Tgrif

NIB Rere Egress

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

I paint mine black but the Tamiya Guide Book inner cover showing the exploded parts layout of the Egress (Tamiya tended to do this for every top-of-the-line vehicle for that particular year) appears to have it painted smoke.

Yeah I smoked my under tray!.........but then for no reason at all I sprayed it black! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah I smoked my under tray!.........but then for no reason at all I sprayed it black! 

Thanks.  I think I’m going to go smoked as well if clear does not sit right.  But for display I probably won’t use the tray at all.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

I did the same thing! Only I had a reason....I'm terrible at spraying Tamiya PS31 smoke! lol

34 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I did the same thing! Only I had a reason....I'm terrible at spraying Tamiya PS31 smoke! lol

smoke colour is not that easy to put on! You can easily get a blotchy finish I tried to do my avante black special smoked and completely messed up so I painted it black!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

I have some Tamiya acrylic smoke.. maybe I should try that and see how bad I am and then wash it off if horrible and not post about it so no-one would know?   :lol:

• Haha 1

@Sgt.Speirs Genius!!  I think I'm going to borrow your idea!  Thanks!!  B)

I made some progress this morning..  I have PS-black so will paint the tray maybe tomorrow. 

IMG_2022-2-13-080718.jpg.952c65947c6aaac6e217e926975f9b33.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 6:26 AM, Willy iine said:

@Tgrif So how far are you on your Egress?

I got the body cut on mine today.  :D  

I was wondering.. do you folks paint the bottom tray black or leave it clear?  

IMG_2022-2-12-105804.jpg.4fbb6e1a740150b472763ed38c625e21.jpg

I masked off the bottom chassis before I put it together and painted around it so I have the carbon chassis visible through the bottom, I got the idea off tamiya legends, or the RC you tube guy from Australia can’t remember which one.

• Thanks 1

Hey I got this far today.  Will make the holes tomorrow for the wing.  Need to let the distilled water dry.  

Then start the chassis later in the week.   

IMG_2022-2-13-161644.jpg.0667fa042aae49b93712758e46b2d5d3.jpg

• Like 3

All finished, what a joy to build, have just put a silvercan in it as at this stage I’m planing to have it as a shelf queen, I’m pretty confident  that’s going to change though, no point having them if you don’t drive them, and have a BZ 23t to go in it. Painted in  SILVER METALLIC ANODIZED ALUMINUM – PS-48 and backed in black… 

73CE7231-071B-49A2-B662-905FBE1CAC2B.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tgrif said:

All finished, what a joy to build, have just put a silvercan in it as at this stage I’m planing to have it as a shelf queen, I’m pretty confident  that’s going to change though, no point having them if you don’t drive them, and have a BZ 23t to go in it. Painted in  SILVER METALLIC ANODIZED ALUMINUM – PS-48 and backed in black… 

Very nice!

Just like you I loved the build process. It was my first ever build and I was constantly impressed with the engineering and the way it came together. I don't think any other kit will quite be able to match it.

• Like 1

What are you folks thoughts on the window decal?  It reminds me of the overly fake looking AeroAvante DF02 / NeoScorcher TT02B I have.. I'm thinking about changing to a matte black automotive tint film to give it a tad more contrast.. (?)  I mean if it's going to be fake why not somethig different from the other decals..

Not sure.. been bothering me since finishing the decals yesterday..

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

What are you folks thoughts on the window decal?

Hate it. Tried it on the first one I did and wasn't happy with fitment/appearance. I felt better seeing the Egress featured in the old Tamiya guidebook wasn't any better. Now I mask off the widows and leave them clear.

3 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Hate it. Tried it on the first one I did and wasn't happy with fitment/appearance. I felt better seeing the Egress featured in the old Tamiya guidebook wasn't any better. Now I mask off the widows and leave them clear.

Yeah, I think I should've used the decal as a mask too.  :lol:    If can find some time later today, I'm going to swap that window decal with matte black tint and tone down that super plastic look high gloss..

Okay, here is my high precision wobbly line I will be following to mask the tray.. :ph34r:

Confidence inspiring .. :lol:

IMG_2022-2-14-163652.jpg.d501f34edd99ed385dc4f83669cc2897.jpg

Edit:  BTW the above is just a joke.. I will be making a clean mask out of those lines.  (making sure people don't get worried I'm ruining my car.. B))

Edited by Willy iine

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

What are you folks thoughts on the window decal?

Clear windows with a driver figure obvs

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Yeah if only I can fit Willy’s big head.. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Yes, I agree with you. It’s a tight fit though, I still need to do some fiddling with mine to position better and hide the cables:

02EB7FF5-1C73-4360-BC08-3B139CABB299.thumb.jpeg.58a79e34725d12d8f75347d376b14422.jpeg 

• Like 1

So I tried official BMW CooperS bonnet stripe vinyl I still had from my 1:1 Cooper-S days.   I cut it a tad oversized and I think this black looks more smoked glass than the Tamiya fake plexiglass looking decal as it is a rich black.

The side windows are Tamiya decal..

What do you folks think?  

IMG_2022-2-15-082446.jpg.d938401bcc1d018fb9fbba94c85b5ad2.jpg

(I also tried the matte tint I had for 1:1 car lamps and it has too much texture so did not look right.. it's the roll on the left of picture). 

Tray is done.  I’m real happy how this turned out.  Thanks again @Sgt.Speirs!

IMG_2022-2-15-115616.jpg.1da2431e3abd15d98a2fe1d784512aac.jpg

Update.. This is how far I got today..

IMG_2022-2-15-171148.jpg.3384c0bcc4709fe3e5fcb3dbe9a0ed4b.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 3

There is a step early on that says to place tape to temporary hold a shaft from slipping out, but there does not seem to be a step telling when to take it off.  I also do not see a part that holds the shaft in place from the outside..  I was on Step23 when I noticed my tape was still on the chassis while installing the front arms..

Am I missing something here (comprehension)?   

IMG_2022-2-16-073340.jpg.cefc3f5d0023760812bb074fc88fd840.jpg

My Egress kit is missing a few screws which I have so no problem, but I am also missing one bushing base (red arrow)..

So going to need to fabricate one out of servo mounts.. :wacko:  What the heck.. misprint on the instructions is bad enough, but missing parts is very Un-Japanese.. 

You can see the various candidates being considered.. I’m not about to open my spare NIB kit just for this.  

IMG_2022-2-16-173401.jpg.3fcee8d5538e86ec70d3cbb048992d97.jpg