OnTheTrail

How many 4-way box wrenches have you accumulated?

Just thinking about this last night while digging through my RC tools.   Just curious how many of the standard R/C 4-way wrenches you folks have accumulated over the years.    I'm a newbie so I've only got about a dozen.   I'm sure one of them is from my 30+ year old Blackfoot.   I'm also going to guess some of you have a bucket of these.   LOL

RC 4 way.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahah that's a good one! :lol:

I don't have that many kits that I bought brand new -at least not so far- so I reckon I only have 5 of them.

@OnTheTrail  You call yourself a newbie and already have over a dozen..  scary to think how many you would have when you consider yourself master RC-man.  :lol:

I have a few.. I always wonder what to do with them and have it stored away in a bin and just use it as weight for various projects... like I have 3 of them in my paint brush holder I made. :D

IMG_Dec202021at65500PM.jpg.cb5d441064f91f0493d7315fa0dced52.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've got loads of cross type , I've also got a double ended 4 /2 ( not a cross shape) with a hole through the middle for a toggle bar and I also Marui , HPI ( and Kyosho I think ) . Can't have enough tools I think

Handyman Cartoon Tools Caretaker Construction Man Handyman cartoon property caretaker construction man multitasking with lots of arms holding tools Craftsperson stock vector

• Haha 2

Yeah, I have an HPI one too.  Those are cool because it has a ball end cup, very useful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@OnTheTrail  You call yourself a newbie and already have over a dozen..  scary to think how many you would have when you consider yourself master RC-man.  :lol:

I have a few.. I always wonder what to do with them and have it stored away in a bin and just use it as weight for various projects... like I have 3 of them in my paint holder I made. :D

I've got that HCT on my shelf with a ton of small scale cars  - I love to collect these little guys

• Like 1

Just counting the number of Tamiya I have and I can work that out. 1 x Lunchbox, 1 x TT-01, 1 x M-05Ra, 2 x SW-01s, 1 x SU-01, 1 x DT-02 and 1 x M-06. But they do not come with the SW-01s or SU-01, so final answer is 5.

A different question, I wanted to switch to more "professional" tools but 7mm socket will not fit some of the deeper wheels as their walls are too thick. Are there any thinner sockets out there?

Good thread! As it stands as of today I have 21 in my tool box I would like to know what was the first kit to have them?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I've got that HCT on my shelf with a ton of small scale cars  - I love to collect these little guys

Cool.  I got a bit jelly when @Re-Bugged showed me his Wild Mickey.   :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, moffman said:

Good thread! As it stands as of today I have 21 in my tool box I would like to know what was the first kit to have them?

Nice.

May not be fair because I was not the original purchaser, but one of them was from a 1981 58035 M38 Wild Willy SWB version I bought used... and restored (the car, not the wrench.. lol) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I have a few.. I always wonder what to do with them and have it stored away in a bin and just use it as weight for various projects... like I have 3 of them in my paint brush holder I made. :D

Cool brush holder !! - I've just got some expanded nylon block to stuff my brushes in - it works though

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Just counting the number of Tamiya I have and I can work that out. 1 x Lunchbox, 1 x TT-01, 1 x M-05Ra, 2 x SW-01s, 1 x SU-01, 1 x DT-02 and 1 x M-06. But they do not come with the SW-01s or SU-01, so final answer is 5.

A different question, I wanted to switch to more "professional" tools but 7mm socket will not fit some of the deeper wheels as their walls are too thick. Are there any thinner sockets out there?

I use a wheel 'driver' like a screwdriver but with a socket on the end

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Cool brush holder !! - I've just got some expanded nylon block to stuff my brushes in - it works though

Thanks.  I was originally using spent spray can caps, but they're too light and the bottom was open so decided to make one a tad taller out of styrene and added the weights inside.   I mean with your talent, you can easily make something like this, I believe.  :D  We've seen your factory finish motor covers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KEV THE REV said:

I use a wheel 'driver' like a screwdriver but with a socket on the end

Fixed? I am hoping to use one that can be swapped out for other bits so that one tool (handle) can do it all.

• Like 1

I mean with your talent, you can easily make something like this, I believe.  :D  We've seen your factory finish motor covers.

You're too kind  :wub:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Fixed? I am hoping to use one that can be swapped out for other bits so that one tool (handle) can do it all.

I also use a 1/4" drive socket set with std. and long reach sockets that go down to the smallest sizes to work on just about anything on RC

Just now, KEV THE REV said:

I also use a 1/4" drive socket set with std. and long reach sockets that go down to the smallest sizes to work on just about anything on RC

I need to look somemore, mine will not fit in the deeper wheels.

For me, when the tools get this small, I prefer to used fixed neck tools as the play is just too much even on my expensive ratchets and drivers.

• Like 1

Oh, man. A lot. I find them in weird places all over the house, too, because they happened to fit (or fit close enough) some other thing I was fixing.

I have a couple of super-sized ones from Kyosho nitro kits from the '90s that are super useful: they're 5.5, 7, 8, and 10mm.

I have about 20 but perhaps a bigger question is how many nylon/brass bushes do you have and even better what clever hacks have you done to use them. I managed to use half of one to make the base of an air brake handle on my Dynamog!!!!

Just two, both vintage originals. The one that came in the box of junk with my Frog, which by now is nearly rounded out on most ends, and one in better condition that came with either my Grasshopper or Hornet (most likely the Hornet as that kit was newer and more complete).

For most wheels I use a socket bit in a 1/4" hex driver like @KEV THE REV, but I'm still looking for a socket with thinner walls that will fit the deeper wheels like @alvinlwh mentioned.

12 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I have about 20 but perhaps a bigger question is how many nylon/brass bushes do you have and even better what clever hacks have you done to use them. I managed to use half of one to make the base of an air brake handle on my Dynamog!!!!

When we re-tiled our kitchen backsplash, I needed something to space out the electrical sockets away from the wall a bit so they were even with the face of the tile. I found that two 5x11mm bushings under each screw were the perfect spacers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markbt73 said:

When we re-tiled our kitchen backsplash, I needed something to space out the electrical sockets away from the wall a bit so they were even with the face of the tile. I found that two 5x11mm bushings under each screw were the perfect spacers.

Now, if OP was to ask how many bushings we accumulated, that will take a bit of working out... 

12 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Now, if OP was to ask how many bushings we accumulated, that will take a bit of working out... 

Easy if you use the little plastic sleeves/cylinders the bearings came in to store the bushings you took out. 10 bearings a sleeve/10 bushings a sleeve :D