Sign in to follow this  
Scottrc

Fitting body shell

Anyone have any tips for fitting 1/10 body’s onto the body posts perfectly? Is it best to make the holes before painting or after? How can you get the body perfectly aligned??? Thanks

I'm currently fitting a Land Rover Defender 90 body to a CC-01 chassis and I'm pre fitting it while its still clear it's a lot easier being able to see where the mounting points are and mark the out side of the body with marker pen where the holes need to be,  but personally I don't like mounting posts and clips so this time I'm looking at using magnets again a lot easier to work on before the body is painted

Joe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dimples on the lexan bodies are a reliable guide as to where to drill the holes, specially if it's a Tamiya body going to a Tamiya chassis. As above noted, it is a good idea to double-check while the lexan body is still clear, this way you can be certain. There are some Tamiya bodies that have multiple dimple positions to accommodate for different chassis body post locations. I normally paint first, then drill second.

For hard bodies it is a different story. Tamiya normally mounts them via other methods other than body posts. If you are referring to a custom job where you want to mount a hard body to body posts, then it's a bit more tricky. What I've used in the past is place a thin layer of blue-tac on the inside of the body roughly where the holes should go. I then use the body posts, mounted on the chassis, to mark the blue-tac. Make sure the body is not in an angle, i.e. it is oriented in the final vertical alignment, when you make the marks. These marks would be a very good reference but you would still need to manually measure the left-to-right, front-to-back and center-line spacing for best fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t even looked at the shell close enough to see the dimples so that would be a good place to start. Yes it’s an Audi Quattro Tamiya rally shell going on a tt-02 chassis. My paint hasn’t turned up yet so will trial fit now it’s still clear. Thanks

Drill first than paint, or you will regret it! Don't ask me how I know! 😅

I make one off cars out of hardshell and the trick for me is to define a location for the body post hole, make the hole and adjust the post side.  Since the mounts are all custom I can get it 100% perfect each time.  

Same for polycarbonate.. even easier since you can see through the body to define a general location, drill the hole and make any adjustments on the chassis side as needed.

GL with your project! 

• Like 1

Just remember to put a piece of tape on the outside of all the holes (body posts, antenna tubes, rear view mirrors etc) before paint.  

Post deleted.

Edited by OnTheTrail
Oops, put this in the wrong post.