Sign in to follow this  
RichieRich

Academy shock spacer help

I recently purchased some MRC/Academy shock bodies that are upgrades for the SB Sport 4WD buggy. I have all the parts to assemble EXCEPT for the "damper bush" circled in the pic. I believe it has an 8mm outside diameter, 3mm thick and with an M3 hole. Can anyone confirm the specs or point me to a parts tree?

damper bush.png

I feel like I should update this. Back in 2004, I bought myself an Academy SB Sport. Nice buggy, super basic so it needed a few upgrades. I added a slipper clutch, some lunsford turnbuckles, full bearings and some associated shocks. I remember snapping the diff screw and I replaced it with an associated one. I didn't think I had tightened it that much, but I guess I did. Fast forward to earlier this year after it being unpacked after the move, I ran across some Academy hard anodized aluminum shock bodies. You can essentially swap out the original plastic shock bodies with these except for a small shock bush noted in my first post. I found some 1mm M3 nylon spacers and used those as a replacement since the part is impossible to find.

I did notice that one of the original plastic bodied front shocks has a bent shock shaft. Of course, another impossible to find part. I ordered some HPI 40.5 mm x 3mm shock shafts to replace the originals. Hopefully those work as replacements. Once the shocks are back together, the chassis will get a cleaning and I may replace a few metal shielded bearings with some rubber sealed versions.

@martinjpayneThankfully, I have the original body and undertray so I have not been looking for those. The part number for it is SB-012 in case you don't have that. If you don't want the original, I'm sure there are other buggy bodies that might fit.

• Thanks 1

Quick update, I ordered HPI 40.5 mm M3 shock shafts to replace the bent stock parts. Just a half mm longer than stock and they fit perfect. I also ordered some 50mm M3 Kyosho shafts for the rear. The originals had some grooves. The Kyosho shafts worked great but they do have a thinner groove for the e-clip so I had to dig out some thinner ones from my parts stash. I'll post a pic of the car once I blow some of this dust off with compressed air.