Dewin

Extending the track width on a MF-01X

I have an idea to mount a Honda City Turbo body on this chassis as the wheelbase can be achieved quite easily. But the track on this chassis is 163mm and I want to be able to make it suitable for 200mm wide body. 
I’ve been told that TL01 arms might make it slightly wider but not enough.
Has anyone else done something similar with this chassis?

Thanks

• Like 1

Absolutely. TL01 arms get you to about 188 or so mm....the rest can be be made up with some wider hexes, or more offset wheels. The rear track of my Porsche is 200mm exactly. 

Though I haven't tried them, the comical arms bolt on also and are a bit wider than TL01 arms. I have them on a TL01, but haven't put them on an MF yet.   

1 hour ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Absolutely. TL01 arms get you to about 188 or so mm....the rest can be be made up with some wider hexes, or more offset wheels. The rear track of my Porsche is 200mm exactly. 

Though I haven't tried them, the comical arms bolt on also and are a bit wider than TL01 arms. I have them on a TL01, but haven't put them on an MF yet.   

That’s brilliant info, thanks.

If I use the TL01 arms, what else would I need to go with it? Such as drift shafts etc?

Thanks again

19 minutes ago, Dewin said:

Noticed there’s a long arm kit for the TL01, would this do the job?

59E15359-0C8D-45CF-B2FF-9B25958F4D17.jpeg

if you could ever find one.  those are super rare now.

Nice idea! Keep us posted on how it works out and what solution you find. I considered using a GF01 to achieve 4wd… looks feasible.

6 hours ago, njmlondon said:

Nice idea! Keep us posted on how it works out and what solution you find. I considered using a GF01 to achieve 4wd… looks feasible.

Will do for sure, if I can find out more about what I need to make the MF-01X work. I would prefer to use this chassis or similar to get the drift/road look so can have it sitting low. Just don’t want end up to shelling out a fortune to het it to work 😂

I use TL01 arms on mine with 10 mm hexes, to get 190 mm width for the stadium truck look. My wheels are quite offset however, reducing the gains, so with other wheels I could see 200 mm being reached. The TL01 arms just drop in, no problem there. 

8UEt6Oj.jpg

d7vRwLF.jpg

22 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

I use TL01 arms on mine with 10 mm hexes, to get 190 mm width for the stadium truck look. My wheels are quite offset however, reducing the gains, so with other wheels I could see 200 mm being reached. The TL01 arms just drop in, no problem there. 

8UEt6Oj.jpg

d7vRwLF.jpg

That’s great stuff, thanks. Did you have to use longer drive shafts I presume? Other than that, was there anything else that you added?

thanks again

• Like 1

Yes, I had to use longer driveshafts - 39 mm I think. I also needed to make longer upper suspension arms too, I used ball connectors and studding and made them myself. Other than that it was very simple. 

IIRC I stole all the ideas from @OldSchoolRC1's thread!

I am sure I did a thread about this when I did mine. I gave up in the end but more through time limitations than anything else. 

here it is. Long read but I covers a lot of your questions. It gets to the point about page 3 😂

I also have carbon rod you can use to make a drive shaft. 

@IBIFTKH built a nice one as seen in this thread as well.

I think he bought the scraps of my failed project after this as well 😂

Yes, what they said.. :) 

The comical arms add about 8mm per side, if you get to 185mm or so with the TL parts, the comicals should get you to 217mm at the hexes. Might be a bit wider than you want to go? I'm not sure how wide the Honda body is. 

Comparing the two: 

20200604-160916-SM.jpg

11 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Yes, what they said.. :) 

The comical arms add about 8mm per side, if you get to 185mm or so with the TL parts, the comicals should get you to 217mm at the hexes. Might be a bit wider than you want to go? I'm not sure how wide the Honda body is. 

Comparing the two: 

20200604-160916-SM.jpg

It’s about 200mm or slightly over. I’m planning on running HPI Turbomac wheels (if they ever come bach in stock!), these have 6mm offset so the TL01 migh be better suited. 

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated. 

Wel…. She’s coming along slowly. Still got a few bots to get it sitting just right. Had a badword of a job finding low profile tyres for the 2.2” wheels. Wanted some drift ones but couldn’t source any so have put some Lego Technic tyres on just for now!

75E716ED-0287-42EC-9809-A3864A0D5948.jpeg

Great job it's looking great. Love the lego solution! ;)

In the Designs forum you will see @nicherotorsis designing a GF01 based chassis for the City. It looks very promising.

52 minutes ago, nicherotors said:

These cars are so much fun - loving the turbo fan wheels. @Dewin - where did you find them and how do they fix onto the rim?

The Wheels are HPI 2.2” Turbofans, the fans are secured in place by the wheel nut

51 minutes ago, nicherotors said:

… and, asking for a friend, where did you get the wing mirrors?

If I remember, they are Fastrax wing mirror set for 1/10 scale. You get 6 or 7 pairs of different mirrors. I had to modify it a bot to fit but does the job nicely I think.