Sign in to follow this  
Torhaantje

question about differences old srb gearcase vs re-re

As I was going through some old RC stuff, I found an old SRB case and compared it with a Re-re one.

I saw some differences:  3 mm holes vs 2,5 mm where the rear gearcase attaches, 5 mm holes vs 4 mm where the rear A arm is attached to the gearbox and 2 extra mounting holes for the motor  ( see photo's). Can anyone shed some light on this?

Regards, Rick

old on the left, re-re on the right

srb 1.jpg

Larger rear holes were likely for Super Champ use, the shafts on the arms for the mono-shock were pretty hefty.  The 'bonus' holes were done to fit motors of lengths that didn't match the stock silver can.  You'll find that the nubs on the motor side have been ground off as well (had to be to allow adjustments), we'd drill directly through them, until they disappear.  The oblong hole allows different pinions and make it adjustable.  Was a common mod back in the day, so you weren't stuck with just two gear ratios.  It was a pain to get pinions in that pitch!  Having the plastic cover as the only thing securing the motor, wasn't the greatest design. RIMG2386.thumb.JPG.fa0fa81bfdd1b21fbe73c6a89ffe589f.JPGPic is all that remains of my original SC from '82, notice the holes...

• Like 4

The re re case is slightly bigger internally, but only the LHS as you look from the front of the car. 

This allows for the slightly bigger 540 motors to fit, however if you were to use a vintage case you either have to skim some of the metal off internally for the motor to fit or you are restricted to the original kit supplied 540 motor.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kayak said:

Larger rear holes were likely for Super Champ use, the shafts on the arms for the mono-shock were pretty hefty.  The 'bonus' holes were done to fit motors of lengths that didn't match the stock silver can.  You'll find that the nubs on the motor side have been ground off as well (had to be to allow adjustments), we'd drill directly through them, until they disappear.  The oblong hole allows different pinions and make it adjustable.  Was a common mod back in the day, so you weren't stuck with just two gear ratios.  It was a pain to get pinions in that pitch!  Having the plastic cover as the only thing securing the motor, wasn't the greatest design. RIMG2386.thumb.JPG.fa0fa81bfdd1b21fbe73c6a89ffe589f.JPGPic is all that remains of my original SC from '82, notice the holes...

Nicely polished up . Did you polish up the front beam shafts ( 4 long shafts bottom middle ) as these were originally black hardened shafts

Kev, they showed no sign of being black, and were simply polished to clean them up, just a hit on the wheel with a little rouge.  It did / does have a CRP 'wide' front end in it (FRP 'chassis and cage too), possible they came with that kit?  Even the cases ended up being junk, the lower bearing seats were fully worn out and sloppy, thankfully there were re-re's available.  Still working (all on hold for the last 18+ months, moving, refurbishing the new house & retiring have taken top spot) on the rebuild... mostly just a body to craft for it. Someday.   RIMG2388.thumb.JPG.7d02ccbcda642c5078224d98e8dcaf28.JPG