InsaneJim69

My CEN Solid axle Project Truck.

Well it's only taken me 2 months and now that Christmas and New year are over I decided to buy a Jconcepts Grandma Panel van body for my CEN HL150 monster truck. Anyways ......

Looking for some livery ideas, want to do something simple but make it my own as such. I don't want to go down the grave digger route or anything like that. I like they way that they advertise it in a twin blue and White livery but just wandered if anyone has any ideas or pics of other livery types. 

Looking at 2-3 colours most to keep it simple.

James.

jc0334-1.jpg

• Like 2

No original ideas for you since I typically model my trucks after the 1:1 trucks I knew as a kid, but interested to see what you come up with.  I do like that body and it will be nice to see it done as something other than the Digger.  I do like the JConcepts original art, but I feel this body should have darker colors for some reason...guess I've seen too many Grave Diggers.  Maybe something with Metallic Purple (PS18) in it?  I've only used PS18 once, but really like it.  

• Like 1

Looking through my paint tins stash, I have PS1 white, PS yellow, PS Racing Green, PS Park Green and a few pot of PC Copper and PC Black. So maybe need to print out some blank outlines of a panel Van and steal the kids colouring in pencils and pens to get some ideas. I like the panel lines to split the two colours up so might do copper and black panel lines to separate two colours. 🤔 

Thanks guys,

James.

• Like 1

How about Subaru blue (can't remember the Tamiya code) and some Red Bull stickers off the interweb? Something like the old Tamiya Touareg? I had plans for a Morris Minor van in that livery.

Or the Falken tyres green / blue scheme? You can get masks to make the pattern.

I wasn't looking for a full on race livery, just a simple livery like my OP. 👍 Managed to find a printable picture of an old panel Van that can be coloured in. So gonna print a few out. 👍

James.

• Like 1

Just an idea...

001.jpg

Or if you prefer em shiny...

wa0615-214772_3.jpg?1430165321000

You don't have to go hog-wild with the colors, but they do (IMO) need something on the sides, some business name or logo.

• Like 2

Yeah that's the idea I was looking at, in my original picture on the first post you get the decals with the Jconcepts logo etc with the body I ordered  👍

I mean I still want it to look like a Monster Truck, just not a fully sponsor clad mess 😂👍

James.

Seen a few pics that have gave me some ideas. 

The first one would be green instead of the red.

The second would require me to brush on alot of copper. 🤔

James

hqdefault.jpg

3dce10750ab33702283ac6436b505112--cars-and-trucks-trucks-for-sale.jpg

• Like 1

The problem when a company puts a nice livery on a store photo, I really struggle to look past it and can only see it in those colours.  That OP photo is clearly Rothman's without the name, and it looks great.

That said, I'd be going down the route you're already going, by the looks of it, and find a classic trader's livery.  IMO these older bodies look great with pastel colours, Tamiya's Corsa Grey is nice, as is the Spoon livery.

Otherwise, I'd think about making up a company name that fits the original era, but which is also some kind of pun.  Just of the top of my head, it's a CEN, so you could have "Carter, Edwards and Nash" (sounds to me like a bunch of good old boys who might have traded in the 50s.  Maybe they do Heavy Lifting, or something else that starts with HL.  Or the name might suggest a colour.

I've been thinking of using one of those bodies for a while, it's got me thinking now ;)

• Like 1

Yeah that's a good idea actually. I am really trying to just use the paint I have ATM as Mno where local has any Polycarbonate paint and it won't be here by the weekend (The kids are at the grand parents this weekend) so I have PS sprays in Racing Green, White, Yellow and Park Green. And PC brush on paints in Copper, Black and Pink. 😂👍 So I have limited myself hugely, but I am confident I can pull something together.🤔🤦‍♂️.

I Def am lending towards that red and white, but use the racing green instead of the red, and maybe even add the brush on copper as a pin stripe between the colours? 

James.

• Like 1

How about a Team Hornet/Avante/Frog van? It would add a Tamiya iconic flare to any body.

For example, a black (or black/white) Team Hornet van that matches the Hornet livery. You can easily find Hornet, Frog, Avante stickers on the market.

If you have a comical buggy, it would be extra cool to find a use for those amazing comical stickers and the van body seems to have space!

Comical-Stickers.jpg.5ad78949719d2580b3d6781fdf275576.jpg

A team van supporting your non-comical or comical buggy, I would want one! (giving you a marketing hint Tamiya!).

I have a Team Hornet Beetle project in the pipeline :wub:

• Like 1

If you already have PS Yellow, make it a Lunchbox!  I think that'd look pretty cool and definitely fits the monster truck theme. That's about the most original idea I can come up with :)  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Racing Green, White, Yellow and Park Green

well racing green was a popular colour on our side of the pond around that time, not sure about in the granny wagon's domestic market but I'm sure you can do something with those that will really set off the body.  That Canadian Cider livery in green would work, or you could go two-tone with racing green below the swage line, park green above it, and an oval in white on the panels.  Arguably Tamiya's white is a little too washing machine - whites of the era were more creamy - but it probably won't show that much.  Pinstriping was a big thing so it you're good with a brush you could use the black or copper brush-on to mark the border between the colours.

I don't normally do green, but I'm seeing some good results in my head thinking about that shell :)

• Like 1

Right so a quick doodle at work of an outlined panel Van (the Google image was was very very pixelated) and managed to photocopy 12 sheets. So mocked up 4 different designs, please don't laugh 🤔🤦‍♂️

zxmkuOS.jpeg

9OQoi58.jpeg

KpFjzwg.jpeg

lzleQ9h.jpeg

I am leaning towards number 3 personally with a few decals on the sides etc. I think 4 is a bit plain for a monster truck body.

James.

• Like 3

Nice sketching @Insane_jim_69 

Personally I really like number 1, I think the two big blocks of colour allow good space for decals/logo/artwork 

Number 3 looks great.  The gold stripe really brings out the green.  

A bit late  @InsaneJim69, but when I saw this and you said you have green it made me think of a Hovis bread van for some strange reason?

32C69575-357B-4F34-9C80-FA1425529F45.jpg

Probably not far off what you’ve sketched out. I’m sure using copper for the gold wouldn’t matter. 

• Like 1

Neat work, and great ideas!  I like #3 too, would be my choice.

Ok so this arrived today and I got it all trimmed and body holes drilled. Quite surprised at how big the body is. I may need to do another wheelbase extension mod🤔

yzprY5K.jpeg

Then managed to get it masked and Pai Ted the green. I have strayed a bit from my original design in that the whole top half will be white above the copper and black lines. Also managed to paint the Copper PC brush on paint, and after 3 coats it now looks like this.

988Y12e.jpeg

OLbNAjL.jpeg

And then ....... I got called into work 4 hours early due to 2 member of staff having a positive COVID LFT 🤦‍♂️. FFS, anyways, least I will be finished around 3am and be able to get the black line and window surrounds done and the white Paint for the top half. Then decide on what decals to use. 

James.

• Like 4

Truck looks perfect, what mods does it have on? Hex extension vs offset wheel adapter, same stress on drive train?

• Like 1

I have moved the servo down ontop of the front axle and made an alloy plate which has made the steering miles better. Added 20mm hex extenders and also modified the 4 links and longer prop shafts to increase the wheelbase from 10.75 inches upto 12 inches. I also moved the battery tray as far forward as I could as it wheelies far too easily. So far it's been a good runner and nothing has broke 🤔🙄. Yet !! 

Thanks for the comments guys 👍 next mod is to fit 4 big bore shocks and have 4 spring less dampers to go with them to replace the kit ones as it's still a bit bouncy at times even with 4 of the 8 springs removed.

James.