Sign in to follow this  
Rally!

Tamiya TT02 High Speed Gear Set 68T QUESTION

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, I've recently ordered the 68T high speed spur gear for my Quattro TT-02.

My question is can I still run with the stock pinion gear that came with the kit, or do I need to replace it with something else?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Rally! said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, I've recently ordered the 68T high speed spur gear for my Quattro TT-02.

My question is can I still run with the stock pinion gear that came with the kit, or do I need to replace it with something else?

Thanks.

Stock 22T pinion wirh the 68T spur will give you a gear ratio of 8.04 instead of 8.27 on the stock 70T spur. Use fitting position E instead of G. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Stock 22T pinion wirh the 68T spur will give you a gear ratio of 8.04 instead of 8.27 on the stock 70T spur. Use fitting position E instead of G. 

Okay, Thanks @alvinlwh . Much appreciated. 

The original kit 22T pinion while suitable, will wear out very quickly. It is made of very basic aluminium (very shiny silvery color). Once a pinion wears out, it will chew you spur badly. I'll recommend running no more than 10 battery packs before you open up the car to perform an inspection.

Ideally for a tough basher you would want a steel pinion. Otherwise hard-coated or fluorine-coated pinions will still last longer than the kit version and have less mass.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

The original kit 22T pinion while suitable, will wear out very quickly. It is made of very basic aluminium (very shiny silvery color). Once a pinion wears out, it will chew you spur badly. I'll recommend running no more than 10 battery packs before you open up the car to perform an inspection.

Ideally for a tough basher you would want a steel pinion. Otherwise hard-coated or fluorine-coated pinions will still last longer than the kit version and have less mass.

Thanks @OoALEJOoO

I've heard that moving to a steel pinion is a wise choice. Excuse my ignorance but does Tamiya make a steel replacement version of the stock pinion?

Others might correct me but I think Tamiya does not make steel pinions in 0.6 mod. Other manufacturers do, make sure it is 0.6 mod if you want to use the 68T (or stock 70T) spur.

Tamiya makes hard coated pinions (dull brass colored) all the way up to 25T I believe. From 26T to 29T, Tamiya offers them with flourine-coating (dull silver color). I've used both types with good results. They last much longer than the stock but not as much as steel.

Regular spare Tamiya 0.6 mod pinions, although not labeled as hard-coated, do have some layer of coating that makes them slightly more dark than the stock shiny versions, which makes them last some more. The stock shiny pinions are quite short-lived.

14 minutes ago, Rally! said:

@OoALEJOoO Thanks for the reply. I have a noob question: What does '0.6 mod' mean?

It is just a size, think of them are units of measure, say, mod is like cm and dp is inches. They are usually not interchangeable. The size you need is 0.6mod.

• Like 1

Please correct me if I am wrong but thought the point of the high speed gear set was to be able to run a wide variety of spurs.  So if you get the yeah racing motor mount and high speed gear set you can break free from Tamiya pinions. 

You can change to a 48p spur and then use 48p pinions for example. 

I have all this stuff on order for my sons TT02B so I hope I am correct… lol. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DPR250R said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but thought the point of the high speed gear set was to be able to run a wide variety of spurs.  So if you get the yeah racing motor mount and high speed gear set you can break free from Tamiya pinions. 

You can change to a 48p spur and then use 48p pinions for example. 

I have all this stuff on order for my sons TT02B so I hope I am correct… lol. 

Yes thats right. I would switch to 48p in your case as they are far more common than .6mod and similar in size. To me thats the real benefit of the high speed gearset

• Like 1