Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Very, (very, very) sticky vinyl foil or simular

Hi guys.
I got this mad motorplate with a lot of Dyna parts lately. Really not bad, I want to use it on one of my runners. But drilling hole is the very best way to get dust and sand into your gears.

Now what to do? Filling the holes with silicone resin? People do it with crankshafts to ballance them. Doing it oldscool-cool putting a Tamiya sticker on it and removing the overlap ing parts?

Using really good vinyl foil which sticks like the stickies sticky stick-stick? Just while typing this post (an having the second IPA oleee!) kapton foile come in my mind. Its sticky and heat resistant.

Any other good advices?

Cheers. C

dyna_motorplate_01.jpg

Insulation foil tape or foil ducting tape, both available from Screwfix.

Very stick sticky stickerist

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, svenb said:

Insulation foil tape or foil ducting tape, both available from Screwfix.

Very stick sticky stickerist

Thats a sticky goos idear! How great, its even aluminum as a carrier for the stick film. I am pretty shure they have it downstairs where they do the flat renovation : ) Goint to ask them tomorow.

Sticky greetings. :lol:

You could try Oracal 751c. I find it very sticky, especially the white one. You can get an A4 sheet from eBay for € 1,00.

1 minute ago, Collin said:

Thats a sticky goos idear! How great, its even aluminum as a carrier for the stick film. I am pretty shure they have it downstairs where they do the flat renovation : ) Goint to ask them tomorow.

Sticky greetings. :lol:

If they don't I'll have a bit I could send

• Thanks 1

Just now, Aerobert said:

You could try Oracal 751c. I find it very sticky, especially the white one. You can get an A4 sheet from eBay for € 1,00.

That was something what came in my mind. The motorplate is about 60mm on the smallest side and isolation tape most likely 50mm. I dont want to use two pieces of tape. A4 sheet is really nice for this job.

Just now, svenb said:

If they don't I'll have a bit I could send

I am based in Austria. Even when you tag it as a present, custom will steal all my money. They are modern robber barons.

4 minutes ago, Collin said:

I am based in Austria. Even when you tag it as a present, custom will steal all my money. They are modern robber barons.

Sorry bud thought by your fine English your were in Blighty

4 minutes ago, Collin said:

They are modern robber barons.

Especially the German Post or DHL. I received two parcels the last few weeks. For both I had to pay around € 1,50 customs and € 6,00 for outlay fees to DHL. Robbery as you say.

If the suggested foil tape is the same thing I'm thinking of, it gets pierced easily.

Also loses it's adhesive ability when subjected to a non clean environment.

I would fill with resin.  

• Like 1

But why get such a plate in the first price? I assume the holes are for weight reduction and heat sink, filling them up will just turn it into a regular plate, no? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

But why get such a plate in the first price? I assume the holes are for weight reduction and heat sink, filling them up will just turn it into a regular plate, no? 

Yep. But much less weight > faster × no debris inside gears. ; )

Just get a piece of ally plate, trace around it and the holes you want, and cut out a new one. That would be my solution if you can't just buy a new replacement.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Just get a piece of ally plate, trace around it and the holes you want, and cut out a new one. That would be my solution if you can't just buy a new replacement.

Honestly that is what I would do too if the renkon holes bother you.   Or just use 2-3 layers of foil tape.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Honestly that is what I would do too if the renkon holes bother you.   Or just use 2-3 layers of foil tape.

11 hours ago, Zealot said:

Ah, no! The weight reduction is the feature. Isn't it obvious? :huh: Why should I cut a new one then? I only want to keep the dirt out of the gears, which means I have to close the holes with something pretty light. That would be a foil most likely. A sticky one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Would a solid plate make that much difference to the weight ? . The plate can't weigh that much to start with as it is only alu. . The foil won't have much of an area to stick to around the outer edge as the holes are close to the edge.

• Like 1

Deburr the edges of the holes, tape over one side, flip, and fill the holes with Bondic UV Resin. Remove tape and polish. 👍

• Like 2

Yes, the weigt difference is a big difference. I will weight both later back home. Especially for a Dyna Storm, which has naturaly too much weigth at its back.

5 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

Deburr the edges of the holes, tape over one side, flip, and fill the holes with Bondic UV Resin. Remove tape and polish. 👍

I have molding silicon at home and will give it a try. Silicone has really low density compared to aluminium.

The original plate has 23g, the lightweigt 16g.

Lets wait till tomorrow and have a look how much is the weight now with the molding silicon inserts.
dyna_motorplate_02.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Collin said:

The original plate has 23g, the lightweigt 16g.

Lets wait till tomorrow and have a look how much is the weight now with the molding silicon inserts.
dyna_motorplate_02.jpg

My guess... 19.5g. Shall we have a TC pools on the final weight? 😁

dyna_motorplate_03.jpg

Haha. Did not expect this result. I think I spotted another part which does not need to be, the aluminum plate for mounting a ESC.

O how much I love it, this modified runner is never finished. You always find some details you can work on : )

I will post the new weight of the modified plate by tomorrow.