-02 (R/S/SR variants) kits before, the latter is nowhere near the capability and drive fun factor of the XV-01.

I would say get the XV01 - it's got a nice enclosed drive system and is pretty dust proof out of the box. It doesn't really need that many hopups (if any)

It's a definite step up from a TT02 with better plastics, oil filled gear diffs, and good suspension geometry if you want to run on rougher surfaces or smooth tarmac.

The long damper spec version is a good version of the kit to get IMO - but a regular XV01 can easily be converted if you so choose.

I wouldn't consider any hopups as essential, but if you like hopping your car's up then front CVDs are probably worth it, the carbon reinforced plastic sprues are cheap (and a great alternative to buying aluminium suspension blocks).

Ok thanks guys, so sounds like the xv01 is the one to go for!! 

I have  never used a slipper clutch before, I take it that it can handle 2s lipo? 

16 minutes ago, Bunty said:

I have  never used a slipper clutch before, I take it that it can handle 2s lipo? 

2S lipo is only slightly more powerful than a 6S NiMH (in fact they both starts at 8.4v fully charged), nothing to worry about there. If you are talking about 4S, then there could be a problem. 

You don’t need a slipper clutch. I’ve had my XV01 for almost 10 years, never had the slipper 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

2S lipo is only slightly more powerful than a 6S NiMH (in fact they both starts at 8.4v fully charged), nothing to worry about there. If you are talking about 4S, then there could be a problem. 

It depends the motor you use and what Amp it consumes. A Lipo 2S battery with a proper discharge rate is able to provide much more Amps than a 6S NiMH...

51 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

It depends the motor you use and what Amp it consumes. A Lipo 2S battery with a proper discharge rate is able to provide much more Amps than a 6S NiMH...

Yes, but the question was regarding a slipper clutch, not amps. A same motor that works with 6S NiMHs surely will not kill the slipper clutch with 2S lipo right? 

7 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Yes, but the question was regarding a slipper clutch, not amps. A same motor that works with 6S NiMHs surely will not kill the slipper clutch with 2S lipo right? 

Well, with a bigger motor Amp consumption, the limit would come from the nimh. Regardless, I know some people using 4600kv brushless motors with lipo 2s without any issue.... But expect to change the slipper pads more often than with a silver can motor :-)