quattrokid

Using 27 MHZ vintage radio with modern ESC,

I have  a Hobbywing 1060 in "stock" and a new TamiyaTBLE-04S just arrived for a modern project,  and today thought i would try them out in one of my old cars.  But i did not realise that there is no battery lead/plug from these modern ESC units to power up the older style BEC receiver.

Do any of you guys use this combination and if so how do you power up the old school BEC receivers ??

Cheers QC,.

I'm forgetting what my old 27mhz receivers look like. But have you tried hooking it up? 

If it has the Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC), the receiver works like a hub for electricity.  Whatever you plug into that receiver, the power is shared by everything that's plugged into it.  When you hook up the battery to the ESC, the ESC gets the power.  That ESC will give power to the receiver too. 

So it's like 2-in-1.  The ESC takes order from the receiver. Through the same wire, it gives power to the receiver.  That's why there is no separate wire.  The receiver also distributes the power to the steering servo that's plugged into it. If you have extra slots for servos, you could plug in a LED unit, and it will light up too. 

All the power is drawn from the battery pack by the ESC. That gets pooled in the receiver, to be spent by anything that's plugged in. 

The only time this didn't work was on my nitro car.  Since there was no ESC to power anything, I needed a separate battery pack for the receiver and the steering servo.  I suppose that'll be the case for the non-BEC receivers from 1970s to mid-80s.  But most receivers from late 80s tend to have a BEC circuit.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, quattrokid said:

Do any of you guys use this combination and if so how do you power up the old school BEC receivers ??

On a receiver, it's only the one pin ,that's controlled, usually the left pin (eg, white wire on a futaba servo). The center pin is usually positive (+ red) and the right pin negative (- black). The positives are all connected to each other, and the negative are all connected.

If 6v (or if its BEC, upto 9v ,if I remember right, as the reciever can regulate it down to 6v)  is put onto any of the power pins, the reciever powers up, and works ,likewise if you need to power something else (fan , transponder etc) you can use the + / - on ch3 or batt etc.

Modern escs put 6v down the red/black wires so I don't think BEC recievers are even recessary these days, but it'll still work fine.

Out of the 2 escs, I know the 1060 has a supply of 6v and 3 amps to the receiver, but from what I gather, the tble04s only 6v / 1.5 amps (?), so the latter may have issues running modern power hungry servos (ie, Savox)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

On a receiver, it's only the one pin ,that's controlled, usually the left pin (eg, white wire on a futaba servo). The center pin is usually positive (+ red) and the right pin negative (- black). The positives are all connected to each other, and the negative are all connected.

If 6v (or if its BEC, upto 9v ,if I remember right, as the reciever can regulate it down to 6v)  is put onto any of the power pins, the reciever powers up, and works ,likewise if you need to power something else (fan , transponder etc) you can use the + / - on ch3 or batt etc.

Modern escs put 6v down the red/black wires so I don't think BEC recievers are even recessary these days, but it'll still work fine.

Out of the 2 escs, I know the 1060 has a supply of 6v and 3 amps to the receiver, but from what I gather, the tble04s only 6v / 1.5 amps (?), so the latter may have issues running modern power hungry servos (ie, Savox)

That might make sense mate as it was the tble04s that i tried with an oldish bec acoms Receiver.  I tried it with the esc connected to a brushed motor but until i put a proper battery feed on to the battery plug on the bec receiver it would not work.

The actual goal of this was to change the tble04s to brushless mode.....