Sign in to follow this  
OnTheTrail

TS on polycarbonate body?

Can't believe I did this but I grabbed a can of flat clear to lightly spray on the tape line of a polycarbonate body.   The technique works well (clear fills the paint gaps where you may have had bleed through).   It turns out the can of paint I grabbed was TS.  :angry:  It's a thin coat but what are my chances of the final coat of paint sticking well?

The Final Coat doesn?t matter, it is the first Coat that must be a Poly Carbonat Spray Paint.

The TS Paint maybe won`t stickt to the Body, but the next coats will stick to the first coat, so they probabla will flake of on that Spot.

I saw people that spay Polaycarbonat Spray as first Coat and back that off with TS Paint. I´m not shure, but it seems that this work fairly well. Iwouldn`t recomend it.

This had been asked a million times already and you will get all kinds of answers. There are people who said it falls off on the first run, there are some who said they have no problems whatsoever. Then there are some who will spray PS over or under the TS and say it works perfectly fine. 

What I am trying to say is, TS on PC is not the way the product is supposed to be used. Can it work or not really depends on too many factors to list, along with all the possible combinations of the conditions it is used it. What may work for someone may or may not work for you. Kind of a "at your own risk" heath warning.

Now with that out of the way, here is my suggestion, carry on as normal. Spray whatever color you were originally masking for. BEFORE lifting the tape, use a knife to score (lightly cut) along the edge. This is to prevent the tape from lifting the entire TS paint with it. Continue painting the rest of the body. Finally back it with your finishing coat, or if no backing, with PS clear, making sure you do the areas where the TS paint is thicker.

From recent, painful, experience I can say that the TS paint I accidentally used on my GF01 cracked in lots of places and flaked off a bit the first time the car was driven. 

When I tested TS on a scrap piece of polycarbonate, the paint was able to take quite a bit of bending before it gave out.. so you might be okay especially if driven gently or without crashing.  

• Like 1

PS backing TS doesn’t work in isolation - the TS still cracks underneath + the PS just holds the crazy paving in place … making clean up even worse 🙄

PS clear before and after TS can work depending on the shell but as @alvinlwh says it’s still a bit of a punt 

It’s been fine for me on largely rounded shells that evenly disperse body pressure in use - Touring cars etc - but still line cracked with more angular designs - old VW Golf or Renault 5 Turbo etc 

If you can’t find the exact Tamiya PS colour you want there are other (arguably better) non-Tamiya paints in pretty much any shade provided you’re happy air brushing vs rattle can ?  

2 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

If you can’t find the exact Tamiya PS colour you want there are other (arguably better) non-Tamiya paints in pretty much any shade provided you’re happy air brushing vs rattle can ?  

Hand brush is another option. Vallejo, for example, are quite good for hand brushing with the added benefit of easy color mix for that custom color.