16_Bit_Mr_J

41 year old man child. Rediscovering RC's

Hi all

As the title suggests when I was a wee nipper I was massively into RC's but fell out of love probably like a lot of people. Had some extended time off work due to a back injury recently and needed something to do and I don't know why but I just thought buy some Tamiya RC's and build them so here I am :)

The obligatory Lunchbox and one of the models i desired so much but never owned the Monster Beetle. Not sure what's next but I'm looking forward to it already

Isn't it great being older and having your own money :)

20220123_185241.jpg

IMG_20220121_164030_993.jpg

• Like 21

Welcome aboard, great quality builds there.  We are the same age, I decided to get back into Tamiya RC in my mid-20s when I didn't have my own money.  Doing it now is much better, so good choice :D

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Welcome aboard, great quality builds there.  We are the same age, I decided to get back into Tamiya RC in my mid-20s when I didn't have my own money.  Doing it now is much better, so good choice :D

That's very nice of you to say I think I did alright with the builds. I was never very good at the painting part and that shows a little with the Monster Beetle as I was eager to get it finished. The Lunchbox came out way better as I took my time and even did the whole wet sanding bit between coats. Thanks for the welcome as well its much appreciated 😀 

• Like 2

Just in case you dont know the monster beetle gearbox is prone to problems because of flexing of the metal sides of the gearbox.This causes the diff to slip and gears get damaged,there is an mip ball diff to buy for this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Super ally said:

Just in case you dont know the monster beetle gearbox is prone to problems because of flexing of the metal sides of the gearbox.This causes the diff to slip and gears get damaged,there is an mip ball diff to buy for this.

Thanks for the heads up I'll have a look at that 

Welcome, i reckon there is a few of us here with those fond childhood memories :)  Im only a few years older, but did the same as you when i hit 40 :lol:.

• Like 1

Yeah, same here, mid 40s and yearned for a Blackfoot the n the 80's so much it ached!

Dabbled with a 959 & Juggernaut 2 in the noughties which have since moved on, and now it's a Sand Scorcher & Lancia 037 as I really wanted to spend my time detailing the hard bodies.

The Sand Scorcher is a marvel if engineering if you like a challenge, very different from the others.

Taking your time is the key, as you've probably learned already.

Nice to have you on board!

• Like 1

Welcome to Tamiya Club!  

Your shells are done better than things in hobby shop display windows!  It's fun rediscovering Tamiya, isn't it? And it's nice to fund it without dealing with extra conditions parents love to impose on! 

Have you discovered that ball bearings and axle pins love to take a dip in coffee/tea?  It happened to me a couple of times, the slippery ******s. (Necessity dictated that I combine RC and fishing at those times...Magnets make best baits. They don't bite anything else, you know. It's better to fish in the mug than trying to fish down the drain pipe. Not that I admit doing that...no, no.;) 

g4MZaiY.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Nice trucks!  I'm in the same boat - was into RCs as a kid but never had money for anything, just kept fixing up my one car so it would run.  Now that I'm older and got back into it I waste too much money on it.  Starting to see a theme around here :)  Glad you rediscovered the hobby, it really is great. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Juggular said:

Welcome to Tamiya Club!  

Your shells are done better than things in hobby shop display windows!  It's fun rediscovering Tamiya, isn't it? And it's nice to fund it without dealing with extra conditions parents love to impose on! 

Have you discovered that ball bearings and axle pins love to take a dip in coffee/tea?  It happened to me a couple of times, the slippery ******s. (Necessity dictated that I combine RC and fishing at those times...Magnets make best baits. They don't bite anything else, you know. It's better to fish in the mug than trying to fish down the drain pipe. Not that I admit doing that...no, no.;) 

g4MZaiY.jpg

I've never had to go fishing for bits in my coffee but the eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted the blood trail clean up at the beginning and the addition of 2 plasters by the end of the build 😂

2 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

I've never had to go fishing for bits in my coffee but the eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted the blood trail clean up at the beginning and the addition of 2 plasters by the end of the build 😂

Ouch! 

You got me pretty focused on tea and hot crossed buns, and keeping an eye on the hammer at the bottom of the screen in the secret hope that you'd use it 😁

Tell me that cuppa was stone cold by the time you finished it. You got a lot done on one cup! 

With that soundtrack I wondered whether you'd sign off with the lunchbox chasing girls round the garden. 

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Ouch! 

You got me pretty focused on tea and hot crossed buns, and keeping an eye on the hammer at the bottom of the screen in the secret hope that you'd use it 😁

Tell me that cuppa was stone cold by the time you finished it. You got a lot done on one cup! 

With that soundtrack I wondered whether you'd sign off with the lunchbox chasing girls round the garden. 

Yeah the first coffee was very cold by the time I got to it and chasing girls Benny Hill style would have been great but alas that kind of behaviour doesn't fly anymore 😄

25 minutes ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

Yeah the first coffee was very cold by the time I got to it and chasing girls Benny Hill style would have been great but alas that kind of behaviour doesn't fly anymore 😄

Certainly "of its time" but then so's a Lunchbox! 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

Thanks for the heads up I'll have a look at that 

There is a cheaper solution @Xeostar produces a brace that clamps the two sides of the gearbox together. There are two types one for Blackfoot and a different one for the monster Beetle I believe. If you send him a PM he’ll make you one . about a tenner posted Uk. If memory serves!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

There is a cheaper solution @Xeostar produces a brace that clamps the two sides of the gearbox together. There are two types one for Blackfoot and a different one for the monster Beetle I believe. If you send him a PM he’ll make you one . about a tenner posted Uk. If memory serves!!!

Thank you for the info. Are either of the mods essential if I'm sticking with the Silver Can and a 2s lipo. Possibly swapping for a Super Stock BZ in the future 

I would suggest it for silvercan + Lipos and above. And at £10 it’s a cheap insurance!!

• Like 2

I run the @Xeostar braces in my Blackfoot 2016 & Monster Beetle 2015 and they are great.  Have not had a problem with either truck since I installed them.  I run the Blackfoot quite often and the diff is still smooth & quiet, I'd say they're definitely worth it. 

• Like 2

I'm usually good for at least one mishap per build resulting in blood flow from some finger or hand.   

You my friend take it to a new level by getting that out of the way within the first two seconds of the video!  :D

44yo "man-child" here.

had fun with a RTR Hornet-type RC that uses AA-batt, when i was pre-teens.

also dabbled in plastic kit models such as the Apache Heli, the 1989 Batwing and Batmobile (these 2 my fav), and the F-16 falcon.

now during work-home pandemic lockdown, the **** YT videos from "Mechanic After Hours" caught my eye with his amazing builds, like his Blitzer Beetle.

Ready to burn big holes in my pocket now. for better or worse.

life's too short, especially in these pandemic times.... you'll never know.

my wishlist: Blitzer Beetle, Sand Scorcher 2010, Avante 2011, Fighting Buggy, Grasshopper Black Edtn (which reminds me of that old toy i had)

Same same over here!   Ability to buy own toys is fun.  Picked up a Monster Beetle and Big Wig myself.  Class is I could never afford when a teenager.  Eying a lunch box and original Avante too!91E87092-4987-42D7-A123-683E596C9C95.thumb.jpeg.eb3a870b7eb90dac6b33869044adbec4.jpeg8CB77650-8AE1-4341-8B23-D0D58F465B6A.thumb.jpeg.f3e7c775fd0d35ac852d7b8409e4c3c0.jpeg6AA7B480-2084-4501-ACA9-BED71BBA8C3C.thumb.jpeg.00ae230045dc2897a0c5fc7946898e94.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frankster said:

Same same over here!   Ability to buy own toys is fun.  Picked up a Monster Beetle and Big Wig myself.  Class is I could never afford when a teenager.  Eying a lunch box and original Avante too!91E87092-4987-42D7-A123-683E596C9C95.thumb.jpeg.eb3a870b7eb90dac6b33869044adbec4.jpeg8CB77650-8AE1-4341-8B23-D0D58F465B6A.thumb.jpeg.f3e7c775fd0d35ac852d7b8409e4c3c0.jpeg6AA7B480-2084-4501-ACA9-BED71BBA8C3C.thumb.jpeg.00ae230045dc2897a0c5fc7946898e94.jpeg

The Bigwig was another one I wanted so much back then as well as a Manta Ray. I had a Grasshopper 2 Super G and would so love to find one of them that was a bit of a project and bring back to nice condition. My Dad built mine for me and having lost him a couple of years ago it would be a nice thing to do

@alicemalt that Sand Scorcher does look great I'm very tempted 🙂

• Like 1