Stewpac15

GF-01FT Quadtrack

12 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I'm starting to get the sense that I might have had this conversation before.  And you're right, you could indeed run it without the front gears in, great idea :) 

I have no idea how 1:1 halftracks work, but some kind of track brake / skid steer must have been possible to get them around tighter corners.  Not sure how you'd implement that on the Tamiya!

Here perhaps? 

It depends, the pint sized SdKfz 2 steer by front wheel (single) like a motorbike. 

The SdKfz 251 has combined front wheels and tank style diff steering. 

The American M3 steer by front wheels only. 

German front wheels are unpowered while US ones are. 

• Like 1

I actually like this but the price will likely be too high for me to bite. I know it's a gimmick so I can't really justify 300+

I actually like this but the price will likely be too high for me to bite. I know it's a gimmick so I can't really justify 300+

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norco Kid said:

my thoughts too - while I don't really like the look of the stock kit, I'm sure I could have loads of fun modifying it into something else - but at that price, that'll buy a serious scale crawler or a half-decent race car, it's too gimmicky for the price point and I'm not convinced it has the robustness to validate the price.  I wonder if anyone has really used those tracks in anger yet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

my thoughts too - while I don't really like the look of the stock kit, I'm sure I could have loads of fun modifying it into something else - but at that price, that'll buy a serious scale crawler or a half-decent race car, it's too gimmicky for the price point and I'm not convinced it has the robustness to validate the price.  I wonder if anyone has really used those tracks in anger yet?

For £300 you buy a second hand 1/14 tank, then mutilate that to build a half track with front wheel steering and tank steering. And you would get a free sound system into the bargain :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I did try running my half track on 3S with a 540 and ripped the track pieces apart (destroyed the links), so a fast tracked vehicle is going to be tricky, unless tamiya have beefed up their track designs since the tanks. I also tried a chinese metal track kit, that could survive the 3S, but it roasted the motor and it wouldn't get up to full RPM due to the weight of the tracks

This looks fantastic and interesting, high speed tracked vehicle. 1/5 scale, 2x hw 2200kw motors 12c lipo and  top speed 56km/h. ,70mm suspensions travel and reasonable price too. From a start up company in UK unfortunately it’s funding project and need backers.

https://www.xtremerc.co.uk

B63E8E5B-478E-42A1-8D96-BC5EEC9A0DCB.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JYCM3 said:

This looks fantastic and interesting, high speed tracked vehicle....

Interesting indeed!  I'll look in more detail tomorrow.

A while back I was looking at those basic tank chassis on Wish / Banggood / ebay etc for a possible crazy project, but they're mostly too small and look more purposed for indoor robotics projects than tearing around the track or attacking the trails.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:53 AM, JYCM3 said:

This looks fantastic and interesting, high speed tracked vehicle. 1/5 scale, 2x hw 2200kw motors 12c lipo and  top speed 56km/h. ,70mm suspensions travel and reasonable price too. From a start up company in UK unfortunately it’s funding project and need backers.

https://www.xtremerc.co.uk

B63E8E5B-478E-42A1-8D96-BC5EEC9A0DCB.jpeg

i've registered to get the kit version of this!  this thing looks suh-weet!!  and, it's not made in china...no offense to any chinese individuals...

8 hours ago, Stewpac15 said:

i've registered to get the kit version of this!  this thing looks suh-weet!! 

Let us know when you get it. Seems well engineered by group of rc enthusiasts.

53 minutes ago, JYCM3 said:

Let us know when you get it. Seems well engineered by group of rc enthusiasts.

Have they proposed a price yet?

As far as I can see it is now (-40% presale) around £ 1500. But I'm sure it's an absolute blast and uncomparable with the Tamiya tracked vehicles :D

9 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

As far as I can see it is now (-40% presale) around £ 1500. But I'm sure it's an absolute blast and uncomparable with the Tamiya tracked vehicles :D

Uggh, I read somewhere else saying it’s  £ 343. Forget my original post it being affordable. Thanks Tamiyastef for looking up the correct price. 

• Thanks 1

@MadInventor

they solves the problems of tracks coming off or rip apart in your previous post on Tamiya tracked vehicles :D

18175F51-699F-4EDF-93D8-B28DC5CF174F.jpeg

• Like 1

That is a beast! I love it! I Definitely something different to go out and bash around with.

I'm talking about the 1/5 brushless tank thing, not the Tamiya.  As far as the Tamiya goes...well, not so much. I'm not sure why trax would be installed on a wheelie chassis. Looked much better to me on the TT02. 

These tank tread vehicles are somewhat odd - I built my TRX4 Trax up a while ago and it's ready and waiting for some winter weather. And while it's an absolute beast running a large outrunner on 3S I'm not sure what else to do with it to be honest.  It's too cumbersome for trail runs, and way to slow to be a basher. It's kind of an odd duck.  

How cool would it be if Tamiya made us a 1/14 scale military style tractor truck with a deeploader for a 1/14 scale tank and/or 1/14 scale halftrack? They could do a whole range of 1/14 scale military vehicles on tracks like bulldozers, those specialized "tanks" to build bridges etc or even a Ripsaw. Tracks look right at home under these type of vehicles. To my mind they do indeed look (too) odd under a car. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 6:30 PM, JYCM3 said:

@MadInventor

they solves the problems of tracks coming off or rip apart in your previous post on Tamiya tracked vehicles :D

18175F51-699F-4EDF-93D8-B28DC5CF174F.jpeg

That nose cone is really going to **** up a leg when it hits someone. 

• Like 1

Hmm so would the tracks work/fit on the red portals that come with the G6-01TR & GF-01TR? That tracked konghead with skis looks awesome.

2 hours ago, J@mes said:

Hmm so would the tracks work/fit on the red portals that come with the G6-01TR & GF-01TR? 

Yes, it's possible to mount the track units on the portals. Of course it means more ground clearance and higheer CoG, but as track gets wider too, I reckon it's OK. The lower overall gear ratio is probably rather a pro than a con.

11 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Yes, it's possible to mount the track units on the portals. Of course it means more ground clearance and higheer CoG, but as track gets wider too, I reckon it's OK. The lower overall gear ratio is probably rather a pro than a con.

Cool. I’m thinking dynahead,  TL01B wide arms & dogbones, portals & tracks in a @Willy iine olive drab getup would be the business 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

Yes, problem is the price. Even on sale it’s $200US for a full set. I wonder how much the actual kit will be…

The Landfreeder Quadtrack is $320US.  This Toyota will be about the same.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, Mokei Kagaku said:

With regard to double rear tracks on the G6-01 / Halftrack.  Stumbled over this  (Source: chanyukarc on Twitter):

Bild

This photo spurred me into action. I have a Dynahead Halftrack project to look forward to, although undecided on the paint scheme. 

There’s plenty of ex MoD land around here that’s great for this kind of vehicle. 

• Like 1