OnTheTrail

Tamiya AW grease equivalent?

Having a hard time getting Tamiya AW grease locally.   Anyone know an alternative product that's more readily available?

I'd like to use it in open diffs to stiffen them up for a rally car project.  Is the anti wear you put on automotive brake components the same stuff?

thx.....

Diff putty could be an option. Tamiya do their own but othe manufacturers do similar 

7 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Diff putty could be an option. Tamiya do their own but othe manufacturers do similar 

Does diff putty still allow the diff to function or is it designed to simulate a "locked" diff?

19 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Does diff putty still allow the diff to function or is it designed to simulate a "locked" diff?

It is like a half locked diff I will say. Put it this way, if you have a "stuff" motor, you spin one wheel by hand, the diff will still work. But if you have a "loose" motor, the wheels will turn in the same direction (locked). 

One alternative I had seen suggested is copper grease, someone even claimed that lab test confirms that they are the same as AW grease in another forum. 

1 hour ago, OnTheTrail said:

Depends on how much you use. It can almost lock it or it can be quite free.

You can run it in a bit by holding one wheel and Erving the motor off the ground 

Might not be much help in getting you to a AW grease equivalent but I can tell you that when I was looking for similar I followed a recommendation somewhere and bought some Lucas Oil "Red 'n Tacky" and I don't believe that is equivalent to AW grease. It's thicker than RC transmission grease but only as much as pretty normal grease used for everyday applications like bike maintenance.

• Like 1

I would be careful with automotive stuff. Petroleum based stuff can damage plastic parts.  I hear Red 'n Tacky is lithium based, it might be okay to use, if it's sticky enough for your need.  

I have black diff putty, but I haven't used it on open diffs. Diff bevel gears tend to squish and move the clay around. I only use on closed diffs because I'm afraid that it might fling out and jam somewhere else.  

I use "bad horsie diff lock" on open diffs. (the photo is of a closed diff, though...that much is enough for buggies.)

R7LECD9.jpg

The one on the left was from 2002 or 2003?  It yellowed somewhat, but it's just as tacky.  It's hard to fling, which makes it useful for open diffs.  But I still use sparingly on open diffs. 

If my Wild Willy 2 stands on one rear tire, I can reverse on that one tire and set it right.  You can't do that with regular grease. I don't think you could it with AW either.  It's a US based company. But the price is the problem... $10 is expensive. With shipping, it's like $17. 

For about $7, the other thing I use is 3Racing Ultra High Viscosity Gear Diff oil.  This is also whole lot stickier than AW.  I bought cars with closed diffs since I got it, so I haven't tried this on open diffs.  But if used sparingly, it wouldn't fling either. 

hT2wVwS.jpg

I do use AW grease on diffs, but only on M-chassis.  AW feels perfect for on-road, but too weak for off-road.