junkmunki

Any love for the TamTech models?

Back in the day when i got into RC models, i always thought the TamTech models were a lesser model than the 1/12 or 1/10 kits.

Now i concentrate more on the collecting side of the hobby, i have started to appreciate the compact and neat style of them.

The other factor, is where some of the early nib kits are now very expensive, i have seen nib TamTech kits selling for very little. I also collect original body sets, and the same applies, some of the early body sets are in the hundreds, but a nib TamTech body set can be as low as £25.

Am i alone in my appreciation of these models, or are there other fans out there?

J

• Like 1

I've been tempted by them. The box presentation is nice, with the transmitter in a blister pack on one side and the car in a separate box on the other side. But the few times I've tried to get interested in any mini/micro models, they've just failed to hold my attention. But maybe as a collector's item...?

But the cars themselves are typical Tamiya, and while they're simpler than most 1/10-1/12 cars, I wouldn't call them "lesser." If they interest you, go for it!

The car that fits in the palm of your hand.

If I had the money I would love to have all of the except the Formula 1 cars.

Having said that, I do have...

20220121-002105.jpg

20220121-002123.jpg

• Like 3

I actually love the Tamtech F1 cars. They look so scale model looking it's crazy. Far better than Kyoshos mini Z F1 series imo. Pity they never re released the series with more modern GT and F1 cars 😕

James.

I had those 1:24 scale (?) Tamtech (I think mine was a Testarossa)  back in the late 80's?   It was very cool.  These days for small scale I have a few Mini-Z's.. not F1 cars though.

I also had a F40 Tamtech (1:12? 1:14?) mid-1990's.  It was super basic and a toy-grade RC car, but I still enjoyed it.  I think I still have the radio somewhere.. 

Wait a minute.. I had that F1 Tamtech too..!  LOL :lol:    I remember because I used the electronics when HPI released their MicroRS4.  

• Haha 1

Spot on @mongoose1983 - @Shodog also had a superb set of Porsche / Ferrari

I guess the first point is Tamtech evolved  - original, next iteration then later TamtechGear (TTG) 

Only the first two have miniature appeal - with TTG being an odd 1/12 reboot 

Personally I love the early / mid cars - they’re a challenge to build well, need care to hop up + feel like a slot cars to drive … until they’re obviously not second corner 😂

The only TTG I have is the Black Porsche GT01 - and I haven’t got round to building it yet but reviews suggest it’s also great fun !

My only gripe with TamTech / TTG is they’re ludicrously unpopular - so Tamiya abandoned all series fairly quickly

So, if you want to enjoy them, it’s generally a rich man’s game 🙄

Had one about the time they were new.  It was a joy to drive, particularly the Porsche with a rear motor.  I sent a photo to TamiyaUSA and won Reader’s Rides one month.  The prize was pink cable ties and some giant Tamiya decals that Mongoose now owns.

0563F3E9-6782-4747-B76F-F40185274743.jpeg

• Like 6

There seems to be a common thread here, in as much as the F1 cars are the least popular of the lot.

I find this with Tamiya in general. A lot of my collection is on road, but i think i must be in the minority.

Looking at the picture of Suprachrgd82's Porsche, it is closer to the larger kits in construction, so i'm gussing that it is a later TamTech gear?

Does anyone know how many versions of the original TamTech there was?

J

Well unless I’m thinking about a completely different series I always wanted the Porsche 962 & still do. When they came out there was one on the counter at my LHS in Rothmans livery. The guy let me run it in the shop & I really wanted one but couldn’t justify the cost because it wasn’t a ‘proper’ rc car. Same as now tbh unless I see a cheap one. 

Love the Tamtech F1 cars, 1/14 scale (odd) especially the mclaren mp4/6, I have the 1/10 original too, 58104.

its the Senna connection for me, big fan.

Just had a quick search through my photographs, haven’t got one picture 🤣😂

Does anyone know if the original Tamtech series was released in 2 versions ?

One with RC / battery / charger - the other without ? 

I’ve seen a few kits crop up recently that look legitimate ‘car only’ versions when I thought all vintage Tamtech came RTR ?

@Mokei Kagaku may well know instantly 👍

Oi,

Eu tenho um problema. Comprei um Tamtech F1 já começou a montar.

Parecia que estava completo, mas... falta o rack que liga o servo à direção.

Alguém tem alguma ideia de como posso DIY.

Muito obrigado

I always wanted one back in the day but they were like hen's teeth.

Seems odd they've not brought them back given the rise of smaller RC recently.  Presumably some of that is the need for quite specific electrics.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:25 AM, SuperChamp82 said:

Does anyone know if the original Tamtech series was released in 2 versions ?

One with RC / battery / charger - the other without ? 

I’ve seen a few kits crop up recently that look legitimate ‘car only’ versions when I thought all vintage Tamtech came RTR ?

@Mokei Kagaku may well know instantly 👍

Yes, two versions of each, but initially all in the same 4-digit number series. When Tamiya converted to the 5-digit number series in 1987-1988, Car Only kits were split from the Complete Kits.

The Complete kits came with car, RC and battery. For the domestic market a mains charger was included too. Mains charger may have been included in some export markets too.

None of the old Tamtechs (pre TamTech-Gear) came RTR from Tamiya, except some promotional models for specific clients. Also, it existed at least one RTR Tamtech with a very crude NASCAR resin body. This was based on a standard kit from Tamiya, with all modifications done independently of Tamiya.

image.png.bc5ad6b68ae9c5f38748714216a290c8.png 

image.png.ca97b7b49df6dd61e214fc9b869a7bfe.png

• Like 2

There is also a Tamtech Volvo that was produced (Touring car era).

I think it was only available through Volvo dealers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, qatmix said:

There is also a Tamtech Volvo that was produced (Touring car era).

I think it was only available through Volvo dealers.

Yes, two in fact. Sedan and Estate, both in touring car liveries.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:05 AM, kataplaz said:

1844636225_TamtechServo.thumb.jpg.55daf45dd5bc439f30c3eb298640d692.jpg

Hello 

no one to help please!!
I need pinion gear for servo or any idea.

Thanks

The tamtech cars had the extra benefit of being able to accept some of Tamiyas 1/24 scale glue together static car bodies.I recall a Tamiya guide book article showing how to make your own body and also suggestions on how to fit a delivery van body from a glue together kit too.I always thought it would have been cool to see if you could race tamtechs on an unpowered scalextric track but I started the Tamiya hobby with a grasshopper2 so the tamtechs had been and gone by that point. I recently saw that Japan plaza have stocks of the Kawada trip mate (?!) 24 scale roller chassis .very similar to the tamtechs and designed to be adjustable in wheelbase and width to allow non rc bodies to be fitted ( they also have a ball and socket style body mount system that fits under the body so no body posts are visible) nice idea

After looking into those Kawada trip mate m24 chassis kits abit more ( and wondering why they were named trip mate) I found that there can be afew variations to be found.The M24 seems to be the initial kit that can be used in conjuction with 2 different additional configuration sets.

The "R" type set consists of parts to alter an m24 to have the motor before the rear axle and the suspenion spring laying down across the centre , like the group C tamiya chassis.This configuration retains the battery compartment style for tampack type battery fitment.However after seeing some youtube vids on this R type chassis it would seem it results in a wheelbase that , even in its shortest guise, is too long for most 1/24 scale bodies.

Then there is the M24 MID ..available as both a kit roller chassis or add on parts for the standard m24.This version seems to alter the battery compartment middle section of the chassis to accept 4x aaa batteries to power the electronics.The result looks very similar to Kyoshos miniz rwd models.It also seems to be where a different wheel design was introduced.The standard m24 has one piece wheels but the mid version has two elements to the wheel , one part attaches to the axle and one part has the tyre surface and outer face of the wheel.This allows different cosmetics for the design of the wheel and effectively hides the wheel nuts/e clips.It seems like it may be a friction fit as the outer slides over the inner and locates on little toothed drive notches.

I havn't seen much , other than the manual , for the mid version so I don't know if its wheelbase is limited like the "R" type.The manuals can be found on Kawada's site and google translate does a good job on most of it 😃