Sign in to follow this  
jonboy1

drift rim with non drift tyres question

So, a mate of mine is getting bits together for a rally car build - L&L Lotus Sunbeam body, TT-02 chassis and he really likes some Scale Dynamics rims. The question is, they have the black ring on the outer face (which I guess is to stop the tyres disappearing when drifting) - do these cause any issues with fitting regular tyres?

I think he was planning on road tyres rather than off road/rally stage.

Any advice very gratefully received. :) 

scale-dynamics-10131-01-800x800_0.jpg

6 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

The question is, they have the black ring on the outer face (which I guess is to stop the tyres disappearing when drifting) - do these cause any issues with fitting regular tyres?

I think the black ring is there to resemble a higher profile tire and a smaller wheel using regular 1.9" drift/touring car tires. It will most likely look weird with a non-stretched sidewall that doesn't follow the shape of the black ring. 

Fat minilites always look good on lotus sunbeams

37 minutes ago, svenb said:

Fat minilites always look good on lotus sunbeams

yeah that's what he went for - the minilite style ones Scale Dynamics make (I just used that pic as it was the first one that came up on google search) - but now I'm thinking I gave him faulty advice if they won't work with regular tamiya tyres :( 

5 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

yeah that's what he went for - the minilite style ones Scale Dynamics make (I just used that pic as it was the first one that came up on google search) - but now I'm thinking I gave him faulty advice if they won't work with regular tamiya tyres :( 

👍

To keep it scale would a set of M-chassis minilites cut and joined together to give a wide look!? Someone on here did it to a Renault 5 if I remember right.