Sign in to follow this  
timatc

MFC Issues - Battery?

I have just finished installing the MFC-03 unit into my Cascadia. The truck works well most of the time, however I can force the unit to shutdown if I move the steering very fast in one direction and the other on the controller - the MFC appears to switch off and switch back on again, with the alarm sound / lights blinking momentarily. This can also occur randomly from time to time, but mainly with the steering.

I have km5515ma 6.0V analog servers for steering / shift and a 3000mAh LRP NiMH 7.2v battery that is very new and charged.

Is this normal, or is the battery / servo(s) to blame? Should I get a different battery?

An update, this issue only seems to occur if the shift / steering function on the transmitter are moved very fast from side to side (i.e. the rc stick on the transmitter unit). Is this normal?

I have a Futaba 4YWD, and there are reports of this unit not playing nicely with the MFC units. Would it be worthwhile switching to a RadioLink R9S or similar with a new reciever?

Ok, I have purchased a better tx / radio and reciever - what is being reported is low voltage on the reciever side caused by the servos. Is this common with high power / performance servos with Tamiya MFC units? Have seen other posts which suggests that it is.

i have the same on my on my grand hauler with the mfu -01 and i run a 5000 batt and also basic servos it may be my battery tbh 

With the MFC-03 you can shut the truck off via the transmitter. I forget the combination, but it involves moving both L/R sticks. I think it is left stick to the right and right stick up. (same time) Will turn truck back on also. You could possibly be triggering this?

You don't really need high power servo's for the semi trucks. To much power drawn to run the servo's could drop BEC of receiver to drop enough that the MFC thinks it has a dead battery and shuts down. A not so good battery could cause this also.

I installed a small glitch buster capacitor in all my trucks. This will buffer the BEC of the receiver to keep power more stable when needed. Acts like a little battery, that stores a little power, so when power drops it will fill in the gap. About $7.00 and just plugs into receiver. (may need a "Y" if no open spots on receiver) You don't need a big one either. It will helps for this issue also.

If changing radio, always reset the MFC to the new radio, by pushing the button and up/down, left/right sticks.

Thanks Tamiya Fan 1 and everyone. I can confirm that this was the servos. I have bought 2x Carson CS3 (3KG) servos - will this suffice for a truck?

@Tamiya Fan 1 thanks for your advice on the glitch buster - I might look at getting one of these. Do you ever have brownouts with this installed? Any risk of damage / danger to the MFC unit or reciever?