53HRA

HUGE RC auction

Spotted this online. It appears to be a serious collection of some pretty amazing cars, parts and kits!

Very sad to see such a collection at auction being sold in one bulk ? Does anyone know who the collector was / is?  possibly shodog? 

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=3641531&category=0&zip=&kwd=

• Thanks 2

I was thinking that, it's more like a shop than a collection!

What an amazing set of images...if it isn't a shop it's gonna really rile the anti-hoarding police!!

Possibly a shop owner died with no one else taking over the business? That is usually what an estate is. 

Yeah,The auction listing says estate sale.

This is about a 2 hour drive away from me I think before this posting went up my wife had mentioned “there’s a big estate sale in Killdeer that says it has RC cars “

If I remember from the local post she showed me, the guy also had a lot of die cast tractor and farm toys as well.  I’d presume there was a lot of 1:1 vehicles and tools in there as well 

I also just  noticed the listing says it is  from March, that seems to line up with the memory of when my wife mentioned  it. 

Amazing. Some fine items there and still new in box. If I were you Dakratfink: start saving some money and make the 2 hour drive.

wow. I went through the pics. this is pretty amazing. if anything it goes to show that things are absolutely still out there. however it does unfortunately bring up the point about hoarders. There is alot of stock there that is seriously in demand. I have to assume this is a private collector. Boxes and boxes of sealed kits. WHY??

I think this thread is going to be popular. The spares are impressive and i can read alot of the part numbers. Just a wow situation   

• Like 1

This is incredible.  Looked through all of the images and am absolutely blown away.  I'm not a collector or a even a wealth of knowledge on vintage Tamiya, but this has to be the biggest/best collection of NIB classic Tamiya on the planet.  While it does start out looking like a shop with all of the spares & modern kits, by the end it has to be a collector (or maybe a collector that jsut happened to run a hobby shop).  I am blown away by the content here.  

Not really familiar with how auction like this work, but someone will probably get a great deal on this stuff.  It would take ages to sell everything for top dollar and with an estate clearly it will all go at once.  Just unbelievable.

42 minutes ago, svenb said:

@Juhunio will be bidding

There's blue ta04 steering set!!

I know!!! I imagine it will be some kind of job lot rather than piecemeal?

Holy wow. Sad in a way, I suppose, but as Don Henley said, "You don't see no hearses with luggage racks..."

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this, and most likely bidding on some stuff. There are so many kits there, I should have a decent shot at something.

I'm guessing it's a former shop owner.   This has gone one for over 10 years in the BMX world - there was a BMX shop legend in Oklahoma who passed away over 10 years ago, he had a warehouse of stock, and his kids are selling it off.   They're getting near the end after nearly 10 years of selling on eBay.  Almost everything was NOS. 

This looks to be a similar situation in many regards.

That mint color Sand Scorcher has given me wood.

• Haha 3

Whoever is running this is nuts not to sell it off in pieces but I understand the bulk sale argument.

It would take probably years to sell all of this piece by piece on eBay.

I mean a stack of 8 original Wild Willies, what's that worth?  At least $1000 each conservatively?

Just now, JeffSpicoli said:

Whoever is running this is nuts not to sell it off in pieces but I understand the bulk sale argument.

I mean a stack of 8 original Wild Willies, what's that worth?  At least $1000 each conservatively?

So its all being sold as a lot?  Not sure how these usually work.  If so they're going to leave a lot on the table.  Not many people with the spare coin to buy the entire lot which will keep the final bid down, but even the high end stuff individually would net tens of thousands here I'd think.  

"Larry had many hobbies and was even in the process of opening a hobby store. His favorite band was “Kiss” and he enjoyed sharing his love of the band by taking family and friends to shows with him. Larry was a collector of many things including toy tractors, RC cars and antiques. His favorite holiday was the Fourth of July and he would often put on a great show with tons of fireworks."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JeffSpicoli said:

The auction company is just out to make a quick buck, they will not have the time to list bits and pieces off on Ebay. This lot, could possibly be already split off from others of the estate, and just grouped into "models" or "toys".

Whatever they do with it, hats off to Larry. I have just thoroughly enjoyed an hour marvelling at that collection, what an archive. Rest in peace man

• Like 4

It sounds like based on the description there will be "lots" - I am guessing they're going to lump stuff together in smaller units of multiple items.

How they will do that who knows.

I guess that will make more sense and take a lot less time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 87lc2 said:

So its all being sold as a lot?  Not sure how these usually work.  If so they're going to leave a lot on the table.  Not many people with the spare coin to buy the entire lot which will keep the final bid down, but even the high end stuff individually would net tens of thousands here I'd think.  

Unfortunately, that is how wealth works, if you have money, you can easily make more money. Someone with money will buy the lot at way below market price because they have the coin to buy it all at once, and then sell it off one at a time.

Now, if only TC members (assuming this auction is still live) can get together and crowdfund a bid in and split the lot. 

• Like 2

If they are referring to this estate I think they'll chop it down into smaller bits.   

You'd need a shop owner with a ton of capital or buying power to soak this entire lot up.  Don't get me wrong, if you could get this entire lot for the right price, you could make a fortune.

"keep watching for all info and updates and sale lots."