esmuz

Spektrum DX3C Worth buying?

Hey, would you buy a Spektrum DX3C used radio + SR300 transmitter for 50€? 

I am not a racer but I am looking for a decent radio, with cheap and easy to buy recievers that can operate at 7.4V and I found several DX3C in my area.. 

Any other suggestion in this price range?

PS: I´ve read the DX3C and similar spektrum radios from these years use to get steering spring broken with use but it's easy to fix.

Thanks.

As you noted, the DX3C's are notorious for the steering return spring to break.. and as you also noted easy to replace.  But you shouldn't have to do that..  (I personally own both DX3C and DX4S from that era and no issue yet.  I currently run DX5Pro-2021 on my off roaders and been very happy).

I would check out the FlySky radios on Amazon.  They are budget minded and appear to be reliable.  GL with your purchase. 

Thanx, yes I already have a Flysky one, so cheap, but the range is pretty bad.... 

6 minutes ago, esmuz said:

Thanx, yes I already have a Flysky one, so cheap, but the range is pretty bad.... 

Oh I see..  hummmmm .. if you're willing to spend some money, Futaba's have been rock solid for me over the decades..  

I can also recommend the DX5Pro-2021, if you're into Spektrums but honestly at that price I am sure there are others that do just as well.  I bought the DX5Pro-2021 last year because I have a bunch of Spectrum receivers I ran on my various cars over the last decade, so just made sense for me to have a radio that was compatible.

haha well, no, actually my budget is around 50€, and that's why I am looking for second hand stuff... I was just wondering if in this range of price, a 2011 system makes any sense... 

I can second Futaba. Not the cheapest, but I've used them for 20 years, and wouldn't use any other brand. (bit like Tamiya really)

I found a Sanwa MX3X too, but the Spektrum seems more modern and easies interface.. 

I guess my question is if not being a racer but looking for decent lag and High voltage in my servos, buying radios from 10 years ago still makes sense. Specially with my limited budget. 

Is a 2021 Flysky or similar cheapo brand costing around 50€ better than a 2011 Top brand mid range radio?

I've owned a DX3C from new for many, many years and I love it, it's still my go-to transmitter for racing.  There should be a lot of compatible receivers on the used market if you want to operate multiple cars.  I've never had a problem with my radio despite years of hard use, it's been dropped, left outside overnight, soaked in heavy rain, abandoned half-way across the country on a lonely deserted podium for 3 days, the case is covered in tyre glue spats from an accidental throttle-on incident, and still it works absolutely fine.  The FlySky GT5 transmitter I bought for around 60 Euro to replace it, broke after about 2 years of minimal use due to a failed throttle potentiometer, which is of such a bizarre size that it seems impossible to replace.  I have two FlySky stick transmitters which I think are great value for money, but honestly, after trying for so long to find the parts to fix my GT5, I couldn't in good conscience recommend the wheel transmitter to anyone.

There's only two problems with the older Spektrum:

1) if you buy used, you've no idea how it's been treated, and no support if it breaks after two weeks use

2) it uses a frequency no longer supported in Europe.  (At least I think this is the case).  A few years ago I could buy tiny ORX receivers for around 6 Euro each, fully compatible and trouble free (with the caveat that out of 10 delivered, one would be dead on arrival), but they disappeared off the market, the reason given, that frequency isn't allowed to be sold in Europe any more.  Possibly somewhere outside of Europe still makes and sells them, but I used to buy the from Hong Kong anyway.  As I said above, there should be a lot of used receivers on the market, as long as you're happy to have to hunt them out.

• Like 1

Thank you so much I think I'll go for it and take the risk. 

On 1/16/2022 at 3:22 PM, esmuz said:

What flysky is it ? I’ve heard the range complaint about fly sky before but then others have no problems with them 

On 1/18/2022 at 1:42 AM, rwordenjr said:

What flysky is it ? I’ve heard the range complaint about fly sky before but then others have no problems with them 

FS-GT2B , with two different receivers, anything beyond 20mts starts doing weird things.. Maybe it's my transmitter, who knows.. 

Odd. I use GT2E radios for all but one of my buggies, and all have worked flawlessly for as far a range as I can drive and still see.

My other radio is a Spektrum DX3C, I think. It also works flawlessly, but I have had a receiver go south on me. More features than the GT2E, however. 

It's probably my transmitter then..  Or maybe I am doing something wrong with the receivers.. Do you guys put them opposite from motor and esc? I don't. And regarding antenna, I fold it several times and put it inside a piece of thermal wrapping tube. I do this on both my Flysky and Kyosho, the Kyosho radio works perfectly, FLysky both receivers, no more than 25m. 

If you can keep the receiver away from motor, great.

Do not bundle up your antenna.  put it in a tube and get it outside of the body.  If it's a 2.4 system, the exposed part of the antenna should not be covered by the antenna tube.

• Like 1

Update: 

Got the DX3C and I love it, feels great, quick and the best of all the interface is sooo easy compared to any other radio I had. 

• Like 2

Just in case, you are keeping up the antenna?   

I drive Dancing Rider indoors. I developed a habit of not raising the antenna. When I took something outside, it didn't go far.  It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong.  That thing hides too well in my opinion. Also most other RTR radios have no antenna to raise.  

7amSZ0y.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

Just in case, you are keeping up the antenna?   

I drive Dancing Rider indoors. I developed a habit of not raising the antenna. When I took something outside, it didn't go far.  It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong.  That thing hides too well in my opinion. Also most other RTR radios have no antenna to raise.  

7amSZ0y.jpg

My radio does not have a foldable antenna, but thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, esmuz said:

Update: 

Got the DX3C and I love it, feels great, quick and the best of all the interface is sooo easy compared to any other radio I had. 

It's a good radio. Enjoy it!  

I remember reading somewhere about some firmware update Spektrum did on the DX3C and DX4S where earlier receivers no longer worked, so if you are ever in the market for used receivers, I'd look into that.  My DX4S is the pre-firmware updated version so it works with their older receivers too.  

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

It's a good radio. Enjoy it!  

I remember reading somewhere about some firmware update Spektrum did on the DX3C and DX4S where earlier receivers no longer worked, so if you are ever in the market for used receivers, I'd look into that.  My DX4S is the pre-firmware updated version so it works with their older receivers too.  

Thanks I'll check!