Rupke

Lunchbox/CW01 motor mount

Hi, 

I'm new on this forum, so I hope I post it on the right location. 

I am trying to play with the gearing of my lunchbox. The standard pinion, as you prob know, has a long shape. If I look at the whole setup, motor and pinion, I fail to understand why the motor has a ,about ,10mm distance from the gearbox (the plastic motormount). This looks like why the pinion bit has to be longer.

So my question is, basically, why does the lunchbox have the motormount/adapter thus a longer pinion gear bit?. 

I have a brushless motor combo from Hobbywing, and besides having the urge to mount wings to the lunchbox 😁, im trying to play a little with the pinions. Thus I need to make it able to adapt to a larger pinion. 

Any tips and directions in this motor vs CW01? 

To add, I know the lunchbox is a little bumpy car, but I drive it a lot on a beach, and love to see it speeding over the wet sand 🚙💨

Thanks in advance

Rob

You could fit a 540 size can into the gearbox like the Hornet set up  , but the LB stock pinion / gear ratio is set to accomodate the large tyres and LB performance

• Thanks 1

@KEV THE REV can you explain a bit more about what you mean? Are you saying the truck is set-up correctly as is?

I ordered an adjustable motor mount for my lunchbox and have had no trouble using normal 540 motors with whatever pinions I like (basically doing what @Rupke suggests and dispensing with the strange extra-long pinion).

@Rupke After much experimentation I finally decided that switching pinions was not worth the hassle on the lunchbox (setting the mesh is rather tricky). There are so many brushless motors on the market in so many different KV ratings, and you can pair the motor with 2s, 3s, and 4s lipos (if you so choose, assuming you have an ESC that can handle the voltage) that you almost don't need to mess with the pinion gear. You can get the right RPM, torque etc through motor, battery and ESC selection.

You can of course also change the pinions, but you might get tired of that as I did.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies sofar.

Yes, i do realise that the T10 pinion is made to suit the whole LB as is.. But due to the upgrade to a brushless motor, id like to change that. More power means, without changing gearing, that the LB will wear only backtyres because the front tyres wont be touching the ground much. I had to tone down the punch on the ESC to avoid launches, and on lowest setting it does control a lot better. But to go ahead, I want to increase the speed by going up a few notches with the gearing.  The fact that the LB standard has a motormount that thick, about 10mm, made me wonder why they added it, as it involved the need of a longer pinion instead of using standard pinions. Which was my main question..  why the motormount and long pinion bit on a stock LB?

If you say, use a adjustable motormount.. can you give an example?

Thanks again.

To add,  I tried an upgrade, as I was a tad bored with the brushed motor, went up with the enhanced 540 can from Tamiya, but didnt really fill that need for speed gap. So I got a brushless combo, ESC and motor from Hobbywing, EZrunMax10 with an EZrun 3652 i recall. 5400kv. I intended the set for my Tt02, but wanted to give it a try in my LB. Gave me something to do around xmas period. I normally drive the LB on the beach, the wet/dry zone, as its a bit more solid. It drives very nice, but as said before, the punch was to powerfull to keep the LB on the ground when driving off. Now that its lower, i was wondering to up the gearing and up the punch again to gain a little more speed. Not that its slow, it goes like the wind if im honoust, just trying to maximize the potential, as its a fun car to mess about with imo. 😁

4 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

can you explain a bit more about what you mean? Are you saying the truck is set-up correctly as is?

The LB will only take so much power without it becoming undriveable being a short wheelbase , you can change out parts as you have done to improve speed , but unless you stop the wheelie performance part of the LB and weight the front etc it will just want to back flip and such

I believe you can fit a 17 tooth pinion from the hornet which has the same gearbox without the motor mount..

I haven't tried this myself, I usually just up the voltage to go faster.

I find 3s lipo gives a much wider rev range than 2s.. more controllable on 3s because of the increased rev range.

Control is done with the trigger.

Hope this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

Thanks,

Guess the electric way is the easier way.

I give it a go, atm im on 7.4 NiMH, my ESC should be able to do 2-3s, new battery it is then, thanks guys. 👍

New battery and charger has to be the cheapest bang for buck power increase..

3s lipo.. and then come back and tell us you want faster.. lol

• Thanks 1