speedy_w_beans

Hobby King Warehouse Sale (USA)

If you're located in the USA, it looks like Hobbyking is having a moving sale before they relocate to a new warehouse.  The banner on their site's home page scrolled by, so I checked it out.

Warehouse Sale

I spent a few hours poking around their site yesterday looking for any useful deals to be had.  I'm not in the market for any cars/planes/helis/multi-rotors; I was looking more at consumables, materials, and tools to have on hand for the future.  Most of the items I grabbed are below.  It looks like a lot, but the total order is about the price of a TT02 kit (~$110 USD):

Carbon Fiber Sheets - for making chassis plates, damper stays, battery retainers, etc.

• Woven Carbon Fiber Sheet 300x100 (2.0MM Thick) $8.09
  • Woven Carbon Fiber Sheet 300x100 (1.5MM Thick) $10.38
  • Woven Carbon Fiber Sheet 300x100 (1.0MM Thick) $5.09

Glass Fiber Cloth - random thoughts about molding interiors and chassis covers

• Glass Fiber Cloth 1000x900mm 18g/m2 $0.74
  • Glass Fiber Cloth 1000x1000mm 105g/m2 $0.86

3D Printing Consumables - I use quite a bit of blue tape and like to try different filaments

• PLA Premium Clear 1kg 1.75mm HobbyKing $6.90
  • Turnigy Blue 3D Printer Bed Tape Sheets 235 x 155mm (20pcs) $2.36
  • High Temperature Polyimide Tape (0.06mm*24mm*33Meters) $1.22
  • PET Tape 80mm (33m) $2.14

Electrical (clean wiring), Servo Mounting, Vibration Isolation (for gyros)

• Nitto Electrical Tape (Black) $0.70
  • Spiral Wrap Tube ID 5mm / OD 6mm (Black - 2m) $0.79
  • Double-Sided Adhesive PE Foam Tape 25mmx5M (Black) $2.10
  • Double Sided Tape (Clear) 25mm x 1m $1.07
  • Vibration Absorption Sheet 210x145x1.5mm (Black) $0.54

Body Tapes - reinforcing bodies, sticking some bits of lexan together, securing LED wiring

• Self Adhesive Bidirectional Fibre Reinforcing Tape (50mmx50M) $3.00
  • Aluminum Self Adhesive Foil Tape 60mm x 38m x 0.06mm $2.78

Tire Glue - low on supplies at the moment

• Ultra-Cure Super Tire CA Glue 3/4 oz $2.34

Nitro Stuff - tool kit for TRF801X, love fuel tubing for limiting damper travel

• Turnigy Nitro Engine Starter Pack with Tool Set $3.59
  • Silicon Fuel Pipe (1m) White for Glow Engines 6x4mm $0.79
  • Silicon fuel pipe (1 mtr) White for Nitro Engines 4x2.5mm $1.48

Tools  - mostly geeked about the tweezers and feeler gauges

• Feeler Gauge - Set of 14 (0.05~1.00mm) $1.28
  • Hobby Stainless Steel Tweezer $1.39
  • Z-Bend Pliers Heavy Duty 90 degree up to 1/16 $2.70

Electronics - LED switching, BECs with good servo capacity or small size, crawler motors for trucks

• Dr. Mad Thrust Electronic On/Off Switch $2.25
  • Turnigy 6A (6V~25V) Switch Mode UBEC w/Selectable Voltages $3.90
  • HobbyKing™ Micro BEC 5V/1A $3.00
  • Trackstar 35T Carbon Brushed Motor for 1/10th Crawlers $3.00
  • TrackStar 1/10th Brushed Motor 540/55T $2.83
  • TrackStar 1/10th Brushed Motor 540/80T $7.08

Power/Charging - speed run power monitoring, better power for my IMAX B6 chargers, leads for various batteries

• Turnigy 180A Watt Meter and Power Analyzer $14.99
  • USB Power Supply 5v 2.5A with Interchangeable County Plugs $1.99
  • HobbyKing 15V 7A Power Supply 100~240V (US Plug) $4.79
  • 4mm HXT to 4mm Banana Plug Charge Lead $0.76
  • Trackstar Charge Lead For Hardcase Type Lipo Batteries $2.06
  • XT60 Male to 4mm Banana Plug Charge Lead $0.68
  • 6 x JST Male to 4mm Banana Plug Charge Lead $0.90

I guess if I had to pick some of the things I'm most geeked about, they would include:

• Clear PLA filament:  Someone in the review section indicated he was getting better-than-average part strength with clear.
  • Spiral wrap tubing:  I've used a little bit of this stuff in my DB01R and TRF801XT, and it really does a nice job of cleaning up the installation.
  • Aluminum tape:  Conforms to odd surfaces nicely, good adhesive, holds stuff in place well.
  • Tweezers:  These look similar to the ones I've used at work for surface mount electronics, which is really fine/detailed work.
  • Brushed motors:  $3 replaceable brush motors???  That's even lower than their normal Mabuchi pricing of $4.50.
  • Power analyzer:  Curious to know how much current is being drawn from the battery under hard acceleration, and how low the voltage dips under that load.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just beware, their shipping costs went through the roof since the last time I bought something from their US warehouse.  Chances are sale prices may not offset the shipping costs.   I even asked via their contact page if those costs were accurate and they replied yes.  I think they're trying to get back a few dollars on the sale prices perhaps.....????   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Just beware, their shipping costs went through the roof since the last time I bought something from their US warehouse.  Chances are sale prices may not offset the shipping costs.   I even asked via their contact page if those costs were accurate and they replied yes.  I think they're trying to get back a few dollars on the sale prices perhaps.....????   

Honestly, I only buy from them because I'm 40 minutes north of the warehouse. Otherwise, I'd buy elsewhere. I've only bought motors, ESCs, servos, and batteries, because the prices are good and they're local. The cars they sell don't seem to have consistent parts support. I've made a couple returns and the service was good.

• Like 1

Picked up a bunch of electronics earlier this week- Got a 1080 for $15 and a 120A boat ESC for 12. The 1080 was sold out as of yesterday but there are lots of good deals still to be had. Might have to make a second order and get some of those CF sheets, batteries, and more servos. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 10:25 PM, Bash said:

Picked up a bunch of electronics earlier this week- Got a 1080 for $15 and a 120A boat ESC for 12. The 1080 was sold out as of yesterday but there are lots of good deals still to be had. Might have to make a second order and get some of those CF sheets, batteries, and more servos. 

Whoa, a 1080 for $15?   That's a crazy deal, too bad I missed out on that.  I'll have to take a look at their site. 

• Like 1

I combed through the entire site, and found nothing I urgently need. All the ESCs that are cheap have poor reviews. I’m just not in a spot where I feel a need to stock up on stuff I might not use. This sale is useful for a more diversified hobbyist, as the OP demonstrated.

People that ordered stuff - have you received it, or has it shipped?  Mine has been stuck in 'processing' for over a week.

3 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

People that ordered stuff - have you received it, or has it shipped?  Mine has been stuck in 'processing' for over a week.

It’s hit or miss. I always picked up my orders, but some would process for a week, some would be ready same day. No rhyme or reason, order size wouldn’t affect it, dollar amount wouldn’t affect it. 
Maybe it’s how far they have to walk across the warehouse.

• Thanks 1

I got mine last week and it shipped within 24 hours. Last order I made with them about a year ago took 2 weeks to ship, so It's unfortunately hit or miss like @BelknapCrater said. I'd suggest contacting their Customer Support, they are very helpful with this sort of stuff and my order that I mentioned earlier got shipped shortly afterward after talking with CS.

• Thanks 1

My order still says processing, but I've had that happen in the past, too.  I'm not going to sweat it for a few weeks.

To me it feels like HobbyKing is past its prime.  They used to have a lot of new products coming in, videos with their in-house personalities demonstrating stuff, some contests and consolation prizes, etc.  Lately it doesn't feel like they have been refreshing their products much.

In the cliche good/fast/cheap/pick 2 tradeoff, hopefully I'm getting good and cheap at the expense of fast this time.  :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Link please? I’ve been looking at two that are $70 each.

They’re sold out now from the USA warehouse unfortunately.

On 2/2/2022 at 12:43 PM, SlideWRX said:

I got mine.  Ordered on the 20th, received on the 28th.   I can't believe the insane price I paid for freight.  $41 freight on $68 worth of stuff.   If the prices weren't as good I would have never got the stuff.   Ordered three things from the Bangood USA warehouse (including an RC kit) about a week later and my freight was half the price for larger heavier packages.   

Update:. My order finally shipped.  It'll probably take another week of FedEx ground transport for everything to arrive.  So maybe 3 weeks from ordering until receipt of merchandise?  If I was in the middle of a project the turnaround time would probably drive me crazy, especially for domestic shipping.  But since I'm just stocking supplies for future projects I guess it's no big deal.  No strong emotions either way.  :mellow:

I got the shipment notice the day after I asked here :)   Some of my items were dusty, so I guess I really made them search for the old stock! :D 

• Like 1