Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Twin motor, twin battery ESC voltage question (EVX, etc.)

I have several twin motor, twin battery ESCs for my monster trucks : a Novak Super Duty rated at 16.8v and two Traxxas (Novak built) EVXs rated at 14.4v. The Super Duty was built to run two 8.4v packs and the EVXs two 7.2v packs. 

If running only one pack, both ESCs instruct you to use a specific one of the battery plugs (the one that is consequentially tapped for the BEC) and to connect the two terminals of the second unused battery plug together (which I do with a removable jumper plug). Stereotypically,  the battery limit is now halved i.e. the Super Duty can now handle only one 8.4v pack and the EVXs one 7.2v pack.

My goal is to run one 8.4v pack through one of the EVXs. Since I can't just plug it into one of the plugs (with other jumper'ed) because its limit is 7.2 in this configuration, can I create a "Y" plug feeding both ESC plugs off of one 8.4v pack (since, with both plugs in use, the limit now jumps to 14.4v)? My only concern is if the BEC will see enough voltage in this configuration, but in theory, it should as both plugs should be "seeing" the 8.4 volts. Confusing, I know, but I'm stingy and this is what's available to me.

20220114_163333

Not answering your question specifically, but I have ran many 2s packs through an original evx in the early style e-maxx. Each  side didn’t have a problem with the 8.4, I’m relatively sure a 6 cell nimh battery fresh off the charger will be closer to the 8.4 than 7.2. I have a few clods with evx2’s and they have no problem running a single 3s on the bec side, and jumpered on the other as your describe.   I am curious the one in your picture is from a villain, I don’t know if the calibration is the same as fwd/brake/rev, I’m not sure if not having the heatsinks will cause you a problem either.  

only thing that looks odd to me is the word on esc  MARINE......last time i tried a esc with marine on it it blow when i fitted it to a car...m03 mini

On 1/15/2022 at 4:36 PM, junkman said:

I am curious the one in your picture is from a villain, I don’t know if the calibration is the same as fwd/brake/rev, I’m not sure if not having the heatsinks will cause you a problem either.  

On 1/16/2022 at 8:47 AM, tam-trucks said:

last time i tried a esc with marine on it it blow when i fitted it to a car...m03 mini

I have a couple EVXs including the pictured Marine version. I've had this one in Clod Busters and WR01s for over 10 years now with no issues fortunately, running everything from twin 550 Titians on 14.4v to twin 15T 540s on 7.2v.  I just never tried a single 8.4v pack though, which I'd like to couple with some standard silvercans for a project I'm working on.