Sign in to follow this  
Thomas74

Wild Willy’s M38 - sales price

23 minutes ago, simensays said:

Although it looks cool, those are some very expensive plaque holders :D Still, i'm kind of bummed to see them like that and not on a WW (as a result of the parts didn't work for you), but hey...

It's absolutely no problem.  I actually like how that plaque turned out.    It's a nice touch with the star!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, simensays said:

Haha, that's true :)

I will look into this, but I'm currently finishing up a grad degree in a foreign country, so a bit swamped in work. There is less than >0.1mm (>0.00393701 inch) discrepancy between the original and my part (from mounting point to center of the of the trailing arm pivot, which dictates the position of the rear axle/gearbox assembly), so I can't see how the issue can be this. I will look into it further, until then only Willy iine and myself own a set worldwide :D

The price of metal printing is stupid high, but in theory I do not have any issues with opening up the part in other metal variants - but I simply can't afford testing them all out, and there might be some minute differences creating issues with tolerances. I don't believe this to be an issue for the arm stay, but still worth mentioning.

Hi Simen

I am happy to be a guinea pig for a set.

what metal option do you think can work… something strong and ideally silver?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, njmlondon said:

I am happy to be a guinea pig for a set.

what metal option do you think can work… something strong and ideally silver?

Don't get me wrong, all the metal options Shapeways offers will probably work great - I just like to do a test print of evreything before I make a part available for others. In this case it is no problem aa a silver in the same material is available. I'll do a test print first anyway as I'd like a set for my Canvas Top Wild Willy :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, simensays said:

Haha, that's true :)

I will look into this, but I'm currently finishing up a grad degree in a foreign country, so a bit swamped in work. There is less than >0.1mm (>0.00393701 inch) discrepancy between the original and my part (from mounting point to center of the of the trailing arm pivot, which dictates the position of the rear axle/gearbox assembly), so I can't see how the issue can be this. I will look into it further, until then only Willy iine and myself own a set worldwide :D

The price of metal printing is stupid high, but in theory I do not have any issues with opening up the part in other metal variants - but I simply can't afford testing them all out, and there might be some minute differences creating issues with tolerances. I don't believe this to be an issue for the arm stay, but still worth mentioning.

Keep us up to speed on here and I will order a set once you are happy.

As a matter of interest, what is the metal? 

@njmlondon

A little off topic, but when I made these skid plates for my M38, I used 3003 H14 aluminum in 0.080" thickness.  I believe 3003 is what Tamiya uses on the motor plates and probably the arm stays. 

I bought a sheet from Amazon.  They are relatively easy to cut and file/shape.  

IMG_Jun252021at113617AM.jpg.2f2448d22d136ba84be4bb96ce660b1a.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, njmlondon said:

As a matter of interest, what is the metal? 

Shapeways have made a lot of adjustment in their material options - and pricing - since I last printed any metal parts. They offer an assortment of metal material, but most are not even feasible due to price. Check out their materials here: https://www.shapeways.com/materials.

Nickle plated steel is the only one that offers a smooth silvery finish now. It is still expensive, and the price they give me for printing the arm stays is €45.95. I would not buy them, but rather pick up a set of the original ones on eBay. As mentioned many times before, I design these parts mainly for my own needs, and I can't justify the prices on SW.

arm_stays.jpg

@simensays Well, I tell myself gotta pay to play.  I'm fine with it.  

I mean if this was just an ordinary car I'd probably think twice (I usually don't buy any fancy colorful hopups on my modern chassis if you'd noticed), but this is a M38.. special cars get special treatment.   :D

• Like 1

I have only just started looking for them on ebay so may give it a month or two.

It is good to know they are there though.

£45 is a lot but what always gets me is the postage and customs that I invariably get stung with from Shapeways.

I’ll come back to you in a month or two if that is OK. As Willy iine says, this is a special car so I may have no option!!!

• Like 2

BTW, if anyone is interested, there is an M38 on auction at eBay (search "Vintage 80's RC Tamiya Wild Willy M38 Jeep for Parts or Restore") going at $162.50 right now.  The wheels alone is worth $100 looking at the condition.

If I was in the market, I'd auto-bid up to $650 to give an idea how much I'd pay for it.  GL to anyone that might be considering it.  

EDIT:  This appears to be nice too.. search  "Vintage Tamiya Wild Willy M38 LWB w/ MSC) $450 + $22 shipping is a bargain for this one.

11 hours ago, Willy iine said:

BTW, if anyone is interested, there is an M38 on auction at eBay (search "Vintage 80's RC Tamiya Wild Willy M38 Jeep for Parts or Restore") going at $162.50 right now.

I took a swing at that, but got outbid as I was in bed when the auction ended.

Two LWB versions on eBay Germany, both with buy it now prices. One is 175€ the other is 202€. No idea how good they are as i haven't got the faintest clue about the Willys.

Big fan of the original Willys. Back when the snow wasn’t too deep for vintage Willys 

nl0bC6h.jpg

now the snow is so deep nothing is getting thru without 4WD. And even most are struggling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperChamp82 said:

@Willy iine yes - also a Wild Wendy #3 this end 

Pic below - Matt is a genius 👍

00EE5307-8641-4983-8E04-C24FD8D25420.jpeg

Awesome!!!   Congrats.   :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

@Willy iine yes - also a Wild Wendy #3 this end 

Pic below - Matt is a genius 👍

00EE5307-8641-4983-8E04-C24FD8D25420.jpeg

That’s hot!!  Where do I get one?