16_Bit_Mr_J

41 year old man child. Rediscovering RC's

1 hour ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

The Bigwig was another one I wanted so much back then as well as a Manta Ray. I had a Grasshopper 2 Super G and would so love to find one of them that was a bit of a project and bring back to nice condition. My Dad built mine for me and having lost him a couple of years ago it would be a nice thing to do

@alicemalt that Sand Scorcher does look great I'm very tempted 🙂

Actually I picked up a used Manta Ray.  Looks to be a 2005 edition. Chassis is all used and missing some pieces but the body is new uncut / unpainted and wheels still have have mould injection tree connections (unmounted).  Trying to restore it at the moment. 

143CD6EC-686E-449B-8E51-1E0A14EBD91F.jpeg

2F9F739A-5506-47BD-80B4-AE321EFD67BC.jpeg

4E15854C-8003-4D27-9504-97DE53FE9FFA.jpeg

7CD7A971-D76C-425C-AD7C-ABCB3B7834FB.jpeg

7BE918B0-4989-490B-BF31-6A1B6CDDB45A.jpeg

• Like 3

I was your age when I got back into RC for the third time. This time with a lot more cash then my younger self. The collection has expanded significantly ever since

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Actually I picked up a used Manta Ray.  Looks to be a 2005 edition. Chassis is all used and missing some pieces but the body is new uncut / unpainted and wheels still have have mould injection tree connections (unmounted).  Trying to restore it at the moment. 

143CD6EC-686E-449B-8E51-1E0A14EBD91F.jpeg

2F9F739A-5506-47BD-80B4-AE321EFD67BC.jpeg

4E15854C-8003-4D27-9504-97DE53FE9FFA.jpeg

7CD7A971-D76C-425C-AD7C-ABCB3B7834FB.jpeg

7BE918B0-4989-490B-BF31-6A1B6CDDB45A.jpeg

I'm very jealous and I'm on the lookout for one myself. Look forward to seeing your progress 

I started making models at 4 yo and had always looked at the Lunchbox at the shops but can never afford them. So when in between jobs 12 years ago (at 32 yo), I got my first LB as my first RC kit as a birthday present from my GF (now wife). After that and a TT-01, I moved across the country and a few new homes later, I finally got my own place and got back into RC again last summer. In that few months time, my fleet grew from 2 to 10. Good luck!

On 1/24/2022 at 3:44 PM, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

Isn't it great being older and having your own money :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

I was your age when I got back into RC for the third time. This time with a lot more cash then my younger self. The collection has expanded significantly ever since

It would appear that I'm in very good company with you lot 🙂 although I don't think my bank account is going to be too happy I've joined 🙂

20 minutes ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

It would appear that I'm in very good company with you lot 🙂 although I don't think my bank account is going to be too happy I've joined 🙂

I'm only about 4 months into my 45 year old return to childhood and I can confirm that the cost of the kits is a drop in the ocean of everything else you get tempted by but have no need for!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I'm only about 4 months into my 45 year old return to childhood and I can confirm that the cost of the kits is a drop in the ocean of everything else you get tempted by but have no need for!

Mmmm I know all about that. I'm also very much into my motorcycles and Tattoos so I'm hoping spending money on rc's will stop me spending money on them but I highly doubt it 🤣

The title of this tread made me smile.  

I'm a bit older, but same.. still a 5year old in my head.  My wife says she has 3 kids in the house.. dad (me) being the youngest.  :lol:

Welcome to the TamiyaClub, @16_Bit_Mr_J !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

The title of this tread made me smile.  

I'm a bit older, but same.. still a 5year old in my head.  My wife says she has 3 kids in the house.. dad (me) being the youngest.  :lol:

Welcome to the TamiyaClub, @16_Bit_Mr_J !

Growing up is optional as they say and thank you for the welcome 

• Like 1

All the best people on here are 41 y.o.  Not that I'm in any way biased, of course...  :D  My story is not entirely dissimilar to yours, albeit it was the first lockdown and a need for a more sedentary hobby, coupled with the discovery of my original Mud Blaster in my folks' attic, that led me here.

Re the above comments about the fantastic solution from @Xeostar, the thread below has the detail.  I too have one of his braces on my ORV and it's great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, middleagedgrup said:

All the best people on here are 41 y.o.  Not that I'm in any way biased, of course...  :D  My story is not entirely dissimilar to yours, albeit it was the first lockdown and a need for a more sedentary hobby, coupled with the discovery of my original Mud Blaster in my folks' attic, that led me here.

Re the above comments about the fantastic solution from @Xeostar, the thread below has the detail.  I too have one of his braces on my ORV and it's great.

Thank you for the link. I have sent him a message so will have one shortly......and yes 41 is definitely the best age 🤘

On 1/26/2022 at 6:28 PM, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

Growing up is optional as they say and thank you for the welcome 

It is my belief that if a man gets rid of his inner child, then there is no man left. Welcome to the kidsclub :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

It is my belief that if a man gets rid of his inner child, then there is no man left. Welcome to the kidsclub :D

If it's like this kids club then everything is great 😁

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

I probably wished I was the kid with the goggles back then, but was probably more like the dork in the glasses....or maybe the dog. I rarely went to Burger King except to score one of the free paper crowns they always had laying about. At any rate, my wife always kids me about "boys and their toys" with an eye roll when I buy RC stuff. I ,of course, reply "Toys, they're not! They are RC models!" To which she says, "Ok, they're adult toys then." Somehow, I find something amiss with that statement...

• Haha 2

I got back into RC cars in my mid-ish 30's. Mostly Tamiya and some Kyosho as my dirty little (open) secret.

I now have ~40 cars. I am not proud of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

I got back into RC cars in my mid-ish 30's. Mostly Tamiya and some Kyosho as my dirty little (open) secret.

I now have ~40 cars. I am not proud of this.

Cherish each and every car, Pablo68!  :lol:

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 3:44 AM, alvinlwh said:

my fleet grew from 2 to 10. 

Yeah, funny how that happens. I went from 2 (one new, one 1983 restored) to 11, er no, maybe 12 in just 12 months.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:02 AM, c64orinoco said:

Yeah, funny how that happens. I went from 2 (one new, one 1983 restored) to 11, er no, maybe 12 in just 12 months.

Glad I am not the only one!! I started back last year with my original retro cars. Convinced I needed a car to understand the build process in order to clean the old ones up and refurbish them…. I now have 12 new cars (3 still in their boxes to be built next year) and a plan for more! It is addictive but loads of fun. 

• Like 1