Ineptus_Mechanicus

Need Help - Super Hotshot upgrades

Hey guys, new R/C builder here. Been wanting an R/C car for a while now as it's been a decade or so since I had anything other than a late-eighties Tyco toy.

Just built my Super Hotshot and I'm looking at getting some upgrades, namely a BZ motor and U-joint axles. I've got the BZ motor ordered but I can't figure out which axles I need. I'm also looking for a heatsink (w/ or w/o fans) for the motor. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you are using the BZ motor which comes with the dust cover, you will not be able to use a heatsink. I have a Thunder Dragon with a TZ and heatsink. What will happen is, unless someone comes along and give you a link of exactly what to get, you probably need to buy a few to find one that will fit into your chassis although yours seem to have more room than mine.

Thanks. I've got one already I'll probably just modify if it gets too hard to find one that's specifically made for the Hotshot. I had a question about grease for the differentials, as well; I bought this tube of bicycle chain grease that appears to be functionally identical to the grease Tamiya ships with the kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L5YYYA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I'm assuming this is okay to use? I'd get the Tamiya stuff but it's a month wait for it.

1 hour ago, Ineptus_Mechanicus said:

I had a question about grease for the differentials, as well; I bought this tube of bicycle chain grease that appears to be functionally identical to the grease Tamiya ships with the kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L5YYYA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I'm assuming this is okay to use? I'd get the Tamiya stuff but it's a month wait for it.

OK, there are some who will say ONLY use modelling grease, preferably Tamiya. They will say using off label stuff will cause the plastic to break, global warming or create a black hole. Personally I use the cheapest moly type on metal gears, like the diff and pinion and ceramic type on plastic gears. 

However, if you are into tuning the diff, Tamiya AW grease (or copper anti seize grease had been suggested) will make the diff more stiff or diff putty will make it really stiff. 

If you are building it stock, don't the kit comes with grease? Just use that. 

Hmm. Alright, how MUCH grease should I be using in these diffs? I know they're not supposed to be bathed in the stuff but the amount I was able to put in there and still have enough for the rest of the car seemed criminally small.

1 hour ago, Ineptus_Mechanicus said:

Hmm. Alright, how MUCH grease should I be using in these diffs? I know they're not supposed to be bathed in the stuff but the amount I was able to put in there and still have enough for the rest of the car seemed criminally small.

Really, you just need a little. I put a little bead onto the two larger gears, the ones at either end of the the diff, then spin the diff to work them onto the smaller gears. There will be enough for the whole car, you will find that with the speed your BZ spins at, most will get thrown off anyway. There are some people that actually run the gearbox dry as grease actually slow things down. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:42 PM, Ineptus_Mechanicus said:

I've got the BZ motor ordered but I can't figure out which axles I need. 

You'll need the Top Force axles and possibly 5x11x3mm inner hub bearings?

I've just finished my Super Hotshot. I went with Yeah Racing parts, shocks, 70mm universals and TA02 Bell crank steering. I also used M06 steering knuckles to eliminate bumpsteer

20220126_164414.jpg

• Like 6