Saito2

Why the distain for full vintage experience?

20 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

@Saito2 

I think it depends on the person and the tastes.  For me, I'm building my kits as period as I can, but to be fair, mechanical speed controllers were not much fun but that said, the Tamiya unit in the Grasshopper Hornet era etc, I had as a kid and liked very much I had no issue with it, once in a while it would move past the contact point and I'd have to adjust but that's it.

When I bought my RC10 in 91, there was just no way I was going to mount that box speed control on the rear bulkhead, it was widely accepted at the time that was a POS.  

So to me, I wish I could find mint NOVAKs and TEKINs from the early 90s.  That was what I grew up with.   I still run my Futaba MC112B in one of my cars.

For the 81 kit I'm building now, I chose to skip the mechanical speed controller for a few reasons. But I'm sticking with NMHI batteries, and trying to keep it as much original.   But with TXs, the lot of mint and NOS Futabas on ebay has kind of run its course.  I prefer my vintage TXs, they are easy to use, and feel good in the hand.

Depends on who you talk to,  I'm not into LIPO yet and don't anticipate making the switch or hassle.   I'm 47.   When I take my BRAT out, I don't need to drive it for 75 minutes.   After about 30 minutes, I'm good.

I have a NIB unused Novak T1X that really would need to be ran at some point. Also unsoldered 1700 SCE’s (matched) and new period modified motors. I doubt the cells will take a full charge or even takea charge at all, but just looking at all that nice old stuff is such a good feeling :)

5 hours ago, pUs said:

I have a NIB unused Novak T1X that really would need to be ran at some point. Also unsoldered 1700 SCE’s (matched) and new period modified motors. I doubt the cells will take a full charge or even takea charge at all, but just looking at all that nice old stuff is such a good feeling :)

sweet!