Stewpac15

GF-01FT Quadtrack

Tamiya-58704-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-40-Pick-Up-Quadtrack-GF-01FT-.jpg

Haven't seen much talk about this.  Personally, I'm extremely excited for this whole line of tracked vehicles.  I hope to see a comical buggy and 6x6 version released as well.  I'm going to wait to see how this thing behaves in some vids before i rush out and get one, but i've been waiting awhile for this.  Anyone else kind of interested in these things...?

• Like 2

These tracks are also sold listed as "wheels" in some shops so in theory, they can go on any vehicles, maybe. 

I like the idea in principle, but in practise that looks like somebody slapped a track set onto an already overly-tall chassis and said "done."  Which, to be fair, is exactly what they did.  It's way too tall, and there's acres of ugly plastic between the body and the tracks.  With a bit of ingenuity it could be possible to drop that body an inch, maybe even 2.

Again, in principle, I'd love a G6-01 with tracks.  But actually, no, I'd like a G6-01 with a big track that covers both rear axles, and a small track set up front.  Or even a pair of crawler wheels up front that turn at the same speed (using a portal, if necessary, to get the right gearing).  I'm not sure if the independent suspension between middle and rear axles would work with a track set, I suppose it depends how good the tensioners are and how the tracks are suspended.

I hope we see some more quad track vehicles, but I expect the cost will be prohibitive.  I loved the look of the LandFreeder QT, but it was too pricey for something that was only ever going to be a gimmick.  I really can't see that design being robust enough to embarrass an SCX-10 on the trails.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stewpac15 said:

I regret starting this thread lol...can we delete it and forget I asked

Don't, it might fuel a full on scrap

"Fight fight fight"

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Again, in principle, I'd love a G6-01 with tracks.  But actually, no, I'd like a G6-01 with a big track that covers both rear axles, and a small track set up front. 

Yes ! 
exactly!

However, since the Tamiya tracks are individual links could one just build the belt long enough to accommodate the back and middle axles in one belt ? 
( you’d still need 2 sets ) 

I’m sure it’s a gimmick and a waste of money and won’t perform well at all.

I will confirm as soon as mine arrives ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Tamiya released a pic of exactly that on the king yellow

34 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

Yes ! 
exactly!

However, since the Tamiya tracks are individual links could one just build the belt long enough to accommodate the back and middle axles in one belt ? 
( you’d still need 2 sets ) 

25 minutes ago, taffer said:

Tamiya released a pic of exactly that on the king yellow

I saw a pic of a King Yellow with 6x single wheel tracks - did they release one with an extended track for both rear axles?  'cos that's the thing that I like :) 

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I saw a pic of a King Yellow with 6x single wheel tracks - did they release one with an extended track for both rear axles?  'cos that's the thing that I like :) 

I haven't seen any pics of the King Yellow with combined rear tracks, but the manual for the separate track unit set (54948) shows how to do it on the G6-01 chassis:

1460139307_271392190_387670376492836_8670611296522976099_n(2).png.a4aa1167485a7b043fcadd6e7f184d9b.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

I haven't seen any pics of the King Yellow with combined rear tracks, but the manual for the separate track unit set (54948) shows how to do it on the G6-01 chassis:

1460139307_271392190_387670376492836_8670611296522976099_n(2).png.a4aa1167485a7b043fcadd6e7f184d9b.png

could you turn this into a half-track type vehicle with tires on front, or do you have to use the track units up front as well?

I've been eyeing off a GF01 Landcruiser for a very long time, but I already have the Dump Truck, so I was hoping this would give me an excuse to buy a second GF01. It doesn't.

I agree with @Willy iine, I already have a Kyosho Trail King and I think the Kyosho will perform far better.

• Like 1

To me it’s another quirky Tamiya, it won’t be for everyone but it will spark the imagination of some and no doubt be enjoyable to run in the right settings. 

It’s not my thing, but I like that it’s a bit different and I’ll look forward to seeing some TC members iterations hitting the forum in good time 👍

• Like 1

@Mad Ax hit the nail :P

It looks like this:

01601ad731bc76118522d4503aa47569

Being a huge Land Cruiser 40 fan, this would have me drooling at Tamiya's catalogue:

e475254225f96a8881990644634371a7--toyota

Modding is perhaps a route, but I would think the TT-02FT is a better staring point since it does not have so much vertical space between axles and body posts.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Stewpac15 said:

could you turn this into a half-track type vehicle with tires on front, or do you have to use the track units up front as well?

looking at the diagram, there's a lot of gap between the axle centre and the ground level, so you'd need a really big wheel or you'd need to do something to the front suspension.  But, the tracks probably also lower the gearing somewhat, so a big wheel would turn too fast.  So, you could use the portals from the G6-01T to lower the gearing and bring the axle centre closer to the ground, so you can fit a more reasonably-sized wheel.  But will this actually give you the right gearing, or close to the right gearing?  You'd probably have to study the manuals to work that out.  It's certainly an interesting prospect.

• Like 1

I showed it to my son and he DEFINITELY wants it 😆

We live just five minutes walk from the beach so I could see this getting lots of use even if it’s not much good.

5 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Any chance of the manual for 54948?

Please!

4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

looking at the diagram, there's a lot of gap between the axle centre and the ground level, so you'd need a really big wheel or you'd need to do something to the front suspension.  But, the tracks probably also lower the gearing somewhat, so a big wheel would turn too fast.  So, you could use the portals from the G6-01T to lower the gearing and bring the axle centre closer to the ground, so you can fit a more reasonably-sized wheel.  But will this actually give you the right gearing, or close to the right gearing?  You'd probably have to study the manuals to work that out.  It's certainly an interesting prospect.

You could just let the front wheels “freewheel” like a normal half track. Can imagine the steering being 💩 with all that weight pushing from behind though?

41 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

You could just let the front wheels “freewheel” like a normal half track. Can imagine the steering being 💩 with all that weight pushing from behind though?

I'm starting to get the sense that I might have had this conversation before.  And you're right, you could indeed run it without the front gears in, great idea :) 

I have no idea how 1:1 halftracks work, but some kind of track brake / skid steer must have been possible to get them around tighter corners.  Not sure how you'd implement that on the Tamiya!

If memory serves me correctly @MadInventor produced one but that used the tracks from a tank at the rear so presumably had track steer, maybe combined with the front wheels?

20 hours ago, Busdriver said:

If memory serves me correctly @MadInventor produced one but that used the tracks from a tank at the rear so presumably had track steer, maybe combined with the front wheels?

My half track used half a king tiger chassis, but I just put a 1/14 truck axle in it to drive the drive sprockets through some custom 'wheel' adapters, the front wheels on it free wheeled. When you drive it on grass it does tend to want to go in a straight line due to the grip of the tracks, but if you use it on something like tarmac it makes a great drifter as the plastic tracks then have next to no grip.

img33435_25052014190404_1_1100_.jpg

My experience of using Tamiya tracked vehicles off road (See below) is that although it can be done, it's a very maintenance intensive operation, and be prepared to stop frequently to remove small pieces of gravel from the tracks and runners. Best place to use them is probably dry sand as it's fine enough not to clog to tracks, but you'd need to gear the whole thing down so you don't cook the motor. I did try running my half track on 3S with a 540 and ripped the track pieces apart (destroyed the links), so a fast tracked vehicle is going to be tricky, unless tamiya have beefed up their track designs since the tanks. I also tried a chinese metal track kit, that could survive the 3S, but it roasted the motor and it wouldn't get up to full RPM due to the weight of the tracks. 

img33435_01072011015110_3_1100_.jpg

• Like 5