Collin

Tamiya fails...

I wonder if they knew there is enough AW grease for two sets in one pot so kindly sent you some thread lock instead 😉

• Like 1

That is 5* to me, you need both to build universals and now you can pick AW grease or thread lock to go with them.

• Like 1

Win-win situation ^_^

I wish Tamico would do this favor to me some time. I have anti-wear-grease for a lifetime, but my threadlock is from 2009.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If I saw that packaging in the USA, I’d think those are both fakes… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

This is obviously an error from the distributor's or shop's side and not Tamiya. The unoriginal paper headers reveal that.

I did knew that distributors do their packing since we have spares in different labeled bags. Also i think I know the one sticker which comes from Tamiya storage, telling parts number and pieces, if you do special order direct in Japan.

But I did not knew that such complex items like CVDs are also packed from local distributors. Is is the same with damper kits? How far do Tamyia pre-pack items and how much is done by locals?

3 hours ago, svenb said:

I wonder if they knew there is enough AW grease for two sets in one pot so kindly sent you some thread lock instead 😉

Two?? 22 more like 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collin said:

I did knew that distributors do their packing since we have spares in different labeled bags. Also i think I know the one sticker which comes from Tamiya storage, telling parts number and pieces, if you do special order direct in Japan.

But I did not knew that such complex items like CVDs are also packed from local distributors. Is is the same with damper kits? How far do Tamyia pre-pack items and how much is done by locals?

Sometimes I have the impression, that Tamiya Germany or Seidel have huge box with parts and they just grab and bag them if someone orders them (like the blue Dyna Blaster shockbodies).

17 hours ago, Collin said:

The reason for this phenomenon's existence is that Tamiya distinguishes between regular hop-up / spare parts (5-digit item number) and "bulk" parts (8-digit item number (sometimes simplified with 7 digits)).

When the distributors order 5-digit hop-up / spare parts from Tamiya, they always receive the parts readily packed by Tamiya. 

When the distributors order 8-digit bulk parts, they are delivered as loose parts and/or in simple plastic bags without paper headers (but with barcode/QR-code). E.g.; a distributor orders 10 pcs. of a certain bulk part => Tamiya delivers each bulk part either without single item packaging or each in a plastic bag, and the 10 parts (with or without each a plastic bag) in one common larger plastic bag.  The distributor can sell them as bulk parts to the shops or combine combinations of bulk parts to create a number of parts identical to what can be found in a set of 5-digit parts.  Similarly, the shops can decide if they sell the bulk parts to the customers or combine them to create 5-digit parts. Also, distributors and shops sometimes split complete kits and thereby create combinations of parts that are identical to what can be found in 8-digit bulk parts and 5-digit hop-up / spare parts.

In case of the parts in the photo (# 53791), the distributor or the shop has clearly "created" 53791 by taking loose parts from a car kit or by combining 8-digit bulk parts. The motivation for doing so can be that:

- the distributor is sold out of the real 53791 and lead time from Tamiya is too long to wait

- combining bulk parts or parts from kits in some cases is cheaper for the distributor and/or the shop than buying the actual 5-digit part

- the real 5-digit part is discontinued.

- the distributor or shop has surplus car kits or bulk parts.  

As for the unoriginal paper headers, I have experienced that the German distributor has included them loose with deliveries for the shop to use them whichever way they want, but of course the (German) distributor also uses these paper headers for their own labelling of bulk parts and parts from cannibalized car kits.

The reason why I know this is that I used to participate in these activities for many years myself both at a Tamiya distributor and in a friend's Tamiya shop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Probably explains back quite a few years I bought the re-release sand scorcher body parts set in the brown box and in the box was a set of rough rider/buggy champ decals aswell as the sand scorcher decals with that ersatzteile on the card on top of the bag!

3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

The reason ...

Thank you very much for this explaination. This was maybe the most helpfull posting to understand Tamiya parts IDs someone could give. Highly appreciated.