53HRA

HUGE RC auction

We are what...1 hour into the pre-bidding and some of the prices are completely bonkers already.  $155 already for an original Wild One that has been rummaged through and scavenged and filled with replacement/spare parts.  There's one bidder throwing around a lot of money already.

6 hours ago, A-Baum said:

We are what...1 hour into the pre-bidding and some of the prices are completely bonkers already.  $155 already for an original Wild One that has been rummaged through and scavenged and filled with replacement/spare parts.  There's one bidder throwing around a lot of money already.

Just wait, a lot of these bidders have forgotten there is also a 6 percent bidders fee on the item, AND if not picking it up (most won't), have no idea on how bad the shipping will be. you're bidding on a blind shipping value.

Yep. Lots of posts about it already but while there was HOPE of bargains to be had it’s always seemed unlikely. The audience might not be huge but it doesn’t need to be. There are plenty of Tamiya fans with disposable cash and a long list of “must have” hard to find cars who would be willing to take a punt. These auctions might end up making eBay seem like a discount market 😆

I know the feeling. I’m not bidding on a single thing till the last day… if there’s anything left I can afford, I’ll place it then 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raman36 said:

I know the feeling. I’m not bidding on a single thing till the last day… if there’s anything left I can afford, I’ll place it then 

as soon as this verification email comes through i'm going high right away.  i'm gonna bid my max.  if someone wants to overpay i'm good.

10 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Bidding on the Golf, stay outta my way folks.  I don't wanna hurt anybody if you know what i'm sayin.'

:ph34r::)

Come on now. Can't you just get a Lupo or Polo and leave the serious fun for me? 

• Like 1

there has to be more than this, the photos I recall had MASSIVE amounts of stuff, this must be a first auction of lots.  

anyone else take a long time to get the verification email?  i hate when these verifications come trickling in at some weird time.

There are 3 auctions. One has all the new in box. The other 2 have built and mix of parts. 

2 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

There are 3 auctions. One has all the new in box. The other 2 have built and mix of parts. 

Are they all running concurrently?

Yes 

This is the home page.. you can kind of see the 3 listings

titles are: 

1. Tamiya RC Catalog Mini Auction

2. Huge collection of Tamiya and RC Day 1

3. Huge collection of Tamiya and RC Day 2

Why they did it this way, is beyond me 

2A19627D-58FD-4F8F-9618-DB5360706963.png

I might need to look at it on a laptop, when I try to view it on my iPad it takes forever to load and seems very clunky

They probably got nervous as bidding flattened. Only false advertising was shipping at your cost? Umm no, you said $35 for shipping 

I am watching almost 50 items, I do not believe I will bid on anything.

Just my observations:

Some of the newer kits which are still available to buy at other outlets have been bid up higher then their cost on the open market, at least the kits I was watching

Some of the NIB kits I was watching have been bid up higher then eBay prices, before the buyer premium and shipping have been added

Some of the pieced together vintage kits have been bid too high for the "completeness gamble", well, at least for me

So of 50 items, I might bid on two. 

Still a good opportunity to get something vintage/rare/hard to get, but definitely no bargains IMO.

Kind of strange to see some of the prices some of these items have been bid up to? At the inflated prices, I do not see much "upswing" for a "flipper".

Who knows.................

Forgot all about this auction...again.  Sorry that there aren't many great deals out there, was hoping for TC members to get some cool vintage stuff at good prices.  

I'm watching some cheap/basic stuff, but it all went past my price point.  I don't feel the urge to build up a collection (I know, weird!), so my bid point was pretty low.  There are some pretty amazingly high prices on the other end of the spectrum!

It really is a shame that this mans collection wont truly go where i hope he would have wanted it to go. But, good for his Family  

• Like 1

[Disclaimer: The following words represent my personal opinion.  This may not align with the opinion of others.]

The auction has been VERY interesting... in many ways.  It's been interesting seeing his amazing collection.  It's been interesting to see the community reaction to the auction.  It's been interesting to see the positive, and negative comments regarding the pricing, and where the cars will end up.  Oddly to me, it's been very interesting to see how upset people seem to be about the auction fees (which I'm viewing as equivalent to sales tax), and shipping fees (which you would likely pay anyways).  Interesting for certain...

I was very excited about the opportunity, personally, and had a good number of items I was watching hopefully.  An honestly, there WAS a bunch of stuff I hoped I could buy low and sell high (something that will make many cringe to hear, but something I'm sure a good number here thought of/planned on too).  But also like many here, I too was a little shocked by the quick price jumps, and many items are now already outside of what I personally would be comfortable paying to "flip" or to keep for my personal collection. 

BUT...... BUT BUT BUT......  that's just my personal opinion on what I am personally comfortable paying.  There is no "price guide" to vintage RC.  There is no MSRP.  There is only supply, and demand.  We all want to buy cars for $1, and sell them for $5000... but really, that rarely happens.  So you find what you want, assign an arbitrary value to it, and either buy it or not.  If someone else's price tolerance on an item is higher than yours, it doesn't make them right or wrong... just different (and possibly in a different financial situation than you).  Would I love to own a Tamiya 959?  Absolutely!  And one day I truly hope too... but for $1000+, it's just not worth it to me personally.  I'm not thrilled to know that the market will support pricing like that, but I'm also not gonna be the jerk that walks into a Ferrari dealership and complains that their cars are overpriced.  Pricing is market driven, and some people just have more money.  It's a depressing life lesson, but one that's often important to keep in mind.

The auction is raising money for the mans family.  So on some level, I hope all the prices get jacked sky high.  I hope people spend their money on items they want, and are happy with the price they pay, and where that money is going.  I think as prices get higher, we'll see less re-sellers, and more people that are just happy to have a new piece in their collection.  There are still a number of pieces that I hope to add to my personal pile, but I'm realistic that the reality of the day might be quite different.  The first small auction was actually kinda fun to watch, and I'm looking forward to the next two for even just the entertainment value alone. 

This auction... this collection... this whole situation is a very strange one... and something we may never see again.  So partake... or don't.  Bid high... but don't complain if you loose.  Enjoy the exposure to an amazing collection, and the opportunity to own part of it. 

But also remember this is the sad split up of a mans legacy and a likely a very hard thing for his family to go thru.  It's not just another ebay auction...

[End Rant]

• Like 5

Like others I dreamed of grabbing a bargain. But also like others I said from day 1 it was never going to happen. The internet creating a truly global audience pretty much made that impossible. The upside is that at least his family get some financial reward from this. Anyone who has had to deal with any amount of deceased estate managing knows how heartbreaking it is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Like others I dreamed of grabbing a bargain. But also like others I said from day 1 it was never going to happen. The internet creating a truly global audience pretty much made that impossible. The upside is that at least his family get some financial reward from this. Anyone who has had to deal with any amount of deceased estate managing knows how heartbreaking it is.

Agreed, definitely happy that the family seems to be getting good value for the estate.  I've been going through this with my father for a little while now.  He will still be around for a while, but realizing that everything he's collected over the years will most likely never be used he's started selling it off.  Most recently we have been selling off his train collection.  There are thousands of G, HO, and N scale that he's been letting go and getting good money for which is great.  It's actually made me a bit jealous, the train guys are much easier to deal with than RC guys.  We put them up for a fair price and they get sold, no nonsense.  In my area at least selling RC locally is a real pain and everyone seems to want everything for nothing.  That's why I end up selling most of my stuff on Ebay.  That has its own set of hassles but at least I don't have to deal with it in person or deal with low ballers that can't put a sentence together.

He still has his RC collection and I've been pushing a bit to sell some of the stuff that won't get used much but I don't think he's ready to let it go.  As cool as the stuff he has is, I'd almost rather we move on from some of it now than trying to deal with it all down the road.  That plus my RC stuff will be a real headache to get rid of down the line.  Really trying to not buy anything else I don't need, its just too much.