fristajlo

How to do a white body?

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

IMG_May182021at60509AM.jpg.8068099b8b23ae6b18b20b2a0bac792a.jpg

Please tell us you've done these in red, white and blue, a la Italian Job, and run them down a concrete pipe. 

@fristajlo instead of white, have you considered doing it in another color? I was planning to buy this a while back and while doing research on the car (not chassis), I found out that they do come in other colors. 

59 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Oof that Mini 😍😍👍 is that Brilliant Blue? 

James.

Thanks!  

I honestly can’t remember which color and brand I used as I painted that back in 2014-2015..  but if it was PS, I think it was the LightBlue (PS3)…(?)

49 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Please tell us you've done these in red, white and blue, a la Italian Job, and run them down a concrete pipe. 

I don’t have white, but do have red and green.. B)

IMG_Apr112021at15050PM.thumb.jpg.b2ad677ea65d8f0633b94f14e5ac8fe0.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

That better be British Racing Green or it is wrong. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

That better be British Racing Green or it is wrong. 

It's OK. He can always make another one. There's no way he's got enough of them yet. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

You know .....  you can go off someone real quick !! 🤔😂😂 . Least there built and not NIB I guess 😋

James.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

It's OK. He can always make another one. There's no way he's got enough of them yet. 

Yeap, he is missing a white one. 

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Its British Green and I also have an eggplant green I mixed.  :lol:

Is eggplant green to green what battleship red is to red? 

5 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Is eggplant green to green what battleship red is to red? 

:lol:   My egg plant green I mixed is a dark British Green kind of color.  This is my British Green I mixed.

IMG_Jun162021at82751AM.jpg.c2ad3dfc2a4a3d5c5634ab2b29fd4fc5.jpgIMG_Jun162021at82813AM.jpg.0c23a64eb6adfcccc201b4391cf04fff.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BuggyDad said:

🍆

😉

Yeah, the eggplant green body goes on my M01 which is sporting a red Monte Carlo body right now.  I'll post a picture next time I swap bodies.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

:lol:   My egg plant green I mixed is a dark British Green kind of color.  This is my British Green I mixed.

I love how this thread had gone from white to green to what shade of green. 

Great different points of views.  Read the entire thread.  No full consensus other than backing the bodies.

I have a white body in progress.  Will try 1 can of white + 2 coats of silver and 2 coats of black + permanent marker for body panel gaps. Wish me luck

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 3:40 PM, OoALEJOoO said:

Something that personally makes all shells (of any color) look like something is off is the fact that the thinness of the shell, even with paint, makes light shine through. This makes the car scream cheap, toyish, and just plain off. This is particularly apparent with bodies painted white. Maybe this is what you are referring to.

It has always puzzled me why nobody ever seems to comment about this, and time and time again, all over the internet and in tutorials people recommend painting dark colors first and light colors last with no final black backing. This makes white shells the worst offenders since they get only a single paint color.

I always back all my shells with black at the end. This eliminates any light bleed and gives the shells a nice, solid look with no light bleed-through. I can't stress enough how important this is with white shells.

I normally paint whatever color makes masking easier, then make sure that color is properly backed (usually white for non-metallics) and then back with black at the end. Note that specially for white shells, it is important to paint sufficient thickness in white paint before applying the black, otherwise you might get some dark areas. I've painted several white shells and a full single Tamiya PS-1 White has been sufficient for one shell. Then it takes about 1/3 of a can of PS-5 black to back since you only need to light coat.

An exception perhaps, is for racing cars where you really want to minimize paint since it adds weight.

Another aspect that makes white shells look bad is not doing panel lines. I guess the whiteness of the finish makes the lack of detail more apparent. You don't really need something fancy to do the lines. You can get good results with a 0.5mm black permanent marker and a flexible ruler to lean against to trace straight lines along the body curvature. A flexible ruler can be any strip of material that can bend. Sharper curves are generally small enough that you can do them unaided by hand. If you mess-up, you can always erase with a damp cotton/cloth with alcohol and try again.

Good luck :) 

**Edit** some examples of white cars I've painted:

OpelCalibra-1.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

Celica 3.JPG

2.jpg

1.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

Sorry to sidetrack the topic… I am curious to know, are the panel lines on these done with a 0.5 marker pen? & is that done inside or outside the body? Thanks! 

3 hours ago, J@mes said:

Sorry to sidetrack the topic… I am curious to know, are the panel lines on these done with a 0.5 marker pen? & is that done inside or outside the body? Thanks! 

Outside with a permanent 0.5mm marker. You can practice on the film before you remove it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:34 PM, alvinlwh said:

spacer.png

For my money this looks excellent. and I’m a fan of orange but that darker colour looks really good and more ‘solid’ and less plastic.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, Busdriver said:

As others have said white is bad but yellow that’s in a different league . 

Yes. Creating mass produced, affordable yellow paint (especially spray paint) is very hard due to the complexity of yellow pigments. 

On 1/22/2022 at 4:13 PM, OnTheTrail said:

DC1 bf flat clear.jpg

dc1 after flat clear.jpg

That’s a huge transformation. I’ve finally found some clear coat but haven’t used it yet, I’m thinking if applying it to a GF01 Land Cruiser to get a more period look. 

3 hours ago, GeeWings said:

.. I’ve finally found some clear coat but haven’t used it yet, I’m thinking if applying it to a GF01 Land Cruiser to get a more period look. 

Clear or flat clear?   

8 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Clear or flat clear?   

Flat clear (PS-55). I have been looking for months and finally found one (ONE) can available to buy :blink:

• Like 1

Just now, GeeWings said:

Flat clear (PS-55). I have been looking for months and finally found one (ONE) can available to buy :blink:

You should be good with one can.  Don't take but 2-3 light coats to tone down the sheen.  

Just now, OnTheTrail said:

You should be good with one can.  Don't take but 2-3 light coats to tone down the sheen.  

I'm hoping so! 

Still waiting for more to arrive but all the hobby shops initially said a big shipment of Tamiya paints in early Jan. That doesn't seem to have materialised. I can barely find any colours available at the moment.