Apparently, this kit has been discontinued. Over the course of the last month, acquired 5 in succession.

Since it is school holidays in this part of the world, I saw this as a good opportunity for a group build with my 2 daughters. Ended up, some of their friends also joined. Took the whole day from 9am to 9pm but by the end it, we have 3 working trucks.

Prior to the build, I painted the pink & blue with the intention to keep the factory finished white for myself. In the end, my girls took the blue & white while daddy is left with the pink.

IMG_5577(2).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

IMG_5580(2).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

IMG_5582(2).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

IMG_5817(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

IMG_5816(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

The large stickers are not easy. I failed in my previous attempt but decided to try the wet application method. I would say I managed to level up on the sticker application department as a result.

• Like 4

Both look very nice!!!   How do they run (and have you tried the single vs dual shock on each corner to compare)?

Nice, I just finished building mine (although haven't painted the body yet, it's too cold here for paint).  Haven't had a chance to run it much either.  Are the tyres glued on the RTR model?  I gave mine a test-run with unglued tyres, it feels like they're slipping, but there's nothing in the instructions about gluing them (unless I missed it by accident).  I'm not sure if they need foams, the tyres feel very flexible, but no foams are included.

4 hours ago, Killajb said:

Both look very nice!!!   How do they run (and have you tried the single vs dual shock on each corner to compare)?

The kit came very inadequate qty of shock fluid. So, I had only enough to barely make 4 shocks. With Lipo battery, suspension seemed plush. Steering response only so so even though I have installed racing servo (Power HD B5) on one of them and JX 32kg/high speed servo on the other.

Searched the whole of Australia but could only find 20wt shock fluid. So with 4 of 10wt & 4 of 20wt shocks - steering more responsive but more bouncy not as plush. I think ideally, if all 8 shocks were on 10wt oil, that may be ideal.

For some reason, the kit TH1 model came with unglued tires, the chevy like blue body that came prepainted did come with white pre glued wheels. Also the 2WD RTR model did come with pre glued tires. I glued mine.

I am running 13.5T Track Star with 25AV pinion with some boost & turbo on the (cannot remember name) esc. Pretty zippy.

Other trucks with same motor but with Trackstar 80A Turbo esc missing programming were not so fast. Need to get the program box to program more ommph

I used Tamiya Antiwear grease for the diff to simulate a bit of resistance.

The plastic 4 links that came with the kit is probably the weakest link B)

IMG_6473.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

My daughter's broke after the first outing

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, joeling said:

The plastic 4 links that came with the kit is probably the weakest link B)

My daughter's broke after the first outing

Oh dear, was considering a MST kit but worried about how much plastic they seem to use. Might need to reconsider now.

BTW, are you in AU or MY? You spoke of AU but your profile shows MY?

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Oh dear, was considering a MST kit but worried about how much plastic they seem to use. Might need to reconsider now.

BTW, are you in AU or MY? You spoke of AU but your profile shows MY?

Yeah, I work there but live here.

I think once the links are swapped for alloy ones, all should be good.

43 minutes ago, joeling said:

I am kind of looking for something good OOB, without needing all the upgrades an usual Tamiya kit needs before it is good.

Anyway, I don't seem to see much MST upgrades, even on their own website, mostly spares of what are already in the box.

@alvinlwh if you are looking for a monster truck kit to run straight from the box the options are few but have you looked at the Axial SMT10? 

AMain Hobbies might be the best way to get one to you (though take into account shipping and customs). Or Appliance Electronics (not a joke, an actual supplier) or others such as Modelsport in the UK.

Admittedly, I picked mine up on sale so it came in significantly cheaper than if bought direct from the UK. Of course, you still need to add a motor, ESC and body.

I've not built it yet but there is a wealth of info out in the wilds (and a fair amount on TC) about the kit.

If you wanted a Tamiya that doesn't require much in the way of hop-ups to run straight out of the box then how about the TXT-2 or CR-01?

13 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

@alvinlwh if you are looking for a monster truck kit to run straight from the box the options are few but have you looked at the Axial SMT10? 

AMain Hobbies might be the best way to get one to you (though take into account shipping and customs). Or Appliance Electronics (not a joke, an actual supplier) or others such as Modelsport in the UK.

Admittedly, I picked mine up on sale so it came in significantly cheaper than if bought direct from the UK. Of course, you still need to add a motor, ESC and body.

I've not built it yet but there is a wealth of info out in the wilds (and a fair amount on TC) about the kit.

If you wanted a Tamiya that doesn't require much in the way of hop-ups to run straight out of the box then how about the TXT-2 or CR-01?

Cheers, I am not looking for a monster truck specifically but just wondering about MST's overall quality, that's all.

Appliance Electronics does not ship to my location, I am aware that they do RC.

No worries about motor or ESCs, I have never really liked Tamiya's anyway and in my most recent build, did not even bother to remove the 04 from the bag.

If I am to get a truck, I am considering one of the CCs, for looks if nothing else, but not in the UK. They are cheap if purchased out in the Far East. If this covid thing clears up, I should be out there in a few months time, or next year.

• Like 1

They look perfect,  Im happy to see more MTX-1 on forum.

Also working on mine :) 

Could you share running video that would be very fun to drive w/ your daughters, have fun.

7 hours ago, joeling said:

Yeah, I work there but live here.

That’s some commute 😆

I’ve only been back in the hobby for a few months and I know the pandemic doesn’t help but I’ve found the Tamiya scene pretty dead here in Oz in terms of parts and even stores with an actual interest in Tamiya. I know it’s not the 80’s anymore but was still hoping it would be a little easier to access stuff. Having to rely on eBay scalpers or Asian stores with exorbitant postage is getting frustrating really quickly.

11 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Cheers, I am not looking for a monster truck specifically but just wondering about MST's overall quality, that's all.

Appliance Electronics does not ship to my location, I am aware that they do RC.

No worries about motor or ESCs, I have never really liked Tamiya's anyway and in my most recent build, did not even bother to remove the 04 from the bag.

If I am to get a truck, I am considering one of the CCs, for looks if nothing else, but not in the UK. They are cheap if purchased out in the Far East. If this covid thing clears up, I should be out there in a few months time, or next year.

@alvinlwh the MST crawler kits are very nice quality, even with all of the plastic.  I have a CFX and although small for a 1:10 crawler, it is probably the smoothest running trail truck I have.  I don't have an MTX, but after taking a close look through @Mad Ax build thread it's basically a CFX with a few modifications and big tires.  I haven't heard of any drivetrain issues with the MTX so safe to say on a small crawler the drivetrain is pretty tough.  I haven't broken a single part on my CFX and still running it completely stock, plastic links and all.  Hope this helps. 

Need to do a run tomorrow, decided to an emergency repair on the broken member while waiting for aluminum links. In hindsight, any 50mm link tube would have worked. Overpaid for the upgrade :(. center to center appears to be 90mm. Decided to use the spare turnbuckle intended for the modification of the steering to the right side for the TD04 for this purpose :

IMG_6590.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

broken bit

IMG_6592.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

part to effect the repair

IMG_6591.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Generous amount of locktite. All done waiting to be installed

• Like 1

IMG_6997.jpg

cleaning day

IMG_7005.jpg

Alloy upgrade

04FECBB5-3075-4896-89D0-2D1ABF87EEAE.JPG