OnTheTrail

Aftermarket tires for the Sand Scorcher

I'm looking for a set of tires to fit the stock wheels on a Sand Scorcher.  I'm looking for a tread pattern for the dirt/trail as apposed to the stock sand paddle tires and ribbed fronts.  I'd love to get a set of stock Rough Rider tires but those would be expensive to buy/ship to the US.  

Any aftermarket tires someone may recommend?

Thanks...... 

Those could work.   I'd prefer something a little more scale looking but I've had my eye on those too.  

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

There are only two choices from Tamiya in that 1.5 size:  the sand paddles (GH) and the spikes (Frog).  You could move up to 1.75 and use the Brat rear tires.

There are a few very very rare 1.5 tires available (if you can find them).  Proline, CRP, and Parma made a few sets.  Troll makes some chevron monster tires.  Aristocraft made some sets.  Look for the #140x model number. DuraTrax made a few sets of 1.4” tires that fit.  Look for the #711x model number.

You can also find some other brands like You-G and Ipshala (sic).

6 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

A62-D510-A-C12-C-4520-B2-F5-79539-CFA510

Thanks!  This is the look I'm going for.  Even ordered those same wheels.   I found a set of these tires on ebay and ordered them this morning.  Little more than I wanted to pay but found a US retailer so the freight was only $5.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

There are only two choices from Tamiya in that 1.5 size:  the sand paddles (GH) and the spikes (Frog).

Hmmm.   Learned something new.  I thought the Fast Attack tires were also 1.5s.   Turns out they're slightly larger.   By dumb luck I'll be okay though as I also have a set of Fast Attach wheels for the FA tires that showed up the other day.   

Whew..that was close.   LOL

On 1/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, Grumpy pants said:

A62-D510-A-C12-C-4520-B2-F5-79539-CFA510

I like these  tyres  , what are they? Sorry I couldn't  follow the nomenclature used.... 

52 minutes ago, Steelyglint said:

I like these  tyres  , what are they? Sorry I couldn't  follow the nomenclature used.... 

This set was vintage Rough Rider wheels and tyres, but the rear tyres are the same ones that are on Ford Ranger, Brat and the FAV. 

I can’t remember what the ReRe Rough Rider is called, but they are the same as well. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Are those the Fast Attack Vehicle tires?  

They are the same type @Willy iine 👍

That particular set was from a vintage Rough Rider. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I can’t remember what the ReRe Rough Rider is called, but they are the same as well. 

Buggy Champ :)

• Thanks 2

Thanks all, so do you think it possible I could buy buggy champ tyres and they would fit rere sand scorcher wheels that come with the rere kit? I don't live near a beach and I want to run the scorcher with a kamtec bodyshell, wheels for carparks etc. and buy some alloys and but the paddle tyres on there for when it's on shelf duty. 

42 minutes ago, Steelyglint said:

Thanks all, so do you think it possible I could buy buggy champ tyres and they would fit rere sand scorcher wheels that come with the rere kit? I don't live near a beach and I want to run the scorcher with a kamtec bodyshell, wheels for carparks etc. and buy some alloys and but the paddle tyres on there for when it's on shelf duty. 

If you want to keep with the BC tires for on road usage, I would buy the BC wheel set and paint them white.

If you want to use the BC fat rear tire on the front, get the Brat wheels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m pretty sure the RR and BC front wheels are to tall for Sand Scorcher tyres. 

I haven’t got my set of Rough Rider wheels anymore so I can’t check this, but @kevtherev will likely know the answer. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

If you want to keep with the BC tires for on road usage, I would buy the BC wheel set and paint them white.

Cheers, Its the rear tyres ( & suitable wheels) I was after. The ones that have "sand blaster 915" on the side.  On the basis ( & massive assumption on my part) the sand paddles are designed for sand and with the  front smoothies would be a bit rubbish on tarmac. So whilst waiting for my re re to arrive I'll look for a buggy champ wheel set.

Edited by Steelyglint
Typo 916 meant to be 915
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steelyglint said:

....do you think it possible I could buy buggy champ tyres and they would fit rere sand scorcher wheels that come with the rere kit? .... I want to run the scorcher with a kamtec bodyshell, wheels for carparks etc. and buy some alloys and but the paddle tyres on there for when it's on shelf duty. 

Unfortunately the Buggy Champ tires and wheels are about 1.7" and the Sand Scorcher are about 1.5".   I ended up finding a set up Buggy champ wheels and tires.  

Funny your situation is the same as me.  I have two SS bodies, two set of tires and one chassis.     The Buggy Champ set will be for the gun metal body you see and will be my running body and wheel set.   My shelf queen will be the box art with the aluminum wheels and the stock paddle tires.  

IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I should add that you can use the 1.7 Sand Blaster 915 rear tires on the front with a 5 spoke BC style wheel, if you can find a set of Proline #2524 wheels.

These are white nylon.

You'll have to dye them silver (gray) to match the BC rear wheels, or paint them all to your preferred color...

VqTQzxf.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly you can never have to many SRB wheels to choose from………

fullsizeoutput_13f4.jpg

accumulated over time, running wheels, and shelf wheels to swap around between SS, BC, FB and Wild one.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The other alternative it too fit Brat wheels and tyres all round same as the Ford Ranger as @Frog Jumper posted. 

But you’re right smoothies for Sand and 915’s for anything else imo. 

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Honestly you can never have to many SRB wheels to choose from………

fullsizeoutput_13f4.jpg

accumulated over time, running wheels, and shelf wheels to swap around between SS, BC, FB and Wild one.

Wow, great collection!   I assume the black/red/chrome sets are painted plastic wheels?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’m pretty sure the RR and BC front wheels are to tall for Sand Scorcher tyres. 

I haven’t got my set of Rough Rider wheels anymore so I can’t check this, but @kevtherev will likely know the answer. 

Just read this and you are correct .

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

BC wheel set and tyres ordered thank you all. Now just waiting for the car to arrive... 

• Like 1

Thanks @OnTheTrail, the plastic runners are indeed painted, with enamel brush & spray. The aluminium rim covers have had a brush of either red or yellow enamel to around the edge as well.

As you will be running your wheels I doubt you will be whitening the side wall lettering, but just to let you know the Tamiya BC front tyres don’t have JR Sandblaster to match the rear’s.

But there is a guy on eBay that makes them with JR Sandblaster on and are very good quality,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272522980234?hash=item3f73a2ab8a:g:584AAOSw4GVYLHQV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1