RCRLMichael

DT-03 CVA Damper Length?

Hello all,

I've recently completed the build of my Racing Fighter (for those who want to check it out, I'll leave a link to the video below).

The car turned out great and I'm very pleased with the results, however the front end sits a bit low.  I need to adjust the length of the CVA dampers that came with my kit, however I can't find anywhere in the instructions what the damper length should be.  Does anyone know the correct damper lengths, particularly the front dampers?  I've checked Tamiyabase.com and they don't have the information.

Thanks very much in advance.  Cheers!

If you built them as per the manual then they should be fine.

Arms level is a good place to aim for as it will allow travel in both directions to soak up bumps. 

The front dampers should be built with no spacers inside the body, and the long eyelet screwed on the end. This gives a length of 70mm eye to eye. If the front sits a bit low with those soft springs, add a preload spacer to lift it up a bit. These are the c shaped collars on the damper parts tree.

• Like 1

I cannot remember exactly how I built mine and also I built it for a DT-02, which may be a little different. However, to get more ride height, use more preshock collar and remove spacer rings inside the shock if any are installed. 

Look here for some suggestions I received on how to adjust the ride height. One thing you do not have is the stock springs, which are reported to be better than the ones in the CVA set. 

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

The front dampers should be built with no spacers inside the body, and the long eyelet screwed on the end. This gives a length of 70mm eye to eye. If the front sits a bit low with those soft springs, add a preload spacer to lift it up a bit. These are the c shaped collars on the damper parts tree.

According to the instructions, the front dampers are supposed to use the short eyelet, not the long eyelet (the long eyelet is used on the rear dampers).

I've measured the front dampers on my Racing Fighter and I get an overall length of 70mm.  Centre of eyelet to center of eyelet is 63mm.

As for adding collars, I've tried that and it doesn't seem to increase the front ride height at all.  

2 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

According to the instructions, the front dampers are supposed to use the short eyelet, not the long eyelet (the long eyelet is used on the rear dampers).

I've measured the front dampers on my Racing Fighter and I get an overall length of 70mm.  Centre of eyelet to center of eyelet is 63mm.

As for adding collars, I've tried that and it doesn't seem to increase the front ride height at all.  

You definitely need the long eyelets. Check out this photo of a racing fighter black edition 

spacer.png

Remember, instructions is more like suggestions, you are free to swap parts around, or even use another make of dampers, to suit your needs. That's the beauty of this hobby.

I've just figured out the issue. I indeed had installed the shorter eyelets instead of the longer eyelets as suggested earlier. Poor instruction reading on my part. Rookie error!

I've swapped to the longer eyelets and all is good now (although I will admit, I liked the way the buggy looked with the low front-end).

Thanks for the help everyone!