Drzee

Hi (oldskool) newbie here,needs help with lunchbox 😁

Hi,I've just purchased a Xsa lunchbox and would like some advice on what transmitter ect is good. I don't mind spending so please advise me on good all round gear I should look at. Also I've ordered oil filled ally suspension and want to upgrade the motor at some point for more power, what motors would you say to look at? Thanks so much in advance if anyone takes time to help. All the best.

A Tamiya sport tuned motor is a good upgrade… gives a boost boost in performance compared to the standard motor and supported by any decent esc.

not sure on the transmitter side as depends on budget and if you like stick or wheel type ones.

Thanks I will look at them,on the transmitter I don't mind spending as long it's something that's gonna work 100% perfectly,I don't want to buy cheap then have to buy twice. I don't mind stick or wheel I will consider both. Cheers

31 minutes ago, Drzee said:

Thanks I will look at them,on the transmitter I don't mind spending as long it's something that's gonna work 100% perfectly,I don't want to buy cheap then have to buy twice. I don't mind stick or wheel I will consider both. Cheers

You know that is a really broad range and will be difficult to give advice based on that. For example, the Flysky stuff often recommended will be consider budget gear, but you mentioned you don't mind to spend, so that is probably out of consideration.

41 minutes ago, Drzee said:

My only suggestion is try to buy a system with multiple memory slots for adding more models. We all say only one R/C will do, but then it grows to two, three.....or 20 by next Christmas.

• Like 2

Obviously full ball bearing! Then a faster motor can happen the gearbox in the lunchbox is pretty bullet proof it can handle brushless! But the lunchbox is pretty much a little brick the weak point is the chrome body mounts!

• Like 1

It's a tall chassis, so it's got a limit to how fast it could go.Β Β 

Ball bearings first.Β I don't think built models come with bearings.Β  The rule of thumb is 10% faster top speed, 10% faster acceleration, 10% longer lasting battery, just by installing bearings.Β  It could be 15%Β if there are more bearings, but the Lunchbox only uses like 11, I think.Β Β 

For about $50, Flysky GT3C is a cheap and effective computerized radio.Β Β If you race, you can get a better one for more money.Β  But you won't feel muchΒ improvement on Lunchbox.Β So I would recommend GT3C as an entry radio. If you want to upgrade, you can do it later.Β  For about $80, you can get Radiolink RC6GS. Most people don't need 6 channels, but it usesΒ a receiver that's got a gyro in it.Β Β 

Β 

Thanks I don't mind spending up to Β£100 but I like the look of the gt3c and sounds like it will do what I ever ask of it. Bearings are already on order πŸ‘πŸ» what about battery,should I go lipo? 🀯 I had a lunchbox in the early 90's things have changed ALOT since then 🀣

• Like 1

I'd recommend the Flysky GT3C as well. Nimh batteries are perfectly acceptable, and avoid the hassle of the possibly dangerous nature of Lipos. Honestly the Lunchbox is not really a high-speed high-performance vehicle so Lipo is not really worth the hassle.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Drzee said:

Thanks I don't mind spending up to Β£100 but I like the look of the gt3c and sounds like it will do what I ever ask of it. Bearings are already on order πŸ‘πŸ» what about battery,should I go lipo? 🀯 I had a lunchbox in the early 90's things have changed ALOT since then 🀣

If you don't mind spending more for the same, get the Absima CR3P. It is exactly the same as the GT3C inside, but looks and feels better outside and can even use Flysky RXs.

What I found with the Lunchbox is, if NiMh, Sports Tuned motor, if Lipo with ST, it just flips a lot. In fact, I had downgraded mine to standard silver can to run with lipo. As @JuggularΒ had said, it is a tall (and unstable) chassis, too fast is bad for it unless you like badly scratched body and broken mounts @moffmanΒ mentioned.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Drzee said:

what about battery,should I go lipo? 🀯 I had a lunchbox in the early 90's things have changed ALOT since then 🀣

When I got back into the hobby in 2000, I discovered the magic ofΒ ESC!Β 

Nowadays, one radioΒ (including Flysky GT3C), controls 10 cars!Β  All you have to do is spend $10 per car for a receiver.Β  You don't need to collect transmitters like some kind of trophies. That's so 90s...

UU7IdXs.jpg

As far as LiPo is concerned, there is a reason why a lot of people start with NiMH.Β 

LiPo has a bit of a kick, as it has more voltage and more amp.Β  But if you want the adventure, you can start with a proper charger like iMax B6, its clones or any other multi-battery charger.Β  AC version would be convenient, if you don't need to use it in the field.Β Β They all doΒ decent job, so you don't have to stick toΒ any one kind.Β  Once you have a charger, you have to find the right size battery.Β  LiPos come in many different shapes and sizes.Β  Even if length, width and depth is correct, sometimes old chassis demand rounded corners, etc.Β  Then the right connector.Β Tamiya connectorΒ limit the current to about 1-2A. Most people use Deans, or XT60 (60A). I learned to solder because of RC.Β 60w soldering irons cost only $15Β these days.Β  Then you have to worry about low voltage. You can either get a low voltage alarm or use the ESC that cut off automatically.Β If the LiPo goes below 3v per cell, (or if it's overcharged) it's damaged or catch fire.Β  So you need to get a fireproof bag too.Β  Β Β 

Because messing with all that is a bit of a headache, it's simpler going with NiMH for now.Β  That is the reason why Tamiya isn't selling LiPo batteries.Β  You can take time and do one thing at a time, like getting a charger, choosing a connector, getting a solder, etc.Β Β 

Β 

Also another thing regarding lipo, many had reported (and I experience it myself) they many of the "made for Tamiya" lipos will not fit in the battery compartment of a Lunchbox.Β