Sign in to follow this  
Ejsbth

Beginner struggling with electronics

I am a beginner and decided to try my first build with Wild Willy 2.

I know nothing about electronics and don’t know the language. I put all the parts in…the Motor that the kit came with and the ESC that the kit came with. The instructions say that the ESC comes with separate instructions but there aren’t any. I tried Google but don’t even understand the basics. I don’t even know if the motor is brushless or brushed (The gearbox and the motor already came assembled).

The motor has two wires (green and Yellow) and the ESC has three wires(yellow orange and blue). Not sure which ones to connect.

I have the ESC plugged into channel 2 and the steering servo plugged into channel 1 on the receiver/transmitter. I can provide pictures.

when I turn it on the wheels immediately turned to the left and there’s a lot of beeping. That’s as far as I got.

Can anyone help me and explain it to me in terms I can understand?😂This is my first build and my first forum. Thank you in advance for your patience.

image.jpg

B6826F28-9501-4D19-8D25-890397905D7D.jpeg

Edited by Ejsbth
Trying to add pictures

Hi, ok.

A brushed motor has 2 wires, like yours.

A brushless motor has three wires.

Same with the esc, (electronic speed controller).  Brushed 2 wires, brushless 3 wires.

The motor and esc you have are 2 different types.  Not compatible.

You have connected the servos correctly.  Channel 1 steering, channel 2 esc.

With regards to your steering not being straight, check your transmitter and make sure the trim is centred.  If so you may have to remove the steering servo horn from the servo and centre it.

14 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

Hi, ok.

Same with the esc, (electronic speed controller).  Brushed 2 wires, brushless 3 wires.

They are compatible.

The esc is able to be used on both brushed and brushless motors. Out of the box the esc is in the default brushed motor configuration.

When installing the esc into your car, you will only use two of the three motor wires. The blue wire goes to the minus terminal on the brushed motor this is usually a green wire, and the yellow wire goes to the positive terminal on the motor this is usually yellow on the motor.

So you dont use the orange wire with a brushed motor.

Source: https://www.thercracer.com/2021/05/tamiya-tble-04s-esc-speed-controller.html?m=0

• Thanks 1

Thanks! So the ESC and the motor are compatble? I would think if it came with the kit, It would be. They wouldn't supply me with an ESC that wasn't capatable? Would they?

Thanks for the clarification with the Steering Servo. I will take that out and see what I did wrong and if I can correct it. 

Just now, Ejsbth said:

Thanks! So the ESC and the motor are compatble? I would think if it came with the kit, It would be. They wouldn't supply me with an ESC that wasn't capatable? Would they?

Yes, they are compatible. If you follow the link I posted you will learn a lot more about this ESC.

I would make sure that the transmitter trim is centered.  And then undo the servo horn, just to make sure it's mounted close to the center. 

The horn must be centered when building. Most builders power on the servo before building the steering part.  If the servo isn't centered, the first thing it will try to do is to center itself.  But if you built it thinking it was already centered, but it wasn't? Then it could try to go to one extreme end.  That could cause a problem. 

If the transmitter trim is centered, but when you turn it on, it moves to one direction on its own?  Yep, I would re-do the servo horn.  

P.S. I keep cut one end of a cotton swab and jam it in the unused orange wire. The contact wouldn't get too dirty that way. Just in case you want to go with a brushless motor later.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I would make sure that the transmitter trim is centered.  And then undo the servo horn, just to make sure it's mounted close to the center. 

The horn must be centered when building. Most builders power on the servo before building the steering part.  If the servo isn't centered, the first thing it will try to do is to center itself.  But if you built it thinking it was already centered, but it wasn't? Then it could try to go to one extreme end.  That could cause a problem. 

If the transmitter trim is centered, but when you turn it on, it moves to one direction on its own?  Yep, I would re-do the servo horn.  

P.S. I keep cut one end of a cotton swab and jam it in the unused orange wire. The contact wouldn't get too dirty that way. Just in case you want to go with a brushless motor later.  

Thank you for explaining that!

• Like 1

What transmitter/controller do you have? EDIT: Never mind, I see the Flysky receiver in the first pic. :D

How much does the steering turn when you turn it on?  Pretty much as far as it can before the suspension wont let it go further?  or just a bit?

18 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Hi, ok.

I have the same exact ESC and it works both with brushed and brushless. 

With a brushless. 

spacer.png

With a brushed silver can. 

spacer.png

They are good for someone dipping their toes into BL, but not much good otherwise. 

@Ejsbth have you messed with the settings, pressing the set button, etc...? Are you colorblind? Serious question as I am and cannot tell the LED colors apart.

If yes to both, then you need to get someone, help as you will not know what you set it to. 

Moving in, I have the same exact setup as yours and just recently trobleshoot/set up it this weekend pass. First it sounds like the receiver (Rx) is not paired and/or your transmitter (Tx) is not turned on. The beeping is your no signal beeping. So turn your Tx on if not already. If the beeping don't stop, plug the binding plug into the top row of pins on the RX. Turn on the ESC. Then pressing the bind button on the TX, turn it on. The light on the RX should turn solid. Turn everything off and remove the bind cable. 

If after doing the above, the motor still does not move, is the ESC light flashing red green? If yes, press down the set button when ESC is off. Turn it on. Let go when it is orange. It flashes green orange. Press the set button when green. 

If the above don't apply, and it works, ignore and set end points instead. 

Turn on TX and set all trims to 0, EPA and DR to 100%. Then turn on ESC without touching TX. Press set button and release when red (usually first flash). It will flash flash red. Apply full throttle on TX and then press set button on ESC again. It will double flash red. Apply full brake/reverse and press set button on ESC a final time. LED will go off and you are done. Turn everything off and in again and test. 

Further troubleshooting (if you did messed with the ESC and cannot remember what you had done. 

No reverse. First, this ESC is a "double tap" reverse and not a very friendly one. You need to go to reverse (brake), there is some kind of delay/motor stop time before you can even engage reverse by pushing reverse a second (or fifth) time, even seasoned drivers find it strange (I am newish so don't know any better). Try a few times to confirm there is really reverse before messing with this. 

With ESC off, press set button and turn it on. Release on red. Turn everything off and on again to test. You should get reverse now. 

Finally (this should go right to the front), motor connection. 

You are using a silver can, so ESC blue to motor green and ESC yellow to motor yellow. Ignore orange cable. 

Hope this helps.