53HRA

HUGE RC auction

I just called the auction house and told them Larry wanted me to have the entire collection and carry on his legacy.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Finnsllc said:

@Willy iine Theres like 15 originals Willys in box

Thanks for thinking about me. :D

I was a bit worried someone had quoted me asking if my pretend RC shop hit yet another pretend financial snag and was having a total liquidation going out of business sale as my son predicted after getting evicted from my old RC space unable to come up with rent.   :lol:

• Haha 2

Just looking more into Larry from Killdeer, a city of 751 (751 is considered a "city"?) and he is planning to set up a hobby store? I may have hope of setting one up in my town of 9293 (county of 22100). I was concerned that my local population maybe too small to support a hobby shop but he will be my inspiration now.

If it were in the $20-30K range I'd buy it, take some time off work and split it up.  I suspect it will go for more than that, but will be keeping an eye out.  Looks like its in the middle of nowhere North Dakota, I think the biggest challenge would be getting it all home. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Just looking more into Larry from Killdeer, a city of 751 (751 is considered a "city"?) and he is planning to set up a hobby store? I may have hope of setting one up in my town of 9293 (county of 22100). I was concerned that my local population maybe too small to support a hobby shop but he will be my inspiration now.

I was thinking that too...guess it would probably be like @Willy iine's shop, for him only :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

If it were in the $20-30K range I'd buy it, take some time off work and split it up.  I suspect it will go for more than that, but will be keeping an eye out.  Looks like its in the middle of nowhere North Dakota, I think the biggest challenge would be getting it all home. 

I didn't even realize the place was in the USA.   Dibs on the 15 Willy's.  ;) jk

• Haha 1

If you look at the actual listing, it says "Keep watching for all info and updates and sale lots." So it will likely not be piecemeal, but some lots may be reasonable, especially for the stuff there's a lot of that aren't particularly collectible (all those TL01 kits, for example). It sounds like they're going to at least try to list things carefully. Who knows, if it wasn't a sudden passing, Larry may have had a hand in setting up how he wanted it sold off. This could be a great opportunity for a lot of us to walk away with something special, even if a few people buy up big lots and then split them up later.

But unless whoever buys some of these lots just squirrels them away again, this is going to have an impact on sales prices and values for vintage kits. A sudden glut of probably 50 or so SRB kits alone is going to drop prices on them, at least temporarily. And not to be ghoulish about it but let's be honest, this is the first of many estate sales like this that will happen over the years and decades, and the demand will dwindle each time, as will the prices.

All I know is this year just got a lot more interesting for my favorite hobby...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markbt73 said:

If you look at the actual listing, it says "Keep watching for all info and updates and sale lots." So it will likely not be piecemeal, but some lots may be reasonable, especially for the stuff there's a lot of that aren't particularly collectible (all those TL01 kits, for example). It sounds like they're going to at least try to list things carefully. Who knows, if it wasn't a sudden passing, Larry may have had a hand in setting up how he wanted it sold off. This could be a great opportunity for a lot of us to walk away with something special, even if a few people buy up big lots and then split them up later.

But unless whoever buys some of these lots just squirrels them away again, this is going to have an impact on sales prices and values for vintage kits. A sudden glut of probably 50 or so SRB kits alone is going to drop prices on them, at least temporarily. And not to be ghoulish about it but let's be honest, this is the first of many estate sales like this that will happen over the years and decades, and the demand will dwindle each time, as will the prices.

All I know is this year just got a lot more interesting for my favorite hobby...

I thought you were going to say you were going to revise your budget for this year due to new turn of events.. eventually ending up with @alvinlwh 's approach of winging it by ear.   :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

I thought you were going to say you were going to revise your budget for this year due to new turn of events.. eventually ending up with @alvinlwh 's approach of winging it by ear.   :lol:

It's going to have an effect on my thinking, that's for sure. I'll have to wait and see how the lots are divvied up, and what hits the show floor at Nuremberg next month, and weigh my options. I will keep the overall spending down to half or less of what it was last year, no matter what.

A new in box TL01 sounds not that spectaculair but for me it is like winning the lottery. I saw some interesting sets in one of the pictures, for example the Ford Focus rally.

16 minutes ago, No Slack said:

A new in box TL01 sounds not that spectaculair but for me it is like winning the lottery. I saw some interesting sets in one of the pictures, for example the Ford Focus rally.

I'd be perfectly happy with a NIB TL01. Except that if I wanted to keep one NIB, I'd have to buy two - I like driving those things too much. Really miss them, in the era of TT02-everything.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I know that going way off topic on that thread is the right direction to go as it is all but a pipe dream. 

Just kidding @markbt73! 😁

Maybe TC could make a Fundraise and win the auction.

In an other Forum we do pay stuff toghether to save some miney etc.

• Like 2

That is one serious collection! All those super champ boxes and 4 Ford rangers! I only want one of them! So is this person still with us? Or is it definitely a estate sale from someone who has passed away? 

36 minutes ago, moffman said:

So is this person still with us? Or is it definitely a estate sale from someone who has passed away? 

Definitely quite dead, had been for a few months now. 

• Like 2

For everyone above who said “looks like it’s the middle of nowhere North Dakota, accurate. lol

Local buzz was Larry sold the oil drilling rights to his all and and made his fortune off mineral/ drilling rights.  I never met him, but he seems like he would have been a nice guy to meet and hang out with.

• Like 2

I don't think there is anything else than middle of nowhere ND.   A guy I work with moved there recently from NC.  And I pray for him and having to deal with winters.

I will never move back to Wisconsin except to be buried some day.

I was kinda shocked to not see a 58025 in there.  But oh well. 

Wow.... I remember mailing a few things to North Dakota nearly 20 years ago on ebay.  Makes me wonder how many collectors are in North Dakota.?.   Intrigued to see what happens next with this collection.

Would be very surprised if any of this went cheap. If they split it up in to small or even individual lots plenty of us average Tamiya fans will be bidding and prices will rise. Bigger lots will put people off but given the rarity and resale value there will be enough willing to treat it as an investment. 

• Like 1

I remember Larry, not personally but remembered he bought 20 set of NIB SS rear tires from me  more than 20 years ago. Back then Tamiya collectors will communicate through phone via Tamiya RC enthusiasts magazine’s Ads. I remembered the guy as his town’s unusual name “Killdeer” that stuck to my mind. He was big spender and knows exactly what he want. 
This is sad news , RIP Larry 

• Like 4

Lol, *I* live in North Dakota, albeit on other side of the state from Killdeer.

For those not familiar with USA geography, "the other side of the state" can mean a long trip.

• Like 1

Wow. Doesn't seem much point in getting involved in the auction as I'm in the UK, but best of luck to anyone in the US who is thinking of bidding. Larry was clearly a guy who loved the hobby and you'd hope he'd want the collection to be in the hands of enthusiasts rather than speculators.

When I first got into the hobby 35 or so years ago, I never thought we'd be in a position where RC kits would be bought and stored as appreciating assets, like property, classic cars or works of art, but here we find ourselves.

This is absolutely bananas. I'm sure the family doesn't want to deal with this stuff so are selling in bulk.  Will be very interesting to see who ends up with this.  You'd almost have to pool some resources with other guys, hope you win, then someone is taking a darn trailer to ND to load up everything.  But it could be very lucrative for the person willing to put the time in.  I guess. The negative for the estate is Tamiya is not nearly as popular in the US anymore as it is elsewhere in the world. 

Throwing this out there...I'd be interested in being part of a party that bids on this. I don't know how you'd figure out money, or determine who gets what, and it could get messy but I'd be down for the adventure.