Sign in to follow this  
simalarion

Isolated with Corona - Entertain me w Pics off your Best Car

Lying isolated looking at an un-Opened Tamico box 22x35x52, but that will have to wait.

So if you do not mind please show pics off RC car you are most proud off, what you have done with it and what part you are most pleased with, to top it off you could also add a video or pics off it in action (if not a shelf Queen ofc). Ps: i do not mind «nerdy» inside info on how figure paint jobs etc was done, i love that stuff! (Also regarding Hop-Ups/Mods)

Hey, got nothing to do here guys! ;)

Been looking at this unicum in F1 history kit several times, there is a pre-painted body kit off it as well. I do not have anywhere to drive such kit so i dropped it (neither for my Subaru Impreza currently in a box but could not resist)

• Like 1

I found a nice new paved parking lot 15min from my house. It’s opened my eyes to on-road cars. I’m trolling Craigslist for a cheap RC10L or Bolink pan car…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frog Jumper said:

I found a nice new paved parking lot 15min from my house. It’s opened my eyes to on-road cars. I’m trolling Craigslist for a cheap RC10L or Bolink pan car…

Please make a short video when driving it if you do not mind, im a bit curious on how it handle :), are you planing a brushless setup?. Wheels looks pretty sweet 

The P34 isn’t mine to drive and I don’t have the road car yet.

one day…

3 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

The P34 isn’t mine to drive and I don’t have the road car yet.

one day…

Thanks for sharing!

Edit: i can understand you cant judt take a spin as its also mint in a box

Here are some pix and vids from our Team NC meeting last month. @Bash and @speedy_w_beans came down and drove in the parking lot I mentioned. Mine is the BarbieFoot…

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear, @simalarion   :( Hope you and your daughter is okay.   Get well soon. B) 

As for my shameless pitch, please click in my signature for the cars I am most proud of.    It does not list all my cars, but the most recent ones I did since Covid started. 

If you do not see my signature, click my avatar and About Me and scroll down.  

• Thanks 1

The youngest that brought this from kindergarden is ok now, other one is strait out now today though, think she was the last off us to carch it

Isolated with all these girls for days with  “just dance” & “my litle Pony” and similar stuff i really need some time off looking at RC cars ;)

• Haha 2

You need a BarbieFoot:

J1ZX3MN.jpg

This one is the BF2.  It’s a Blackfoot chassis with a Barbie Safari toy truck moded to fit.  35t crawler motor to slow it down.  Then you 3 can geek out together!

Anothrr pix I found:

xcilkVE.jpg

• Haha 2

Don’t laugh!  It was a good summer walking around the lake driving with my daughter. She outgrew Barbie’s and now her car sits in her closest. But it was worth it…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

You need a BarbieFoot:

J1ZX3MN.jpg

This one is the BF2.  It’s a Blackfoot chassis with a Barbie Safari toy truck moded to fit.  35t crawler motor to slow it down.  Then you 3 can geek out together!

My take on this:

spacer.png

Not a huge success so far though :)

• Like 3

I want a comical avante, just for the chassis. I’d love to put a GIJoe jeep on there or something.  Maybe a Tonka truck…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simalarion said:

The youngest that brought this from kindergarden is ok now, other one is strait out now today though, think she was the last off us to carch it

Isolated with all these girls for days with  “just dance” & “my litle Pony” and similar stuff i really need some time off looking at RC cars ;)

Good to hear one of your daughters is in the clear. Yeah, I think it’s just a matter of time we all catch it.

With my wife being an essential worker in the IT field, she has been visiting her clients all through the pandemic, but so far none of us have gotten sick to the point we needed to verify whether Corona or not.   Just a matter of luck now..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can not find your list of cars pressing your signatur, just see your recent posts:blink: @Willy iine , i bet its hard for you to pick out a favorite anyway?

@Frog Jumper I may try to spray a Willy hard body pink and put it on the gf01 C.Avante chassis to try to improve the girl power 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Can not find your list of cars pressing your signatur, just see your recent posts:blink: @Willy iine 

@Frog Jumper I may try to spray a Willy hard body pink and put it on the gf01 C.Avante chassis to try to improve the girl power 

If you go to my profile page, click on Activity and you can toggle between Activity and About Me.  Select About Me. 

IMG_2022-1-15-104130.png.1381123f1c4ec5ae48b8421e97efcbc2.png

Hi @simalarion, I'm sorry you caught the 'rona and I hope you're feeling better soon.  I hope I can entertain and inspire you some.

I've been in the RC hobby for the past 12 years and have built close to 50 different models.  Out of all of those, the ones that I'm the most proud of are the ones that were challenging, creative, and came together looking "right" in the end.  In no particular order:

Amarok Team Build:  @scollins posted an open invitation a few years ago for TC members to participate in a team build where we focus on a single chassis, mail it between members, and divide & conquer the work.  Several people wanted to participate but international shipping costs made the idea difficult.  I was one of the only USA-based members to respond, so we started with a phone call to get to know each other better, and then he offered up a VW Amarok for us to work on.  He had built the chassis already and added the aluminum motor mount, but hadn't completed the body yet.  He shipped it to me, and I added a GPM steering set, Yeah Racing clamp-type wheel hexes, and a high-turn motor.  For the body I took inspiration from the friendship I've had with @mongoose1983 and wanted to make a search/rescue vehicle for a Chilean ski resort.  Also added to the mix was a set of rubber snow/sand tracks to complete the look.  I painted the body pearl white, printed stickers on clear paper on a laser printer, and made aluminum side steps.  The body lines are done with ABC Hobby fine line tape.  After that I sent it back to @scollins, and he added light buckets and a LED set.  He took several photos and did some driving, and ran into problems with the rubber tracks having too much friction.  He sent it back and I 3D-printed some new tracks, but they weren't durable enough.  This model has probably been mailed back and forth between him and me 3-4 times, and it's currently with me but repurposed for a different body in the future.  The collaboration was good, and along the way we became good friends.

IMG_2795.thumb.JPG.e32fdb788b54096c917128ad59ae49f5.JPG

IMG_2796.thumb.JPG.9c5d2039357a55ddf2069f8df297db69.JPG

"Bump Steer" Lunch Box:  I've shown this model a few times over the years, but never really described the details.  Basically this started as a Lunch Box chassis build re-using an older damaged body.  One of the funny characteristics of Lunch Boxes is how much bump steer they have, or how much the steering changes as the suspension compresses.  As a play on words, I settled on an animal-themed body design loosely drawing from cattle.  My wife and I went to the local fabric shop and bought a little bit of fake fur.  It's all attached to the body shell with contact cement.  Red LEDs fill the headlight buckets; a wire keychain serves as the nose ring.  I put a bit of time into forming a styrene rode into a set of horns.  I used a fine-blade saw to make some slits in the rod and then glued the slits shut to create the basic curvature.  Then some 60 grit sandpaper smoothed the curvature, sharpened the ends into tips, and created some texture on the surface of the styrene.  I rubbed some brown and black pastel dust into the rough styrene, and wrapped the horns with twine to secure them to the body.

The finishing touch to the model, to me, was to drill part of the front grill, add some "nostrils" of styrene tubing, and then create a smoke generator controlled by a third radio channel.  A Turnigy remote-controlled switch plugs into the third receiver channel and controls power to a battery-powered aquarium pump.  The pump sends air into a box where some vaping coils are mounted.  The coils are filled with "juice" and then the nozzles connect to nitro fuel tubing to run the smoke to the grill nostrils.  It works pretty well and adds some effect to a joke model.

IMG_2939.thumb.JPG.966930fc8f89d098446fc8944c5237cc.JPG

IMG_2944.thumb.JPG.578c42b47725413811ee8e10485ff521.JPG

IMG_2946.thumb.JPG.ae308460344aaed973b5e38611bc7e47.JPG

F103GT Nissan GTR LM Nismo:  There's not much to say about the chassis; it's a fairly stock build of a F103GT.  What I'm really proud of here are the modifications to the body to give it some extra detail.  I started with cutting and removing the front grill, fender tops, exhaust ports, and rear aero.  For the front grill, exhaust pipes, and rear aero I studied quite a few Google Images photos of the 1:1 car and spent time in CAD designing parts to 3D print.  Those parts are painted and held in place with servo tape.  I didn't like Tamiya's photos showing the rear wing and the large amount of clear laying over the main body; I trimmed most of the clear off the wing and just have the two screw attachment points.  To me it looks a lot better that way.  Originally the rear of the body was a solid piece of Lexan with one large sticker placed over it; having some 3D-printed parts added a lot of depth and detail to the body.

IMG_3083.thumb.JPG.cae1a137e6227206878e36a465122c36.JPG

IMG_3085.thumb.JPG.fd7d73c8b5f968e72fefa5c420328e1f.JPG

IMG_3082.thumb.JPG.c40aab3cc132ba1f8e71e863defc3f8b.JPG

King Yellow Special:  @smirk-racing at one point asked for help building a dream RC for his nephew's birthday.  After some PM'ing back and forth, I agreed to build a G6-01 King Yellow with Dynahead portals for him.  He shipped me the kit and extra parts, and I gave him periodic updates on progress.  As the build progressed one of the things we talked about was adding accurate lighting.  What I'm most proud of with this build are the 3D-printed headlights, tail lights, and roof lights combined with a few lighting controllers driven off extra channels on the radio.  The headlights and tail lights function as expected using the main steering and throttle channels for input, but the transmitter/receiver combo had a few extra channels I could use to drive alternating yellow blinkers and alternating red blinkers in the roof pods.  All bezels, lenses, and internal LED clamps were 3D printed and based on measurements of Tamiya's molded parts.  I had to drill a few holes in the Lexan body to mount everything in place.  In the end, it was a pretty cool model with the portal axle and full LED functionality, especially the roof LEDs.  Lots of wiring to manage with this project.

IMG_4357.thumb.JPG.b4cda197fd7b0eacc0d91e2dd5f33011.JPG

IMG_4358.thumb.JPG.2dac18bf762ecba3234ea2c37fc93256.JPG

IMG_4359.thumb.JPG.6da15343579fc91116f5a677613d7cba.JPG

IMG_4361.thumb.JPG.73725a4d04ecd29a213f3bfd01d63d4d.JPG

Hot Wheels Homage:  My parents saved most of my Hot Wheels from when I was a child in the 70s.  Some years ago they presented me with the original collectors case filled with my cars from the era.  One of my favorites back then was a Porsche 917 which was part of Hot Wheel's Flying Colors series.  I wanted to make a RC homage to that, enjoy some nostalgia, and push myself a little on the paint and graphics.

The chassis itself is a RJ Speed Sport 3.2 pan car kit.  I 3D-printed magnetic body mounts, saddle pack battery boxes, foam-to-12mm hex axle adapters, and a pinion/spur cover to minimize debris in the gears.  The wheels were designed in CAD referencing the original car and taking measurements from 1/10 F1 wheels, and the chrome wheel covering came from the same CAD data sent to a vinyl cutter.  I also cut some vinyl to recreate the red line stripes on the tires.  The rubber tires normally fit F104-style wheels.

The body is a RJ Speed 962-style shell.  To separate the different layers of paint I created some paint masks using the same vinyl cutter, grabbing a Porsche logo from Google Images for reference.  I tried to keep the same proportions for the Porsche logo and #9 as the original Hot Wheel.  Of course some adjustments were needed since I was taking a 917 paint design and recreating it on a 962.  Some of the panel lines are finished with ABC Hobby fine line tape.  The window trim, headlight trim, and Hot Wheels logo were cut on the vinyl cutter.  It's difficult to see, but there is some red trim tape along the bottom edge of the body.  In the end, I'm proud of the paint job.  There's plenty of color, the lines are clean, and it truly reflects a lot of fun memories from my childhood.

IMG_4435.thumb.JPG.e1ddaa929e2630d64e43e7c9a11af5c6.JPG

IMG_4436.thumb.JPG.e753b89cc3ce59eed6489cde29e7b199.JPG

IMG_4440.thumb.JPG.3e985bc5c7d7265bc3c9baf6aa1fa802.JPG

Get well soon!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Not only my favourite but easiest to paint

TA06  MSDSC_0068.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is probably the one I'm most proud of. It's the second car I've ever build and the first after joining the forum. It's a re-release of the Sand Rover on the DT-02 chassis. I've done a lot of research that time to find the right solutions for what I was aiming for. I've shortened the front and rear arms to narrow the track and shortened the chassis tub about 1 cm and glued it back together. I know there are more elegant ways to make the wheelbase and track narrower but at that time the budget was more an issue than today and I like to make/mod things by myself rather than buying. Anyway, the body fits perfectly and is mounted invisibly with magnets. All holes are filled with styrene and putty and for the holes in the rear I've made a rear seat.

IMG_20200725_231505_compress56.thumb.jpg.30b2226936be792f97a2594017d89cde.jpg

The wheels were a little bit tricky as I read somewhere that the Sand Blaster tires were a perfect fit to M-chassis wheels, which aren't. But I wanted to use the VW style wheels and so started to search the hardware stores around for a solution. In the plumber department of one of these stores I found a tube for toilet flushing which had the right inner diameter and almost the perfect outer diameter. I've cut eight slices of about four mm thickness and glued them to the inner and outer part of the rims. Then put them in the cordless drill shaped them with a hobby knife and paint the part silver. Also the front wheels and tires were cut in the middle, narrowed and glued back together.

I have some pictures of the car on the beach on my computer. I will try to upload some of them 

Currently the chassis is used for a Blitzer body with a brushless set and even some serious bashing is no problem for the glued chassis.

IMG_20220115_221358_compress26.thumb.jpg.bec9aa9863f60c7239550322fad2f40d.jpg

IMG20210523152845_compress31.thumb.jpg.531867c388ecbc0ee31fc015b945e31f.jpg

Edited by Aerobert
Additional information
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Loving it!, believe you forgot about the driver wich also looks amazing.

There is a Lot of talent lurking around on this forum :)

• Thanks 1

I don't know if I'm most proud of this car but it's up there. Also, not a Tamiya, but when it comes to drifting, Tamiya has NOTHING to offer (proper RWD drifiting). Thought you might like to see something a little different. Get well quick!

• Thanks 1

@Theibault - Very interesting watch as i do not know much about drifting setup from before. Extra bonus to get vince vaughn to voice youre expertice in the Rc Car Drifting setup ;)

• Like 1