Rally!

Interesting video and philosophy

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I only use Tamiya yellow oil and use either the single or 2 hole pistons (CVA Mini's) on my cars.. meaning it is very soft compared to a race tuned chassis.  Springs as well, I use soft / soft-ish springs especially on the front, thus needing the faster rebound from the dampers to ensure car is not drag-leaning (not sure if that's a word.. :ph34r:)  after a turn for proper straight tracking (alignment).

On my City Turbo I don't even run oil dampers as I want the suspension to be fairly loose and rebound to be quick.  

I've ordered CVA super mini's for my Quattro. Is that set up you'd recommend for this type of effect. Also, is the yellow oil it comes with the same oil you were referring to? 

I always wanted to see the supple shocks moving like that.

But before you buy about 1.7kg of weights like I did (last summer, thanks to the same guy's video), you might want to consider a few things.  And then you can make an informed decision.  (I still would like to do it halfway, to just one chassis: CC-01).   

pYIbIW3.jpg

cxLTPal.jpg

[1]  Wear on the drive train:  Tamiya didn't design the chassis to carry so much weight.  If you double the weight of the vehicle, wear and tear would be worse. I would expect to replace the entire gears (plus stretched belts and worn tires) often.  (CC-01 was one of the most produced chassis, spare parts are abundant) 

[2]  No jump:  Overload it twice and jump, it's not going to be safe to land. (anybody can fly off any cliff, the problem is always the landing.)  

[3]  No crash:  Imagine dropping a shell (like below) from 3 feet from your workbench, it might shatter.  

[4]  rather substantial commitment.  

pcz1KU5.jpg

He has many body posts to hold up the weight.  He installed weights on the chassis too.  That's A LOT of weights...  (on the other hand, this would be an excellent bulletproof truck for the Smurfs...then again what kind of evil people would shoot at them?!

I wonder if using only half as much might be possible?  I could use very soft springs (and almost no oil in the shocks).  That would be slightly healthier for the chassis and for my mental stability. I would be too nervous to drive a car that can't take much impact.  

Below is a CC-01 bevel gear. You can see the wear on the teeth from running it without spacers (2 brass bearings added later as spacers in this photo). As any CC-01 driver would know, this wear happens without any extra weight if the gear mesh is wrong.  Pot metal isn't a tough material. Adding 1kg isn't going to make it easier. (but with proper meshing, the gears should last some time.)  

ZqKloVs.jpg

In the end, it's RC!  Experimenting and testing is all part of the fun. (For those who wants the weights, this is one place you can get:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDG1JJH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rally! said:

I've ordered CVA super mini's for my Quattro. Is that set up you'd recommend for this type of effect. Also, is the yellow oil it comes with the same oil you were referring to? 

It’s basically the same damper I use, just a shorter housing.  And yes, that is the same oil weight.  The car weight and suspension travel play a big part so choosing the right spring rate and ride height are something to consider.   GL!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

It’s basically the same damper I use, just a shorter housing.  And yes, that is the same oil weight.  The car weight and suspension travel play a big part so choosing the right spring rate and ride height are something to consider.   GL!

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I look forward to experimenting with different settings. For the first little while, I'm going to run the car stock (except for the bearings).

On 1/13/2022 at 11:27 AM, njmlondon said:

I love it.

Thanks for sharing. The timing is perfect. My XV01 Lancia should arrive any day now and I am really interested in making it slower and heavier and with a smoother acceleration to achieve this sort of driving experience.

I know very little about damper oil ratings… is 250 thick compared to standard Tamiya oil that come in CVA packs?

He has TRF dampers, so it's not quite comparable - TRF dampers have smaller holes and tighter gap between the plate and shock body than CVA, so 250 might feel even thicker.

21 hours ago, Rally! said:

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I look forward to experimenting with different settings. For the first little while, I'm going to run the car stock (except for the bearings).

You know that’s smart.  I too like to enjoy the stock setting and then the car will just tell me what I want to do next based on my personal objectives.. it usually does not take much mods, rather precise settings using basic hop ups.

Take your time and enjoy every step.  :D 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

You know that’s smart.  I too like to enjoy the stock setting and then the car will just tell me what I want to do next based on my personal objectives.. it usually does not take much mods, rather precise settings using basic hop ups.

Take your time and enjoy every step.  :D 

This 100% !!! 

I feel sorry for people who buy a r/c or a real car for that matter and even before trying it they mod it to death. I used to love running my standard TA03 and adding one hop up at a time and seeing exactly what difference each item made to the car. Tbh some of Tamiya's hop ups made it slower over a race lap !! 

I mean imagine buying something like a new style Civic Type R and then just dropping it on coil overs, adding extra power and then wandering why it doesn't quite handle as good as everyone says it does 🤦‍♂️🤔

James.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

This 100% !!! 

I feel sorry for people who buy a r/c or a real car for that matter and even before trying it they mod it to death. I used to love running my standard TA03 and adding one hop up at a time and seeing exactly what difference each item made to the car. Tbh some of Tamiya's hop ups made it slower over a race lap !! 

I mean imagine buying something like a new style Civic Type R and then just dropping it on coil overs, adding extra power and then wandering why it doesn't quite handle as good as everyone says it does 🤦‍♂️🤔

James.

That's exactly why I'm doing what I'm doing. I want to see how much of a difference (if any at all) each mod makes.

• Like 1

This has got me thinking about trying to achieve this feeling with my M08 chassis. 
It is stock and already geared for top speed rather than acceleration and carries the Alfa Guilla body. I have a spare body so am feeling like I can experiment.

What set up changes would you make to get a RR chassis to behave like this?

I am thinking longer shocks (I want more ride height anyway), thicker oil (would you go same front and back?), softer springs (softer at the rear?), stabiliser bars (softer at rear? or just take off).

Keen to get the insight from some of you who understand car set up far better than I.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:33 AM, InsaneJim69 said:

I used to love running my standard TA03 and adding one hop up at a time and seeing exactly what difference each item made to the car. Tbh some of Tamiya's hop ups made it slower over a race lap !! 

Agreed. Can you elaborate on that? Which hop ups were the "bad" ones? (it's always a compromise, they might make slower but more robust or more consistent etc.). It's just something I'm thinking about as well and I like to hear other opinions! Thx