OnTheTrail

How many 4-way box wrenches have you accumulated?

9 hours ago, moffman said:

Then I'm thinking the ranger must of had one because they are in the same release date and the box wrench was around a lot longer than I thought it was........if you can learn something new every day it keeps the interest alive👍

My original Sand Scorcher had one and that was the same time as the Ranger so I would say yes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Looks like the cross wrench came in with the Tornado 58032 kit , I can't find the Brabham 58031 manual to check if it was earlier , but some kits previously to the 58032 had double ended box wrenches with the centre toggle hole , and others like the Scorcher had a 3 position flat spanner which is one tool I use a lot !!

The wheel nut driver I use measures 10.90mm O/D and the Tamiya box is 9.95mm O/D

20220120_000658.jpg

Have you got a picture of the Scorcher one? I thought mine came with a 4 way box but maybe I’m wrong!!!

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Have you got a picture of the Scorcher one? I thought mine came with a 4 way box but maybe I’m wrong!!!

Yes . I also found my Marui cross wrench . The Scorcher page 2 shows the spanner , but here is a pic of mine as well . Marui wrench on the left , Tamiya wrench in the middle and spanner

20220120_095751.jpg

14 hours ago, Juggular said:

Wouldn't it be cool if you could melt them and make a tankard out of them?

SAoLuVR.jpg

Nice detail that there are two wrench symbols on the tankard. 

• Haha 1

Early wrench with allen keys from my Sand Rover. The large allen key can be used as leverage by inserting it into the hole as a toggle 

20220120_110946.jpg

• Like 3

With exception of a couple I have in my RC toolbox and some other places, these are the 4-way box wrenches that have piled up from kits since I emigrated in 2000.

So, 151 pcs. the last 22 years. I built more Tamiya RC kits in the 23 years before that, but didn't keep more wrenches than I actually needed.

IMG_3321.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Yes . I also found my Marui cross wrench . The Scorcher page 2 shows the spanner , but here is a pic of mine as well . Marui wrench on the left , Tamiya wrench in the middle and spanner

20220120_095751.jpg

I think I’ve got that wrench somewhere!!!

3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

.....So, 151 pcs. .... but didn't keep more wrenches than I actually needed....

LOL!

On 1/19/2022 at 6:13 PM, alvinlwh said:

Just counting the number of Tamiya I have and I can work that out. 1 x Lunchbox, 1 x TT-01, 1 x M-05Ra, 2 x SW-01s, 1 x SU-01, 1 x DT-02 and 1 x M-06. But they do not come with the SW-01s or SU-01, so final answer is 5.

A different question, I wanted to switch to more "professional" tools but 7mm socket will not fit some of the deeper wheels as their walls are too thick. Are there any thinner sockets out there?

In my take along toolbag from dynamite is a nice long thin walled 7mm hex wrench. It's not thicker than the Tamiya 4 way wrench. I found about ten of those with a quick look around, must have around 15 in total + 2 from Kyosho + 1 from MST + 1 WLToys.

20220121_220944.jpg

20220121_221103.jpg

20220121_220910.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:42 AM, Mokei Kagaku said:

With exception of a couple I have in my RC toolbox and some other places, these are the 4-way box wrenches that have piled up from kits since I emigrated in 2000.

So, 151 pcs. the last 22 years. I built more Tamiya RC kits in the 23 years before that, but didn't keep more wrenches than I actually needed.

IMG_3321.jpg

This looks like a mass grave!!  

I must have about 20 of them (including 2 Kyosho) but unbelievably I couldn't find one when racing this weekend.  I wore out the 5.5mm on one which was the sign I needed a 5.5mm driver, but this weekend that was too long and I actually needed the cross wrench.  Must all be lost at home.

Any “vintage” ones with Tamiya lettering, get kept. The rest (minus a couple here and there) get donated to my LHS, he gives them out to any customer who could use them

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 10:10 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Early wrench with allen keys from my Sand Rover. The large allen key can be used as leverage by inserting it into the hole as a toggle 

20220120_110946.jpg

I've got the same wrench, also from a 1983 Sand Rover. The allen keys have joined my general allen key collection. Not many of those get used since I bought some nice MIP ones.

• Like 1