njmlondon

I think I have been scammed by a new member… how do I warn other TC members

I recently posted a wanted ad and a TC member got in touch and we did a deal.

I made 2 huge mistakes because I was rushed and not thinking straight.

Firstly he/she is a new member with no showroom or reputation on the forums.

and secondly and more stupidly I agreed to pay with paypal friends and family, so have no comeback via paypal.

I should know better!

The member in question has not replied to numerous messages although I see they have signed in here frequently.

I don’t want other TCers to get scammed so how do I flag a possible scammer??

• Sad 5

If you have been scammed for sure , then contact the mods. and ask about posting the details first . I guess you have paid for item , waited a long time for the item and no show of item , and no comms ?

Sorry to hear this as TC is a great club with great members , but there are bad people out to exploit good people in this world - shame on them

It has not been that long yet but my alarm bells are going off… lot’s of contact during the sale then radio silence even though I know they are logging on.

Combine that with the fact they set the account up 5th Jan and are selling stuff by 10th with no other content in the forums and it all smells fishy to me!

Sorry to hear this. I know this has been a great forum over the years for me, but some people will have no conscience in trying to scam anyone, anywhere. Hopefully it's just a weird situation and maybe they will get in contact and send your item/items. 

Def try contacting moderator / admin. Even if it's just to out your mind at rest.

Really wish you all the best 

James.

Absolutely terrible to be taken here in a forum of what should be trustworthy enthusiasts.  Definitely go to the mods, and heck, pm the person, give them 24 hours to respond and then if you hear nothing, call them out publicly.  Folks like that should be ejected from this forum as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

I agree send them a pm giving 24/48 hours notice. Especially if you see them logged on during that time but they do not respond then I think you have a responsibility to other members to call them out. The thing I’ve loved about this forum is trust between members . I have both given and received and that’s why I’m still here. You might never get your money back but at least you’ll have satisfaction!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Have PM’d several times.

Will flag them to a mod. It would be possible for the mods to see if they have been “selling” items to other mugs like me. I normally have a good nose for these things but was too keen to buy and too rushed to think. Oh well.

I have been a member here since 2002 and even though I have had a break or two from the scene, I find myself drawn back to this, the friendliest of forums, a real sanctuary in the hellhole that is the internet!

4 hours ago, njmlondon said:

It has not been that long yet but my alarm bells are going off… lot’s of contact during the sale then radio silence even though I know they are logging on.

Combine that with the fact they set the account up 5th Jan and are selling stuff by 10th with no other content in the forums and it all smells fishy to me!

Can you see on the for sale ad. that other members have asked about purchases ? .Maybe you can ask them if they have received any items yet , or what their state of play is regarding comms .

I've been PM'd by new members with zero rating/likes about wanted items i'm after, after asking for more details they usually disappear. i'd say name them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, svenb said:

I've been PM'd by new members with zero rating/likes about wanted items i'm after, after asking for more details they usually disappear. i'd say name them.

Happened to me too a few days ago. Got a message about an article I am looking for. It was suspicious for me. New member, no posts.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/profile/57942-easy-lion/

God save the active community here, I trust everyone of that bunch of people.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Collin said:

Happened to me too a few days ago. Got a message about an article I am looking for. It was suspicious for me. New member, no posts.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/profile/57942-easy-lion/

God save the active community here, I trust everyone of that bunch of people.

Same person who contacted me!

Beware

• Like 4

11 hours ago, svenb said:

Beware

Yup, I've been contacted by that person too, regarding my ‘wanted’ post for a TA03 J Parts tree. I declined the $$$$ offer

Here's another one who wanted to help me track down a blue TA04 steering set (6/11/21). Zero posts, zero ratings...I ignored them, and they haven't been back since

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/profile/57637-fedricj/

• Like 3

On one forum, new members did not have the option to post in the trade section until a certain amount of rep had been earned.

Maybe this can be employed here?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

On one forum, new members did not have the option to post in the trade section until a certain amount of rep had been earned.

Maybe this can be employed here?

I wanted to write that too. Locked trade section for users with less then 50 postings or so...

• Like 2

Hi all,

This users posts are moderated and we are keeping any eye on him/her. As ever though please please dont enter into Friends & Family, wire transfers, refunds or dodgy payments with people you simply don't know. Ask for pictures with the users name etc to confirm they have the items you want to buy and pay with a method that gives you a financial comeback. 

No matter what walk of life or hobby you entertain there are always those that will seek to take advantage.

@netsmithUK are options available for posting in the forum as mentioned above? Maybe a post count level before posting in wanted etc?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, svenb said:

Beware

I was wondering about that too, he contacted me a couple weeks ago. Mine was about a brand new Ford F150 XLT he has.  I declined it, thinking it was probably BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acprc said:

Hi all,

This users posts are moderated and we are keeping any eye on him/her. As ever though please please dont enter into Friends & Family, wire transfers, refunds or dodgy payments with people you simply don't know. Ask for pictures with the users name etc to confirm they have the items you want to buy and pay with a method that gives you a financial comeback. 

No matter what walk of life or hobby you entertain there are always those that will seek to take advantage.

@netsmithUK are options available for posting in the forum as mentioned above? Maybe a post count level before posting in wanted etc?

It only make sense when you "only can read" or accesse the marketplace after having a certain ammount of posts.

"Offers" came in through p.m., so it does not matter if you can post.

26 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I wonder if you all received the same email address of this guy- tompowell***@gmail?

I never got as far as emails, smelt fishy straight away

• Like 2

Make it a personal rule not to do any transactions through PM, unless you know them.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Collin said:

It only make sense when you "only can read" or accesse the marketplace after having a certain ammount of posts.

"Offers" came in through p.m., so it does not matter if you can post.

Agree,

There has to be an element of "Caveat Emptor" in these things. I see it in Facebook groups I am a member of sadly. Buyers have to stop being quite so trusting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I wonder if you all received the same email address of this guy- tompowell***@gmail?

Mine was Peter Clemence