53HRA

HUGE RC auction

7 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Who the heck are these people?

I think the forum will replace most of our responses to that question with 'badword':lol: 

$1,200 for an opened original frog. I really want to know what these bidders are smoking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bash said:

$1,200 for an opened original frog. I really want to know what these bidders are smoking.

My son and I are watching this. Those two knuckleheads went back and forth from $725 to $1200.  For a *******in Frog!!!! 

I also underestimated the entertainment value of watching this. We are having a hoot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm having a blast watching this at work. Between the ridiculous prices people are paying and the auctioneer mispronouncing every kit this is better than anything on netflix right now 

• Haha 2

Every single Wild Willy 2 kit went for higher than you can buy it online and get it shipped to you. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bash said:

I heard the government was giving out free crack pipes :^D

The same guy has won the last 20-30 lots. He's involved in every single one. Endless money. Overpaying for everything. 

Outbid at every lot. Oh well, I’m not going to try and outbid stupid. At least the family will be taken care of

• Like 1

I got two kits. One was higher than I wanted, the other had no live bidders. I think it evens out nicely. 

A sealed new re-re sand scorcher just went for $420.  They are $370 shipped at any hobby shop.

come on, someone on this board overpaid for re-res that are readily available. What's the story??

My interest was in:

1. Original Sand Scorcher - those went for crazy $

2. BMW M3 E30. There was a TA02 and a TT01, both went for $300+, which I won’t pay. Just wanted the body

3. M02: the Alfa Giulia M02, was bid to $180.. so I thought I’d go for the Fiat Abarth M02 which went for $330 🤣

I like my Tamiyas, but I have better things to spend my money on. 

10 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Which kits did you get? I got one, and it was the sealed-in-box Stadium Raider kit, for only $220!!! Other than that, I was outbid on everything, sadly.

I got the desert fielder and the sand shaker. I had to angle for the sleeper cars nobody else should have wanted as all the others were crazy priced. The fielder got higher than I liked but wasn't too far above my comfort level. The sand shaker got no live bids which was a relief.  Tt-02T is interesting to me. 

I'm happy for the daughter.  Larry (gone to soon), but this was his to hopefully help take care of his family.  When I die, I told my wife to get ahold of Ben the Auctioneer.  Whatever that dude got paid for all this effort wasn't enough.  good on that guy.

I was bidding on over 220 of the over 1000.  I'd go to bed on those early few days and wake up to 200-400 emails, "autobid, autobid... outbid..outbid...autobid".  It was pretty crazy for a while.  I was leading on the full size nissan car until it hit $10grand and THEN went to $18k. I  Gave up on a few things that were already way to high, went to bed that last, night leading on about 100+ auctions, figuring I threw my best bid at it.  I ended up winning two after the smoke settled over the final auction days.  :D  My wife breathed a heavy sigh of relief. :) TWO....  :)  I don't think I'll ship anything, I'll drive over, it's only about 3 hours from here. I'd like to meet the auctioneer and if possible some of the family I was texting early on.

I'm happy for the family.  A lot of us are in similar situations with this or other hobbies.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, A-Baum said:

A sealed new re-re sand scorcher just went for $420.  They are $370 shipped at any hobby shop.

come on, someone on this board overpaid for re-res that are readily available. What's the story??

People...people are weird. 

Similar scenes as people queue over night for Swatch's $200 rip off I mean homage / collab to Omega's Moonwatch - then flip them on eBay for $1,000 even after Swatch has stated they will be readily available online and it's not a limited release. 

6 hours ago, Howards said:

People...people are weird. 

Similar scenes as people queue over night for Swatch's $200 rip off I mean homage / collab to Omega's Moonwatch - then flip them on eBay for $1,000 even after Swatch has stated they will be readily available online and it's not a limited release. 

I guess.  The weird thing with the Wild Willy 2s was the prebids were at current retail levels. Most were $170/$180 pre bids. Like people never bothered to see if you can buy that anywhere?  I just want to talk to one person who bought one of the Wild Willy 2s and ask what the deal is. I won't rest until that happens. 

7 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

What was the price of the Sand Shaker?? I was watching it- I thought it was sold at least 50% higher than the prebid price… or else I would’ve bid on it as well…🤦🏻‍♂️

$231. It was one of the few lots that had no live bids. I think my max bid was $305 or something.  The Desert fielder was bid up a bit but it was I think the last or one of the last ta-02 trucks available and I just wanted one. 
I like the sand shaker as I already have two other tt-02 and have some hop up parts and spares laying around and other than the pieces specific to the shaker, parts will be readily available. These will both be runners.

I think the pre bidding was a emotional mind bender especially if you knew about it early on..all that waiting ! I tried to tell people on a Facebook group to not prebid its only raising the opening bid price 

I got some backlash for it weirdly .. I don't think anyone read the fine print about the live auction. Also don't be fooled the auctioneers are trained to get people fighting to not lose  the item  ...and yeah the you tuber screwed the pooch .. but it appears he recently got a pretty rare item on the show recently 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:48 AM, A-Baum said:

I got the desert fielder and the sand shaker. I had to angle for the sleeper cars nobody else should have wanted as all the others were crazy priced. The fielder got higher than I liked but wasn't too far above my comfort level. The sand shaker got no live bids which was a relief.  Tt-02T is interesting to me. 

Tha Sand shaker is surprisingly good. It never really got any credit mainly due to the name and possibly the body. I love mine. Have fun.

8 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Tha Sand shaker is surprisingly good. It never really got any credit mainly due to the name and possibly the body. I love mine. Have fun.

Yeah it's a 'unique' body but I will likely not do box art on it. Gotta love the versatility of the Tt-02 which is part of the charm for me. Plus it's the only tt-02t model so it's rare/unique. Apparently it didn't catch on as they seemed to give up on that variant. Oh well. It'll be a neat add to my small but growing stable of runners.

and yeah, it's a poor name. As is the desert fielder. Whatever the heck that means. 

2 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Yeah it's a 'unique' body but I will likely not do box art on it. Gotta love the versatility of the Tt-02 which is part of the charm for me. Plus it's the only tt-02t model so it's rare/unique. Apparently it didn't catch on as they seemed to give up on that variant. Oh well. It'll be a neat add to my small but growing stable of runners.

and yeah, it's a poor name. As is the desert fielder. Whatever the heck that means. 

Actually the body isn’t unique!! It’s also the same on the Stadium Raider which also bombed. I still have the body and wheels in a box somewhere . I did mine in straight gunmetal with two yellow stripes across the bonnet roof and rear deck. I’ve never measured it but either the wheels have larger offset or the arms are longer but it seems wider. I’ll have to investigate!!! 

The auction was a lot of fun to watch.  I ended up empty handed due to shallow pockets and overall sticker shock, but it was great times watching the bidding, the auctioneers, and the (previously mentioned) insanity of some of the prices.  Hope everyone was happy with what they ended up with, and hope it went well for the family.

Now to continue my goofy search for a NIB Kumamon Tractor elsewhere...

10 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

The auction was a lot of fun to watch.  I ended up empty handed due to shallow pockets and overall sticker shock, but it was great times watching the bidding, the auctioneers, and the (previously mentioned) insanity of some of the prices.  Hope everyone was happy with what they ended up with, and hope it went well for the family.

Now to continue my goofy search for a NIB Kumamon Tractor elsewhere...

The Tractors were actually going for reasonable prices! The Kumamon was well within reach. You should have grabbed that one. But I concur with your sentiments. It's was a total s**t show money monsoon. Haven't seen something like that in a long time. I believe all of it was left to the grand daughter. I'm presuming her parents talked her into liquidating it as the best financial decision moving forward. There was no mention if the family planned to continue racing at their track or even remaining in the hobby. I sure hope they do and kept a few pieces for themselves.

I won 2 things I was bidding on. There were maybe 2-3 more I kicked myself for not bidding on. I'm satisfied. But it was definitely like watching a train wreck.

• Like 1