Forni

Toyota Hilux Restoration 58028

I just finished a restoration project. The color is a orange-red. The decals are from MCI. The original Semi-ESC is working nicely. 

It is a nice runner.

PRF_0088.jpg

• Like 17

Super sweet . Any topless shots ? - of the truck that is !!

I restored one of these some years back , along with a Bruiser , they sure take some time don't they !

• Like 1

Here are some more pictures. I added a full set of ball bearings in the axels and the transmission. Cleaned the case of the transmission, polished the rims and repainted the body. The truck is in good original condition. The only thing I probably will replace are the leaf springs. Unfortunately at the front there are minor adaptions necessary because the springs are a bit longer (second hole in the frame).

Hilux_27.jpeg

Hilux_28.jpeg

Hilux_29.jpeg

Hilux_30.jpeg

Hilux_31.jpeg

Hilux_32.jpeg

Hilux_33.jpeg

Hilux_34.jpeg

• Like 15

Beautiful car and lovely sensitive restoration.

I did one of these myself but over-restored it and never ran it.

I think it is awesome that you are going to run yours. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Hello, looking really sweet, i like you cleaned it so nicely. Paint work looks great and shiny. Did you leave original motor?  I am currently restoring one like this my self.

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes the motor is original and it runs quite good. Also the old transistor ESC is actually nice to drive, vintage but cool. I don’t now how well a stronger motor is taken by the transmission. Even if it is now equipped with ball bearings, it seams to be fragile and sensitive to torque.

Also a weak point are the knuckles, it is certainly good to have one spare. The knuckles from the old Bruiser / Mountaineer fit also and are improved in stability.

The only bad thing is suspension, for a runner it is worth to replace the leaf springs with softer ones, and add the damper with the most hard oil.

• Like 1

Lovely job and very nice to see one standing the test of time so well 👍🏻

• Like 1

That looks amazing!
Great work on the iconic piece of Tamiya history. Very cool to see you run it. As others have mentioned, after restoring mine it has seen no run time - which is kind of sad. Now go out and hook it up to a skateboard and let it tow you around, as in the vintage Tamiya catalog :D 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 9:37 PM, casethejoint said:

Lovely!

If you can paint/re-paint the Good-Year tire lettering that will really make it pop. 

Do you have a recommendation for that? Do you use acrylic color for that?

I love the look of white lettering on tires on selected model, including the Hilux 4x4 - but I hate the process of doing it. The Hiilx tires are fiddly (well, for me it was) :D
I used a very fine tip permanent marker in white on mine.

img610_02102009145234_2.jpg

• Like 5

+1 @simensays 

In fact, I probably read / copied you here 😂

The colour in permanent markers is designed to bite quickly - initially fluid / permeable + rapidly aerated / sticky 

Done well on tyres it leaves a reducing white veneer as the paint dries - making the tyres look truly 1:1  👍

• Like 1

I startet a new project, now in blue metallic and the custom MCI decals. They are great.

0BDEED65-57A4-4126-9FBD-F5634E49D5E7.jpeg

• Like 5

Very nice work on both of them, I like the top of the bed painted black on your red truck. That color blue is sharp, especially with those decal colors. What brand of paint and/or combination of coats did you use to get such a hue? 

Thanks! Its a Toyota Color „Toyota SPECTRA BLUE PEARL 8M6“. I used a grey primer as a base coat, than a light blue as a color primer, then three coats of the Spectra Pearl paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good idea, I will plan a video for a next ride and post it. With the Bruiser springs and softer tires they run smooth. BTW on that one I mounted 1.9” custom aluminium rims for standard tires.

13 hours ago, Forni said:

Good idea, I will plan a video for a next ride and post it. With the Bruiser springs and softer tires they run smooth. BTW on that one I mounted 1.9” custom aluminium rims for standard tires.

Please do! I remember the original Hilux videos playing in my LHS back in the day and still love a Hilux video!

I did a similar mod to my Hilux… I used hi-lift tires and kept the original wheels but stretched RC4WD tires over the rims. Why did I sell that truck!?

D293F334-8F27-486D-93F8-8A39E0522AC5.jpeg

Following your thread I am now seriously considering finding another one and restoring it as a runner. Maybe in blue too!