rc_ox

Wild Willy 4x4 Trail Truck

Hi TC'ers, 

Does anyone have any suggestions on a chassis that could turn the Wild Willy 2 Jeep into a comical crawler/trail truck? 

I LOVE this shapeways chassis but it's based on axles for mini-crawlers (Losi and Vaterra) that are no longer in production :(

IMG_2851_zps688622b6.jpg

Consider the MST CMX / CFX axles - they're fairly narrow.  I don't have a set to measure, but they might be close enough.  The CMX fits nicely under other Tamiya hardbodies like the Blackfoot.

The wheelbase will probably be too long in stock form, but you might be able to use the axles with that Shapeways kit or make new rails to shorten the CMX.  The CFX has the motor mounted up front (it might fit under the Jeep body, not sure), the CMX is mounted low in the centre - depending on how much centre clearance and articulation you want, you might be able the mount the Willy body over it.

• Thanks 1

The GF01TR does fit of course, but probably not what you had in mind, looks much more like a monster truck,

You could also use the MF01x (with no spacers too) - if you wanted to keep it Tamiya. I've got a couple of short wheelbase MF01x trucks, although it's more of a racing truck/trail hybrid and not really a true crawler, it still drives very nicely.

The version JennyMo made looks a little similar to your picture.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your replies! These are exactly the ideas I was hunting for. 

I think a trail truck is a more realistic expectation than a crawler. That WW body will be heavy and I certainly don't want to send it tumbling down some rocks. 

That MF01 witht the FJ body - I think I stumbled across that model on YT a few years ago. Loved it and had forgotten about all it! I do have a soft spot for FJ's ;)

TC members come through, once again :wub: thank you @Mad Ax @Nikko85

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rc_ox said:

Thank you so much for your replies! These are exactly the ideas I was hunting for. 

I think a trail truck is a more realistic expectation than a crawler. That WW body will be heavy and I certainly don't want to send it tumbling down some rocks. 

That MF01 witht the FJ body - I think I stumbled across that model on YT a few years ago. Loved it and had forgotten about all it! I do have a soft spot for FJ's ;)

TC members come through, once again :wub: thank you @Mad Ax @Nikko85

Not a problem, and good luck with the build. I personally have found the sand scorcher tires to be pretty good front and back for a small trail truck. Even with a 13T pinion the speed is still quite fast, but a higher turn motor would help if you wanted it slower. 

• Like 1