Sign in to follow this  
LEE71

TBLE 04 fan recommendations

Can anyone recommend a fan for the Tamiya TBLE 04 ESC for a TFE with Hobbywing 17.5t brushless motor?

• Like 1

I've always used  30mm Raspberry Pi fans on HW1060 and Tamiya TBLE02/04 ESCs. Also on top of motor heatsinks to cool Super Stock TZ/BZ motors. These fans are low cost (~2.5 dollars each!) and lower temperatures considerably. Never had an issue even on hot 30+ degC days. I see no reason to pay for overpriced RC components that are the exact same just labeled under an RC brand. Mount with a couple of zip-ties (or included hardware) and you are good to go :)

They are nominal 5V but can also run well on 6V. JST connectors can fit directly to your receiver or servo cables with a slight push. Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234143115931

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LEE71 said:

Cheers bud. Looks like 4 quid in UK!

This is what I use, cheaper, if you can wait!

£2.39  20%OFF | 5V-7V 150A DC Motor ESC fan 25/30/35/40/50mm for Hobbywing XERUN EZRUN QUICRUN ESC RC Model parts jst plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uQPPRg

With a 17.5T BL

spacer.png

With a brushed

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

I've always used  30mm Raspberry Pi fans on HW1060 and Tamiya TBLE02/04 ESCs. Also on top of motor heatsinks to cool Super Stock TZ/BZ motors. These fans are low cost (~2.5 dollars each!) and lower temperatures considerably. Never had an issue even on hot 30+ degC days. I see no reason to pay for overpriced RC components that are the exact same just labeled under an RC brand. Mount with a couple of zip-ties (or included hardware) and you are good to go :)

They are nominal 5V but can also run well on 6V. JST connectors can fit directly to your receiver or servo cables with a slight push. Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234143115931

I use similar but do wonder, on many BL videos, the fan is really loud but our fan barely make any sound. What is the difference?

• Like 1

Not all fans are made equal.

Noise levels can be down to; motor spec, amount of blades, voltage being used, bearing or non bearing, shroud size....

I use Sunon.

14 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

Not all fans are made equal.

Noise levels can be down to; motor spec, amount of blades, voltage being used, bearing or non bearing, shroud size....

I use Sunon.

I am talking about the cheap Pi computer fans that OoALEJOoO also uses. Being so silent, does it mean that they are not good enough for ESC compared to those that sound like a jet engine? 

For your application, they are probably ok.  

If feel you need more cooling, look for a high flow rate fan.

Surpass Rocket fans are one of the best. It surpasses and outperforms R1 Wurks and other high end fans.

They're also incased in all aluminum which serves as extension for heatsink.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, alvinlwh said:

I use similar but do wonder, on many BL videos, the fan is really loud but our fan barely make any sound. What is the difference?

Aliexpress ESC fans don't make loud fan noise? That's good news. I don't think I want extra high-flow fans.  Just something that's good enough to keep the temp down by 3 degrees C or something.  

I never liked loud fans on ESCs.  I know I'm silly because when it's out there running, I can hardly hear it.  

If it's not that loud, I'd like to install them on TBLE-02S' that have 13.5t motors. (maybe I'll even try out a 10.5t in the summer to test if it causes a thermal-shutdown) Would 3cm fans fit TBLEs?  (it seems I can't I buy more than 1 from this Aliexpress seller?) 

On 1/26/2022 at 4:44 AM, LEE71 said:

Can anyone recommend a fan for the Tamiya TBLE 04 ESC for a TFE with Hobbywing 17.5t brushless motor?

By the way, you probably don't need a fan for a 17.5t.  Most people use TBLE-02S with 13.5t fine (some go as hot as 10.5t).  Since TBLE-04 has practically the same spec, I would be surprised if it did a thermal shutdown with a 17.5t motor.  (But obviously, if you want one, you can install one. Some people install anodized fans for the coolness factor--pun intended.)  

23 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Aliexpress ESC fans don't make loud fan noise? That's good news. I don't think I want extra high-flow fans.  Just something that's good enough to keep the temp down by 3 degrees C or something.  

I never liked loud fans on ESCs.  I know I'm silly because when it's out there running, I can hardly hear it.  

If it's not that loud, I'd like to install them on TBLE-02S' that have 13.5t motors. (maybe I'll even try out a 10.5t in the summer to test if it causes a thermal-shutdown) Would 3cm fans fit TBLEs?  (it seems I can't I buy more than 1 from this Aliexpress seller?) 

IIRC, it was the 25mm that I got. 

£2.02  30%OFF | RC fan 25/30/35/40/50mm 8000RPM 5V-7V DC High wind cool Motor ESC fan heat sink 30/60/120/150A ESC 36/42mm motor futaba plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_u77RFQ

Double check the pictures of how they measure their fan and the screw holes are 5mm less. 

They are "8000 rpm" and have no sound at all. I had to actually use my vape as the smoke test (a real thing) to check if they are actually working or not. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Juggular said:

By the way, you probably don't need a fan for a 17.5t.  Most people use TBLE-02S with 13.5t fine (some go as hot as 10.5t).  Since TBLE-04 has practically the same spec, I would be surprised if it did a thermal shutdown with a 17.5t motor.  (But obviously, if you want one, you can install one. Some people install anodized fans for the coolness factor--pun intended.)  

I actually disconnected the fans (one for ESC and one for the motor) at the moment as the BEC of this ESC can barely support a "standard" servo plus Rx. 

I had some serious brownout problems when I had a 9kg servo (3A) and 2 fans (2 x 0.3A) and the RX when the BEC out puts out 1.5A. Higher powered fans will draw even more As. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

Aliexpress ESC fans don't make loud fan noise? That's good news. I don't think I want extra high-flow fans. 

Just for you. Aliexpress fan vs a SP fan. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, that is quiet.  If it's that quiet, I'm going to have to try it.  If $3 can allow me to use 10.5t, why not? (At least I want to test a 10.5t on the hottest days this summer.)

17 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Wow, that is quiet.  If it's that quiet, I'm going to have to try it.  If $3 can allow me to use 10.5t, why not? (At least I want to test a 10.5t on the hottest days this summer.)

As I said, the problem is not with the fan but the BEC of that ESC. I measured my 4kg servo at just over 1A (seems to match what I saw on another forum, 1A per 3 - 4kg), I am left with just under 0.5A for the RX and fan. RX draws about 0.3A and this fan about 0.3A. That will cause brownouts as seen in my Moving on neutral thread. That still happens now even with all the fans disconnected although far lesser compared to when I had a 3A 9kg servo plugged in. I had long experienced cars don't seem to run straight even though trimmed correctly problem and one day when I was bench testing one, I saw the wheels twitching, another sign of brownouts. I had ordered a UBEC to see if it helps with the situation, as using a free ESC with some low grade brushless, even with the added cost of a UBEC is still economical. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, alvinlwh said:

RX draws about 0.3A and this fan about 0.3A. That will cause brownouts as seen in my Moving on neutral thread.

I never used fans before, so I really hadn't thought about the brownouts.  Since you've mentioned it, I've ordered some cheap BEC units so I could use them with Tamiya ESCs with brushless.  I have several TBLE-02S' that's rolling about. If I can make good use of it by spending a few dollars each, why not? 

Tamiya really should increase the BEC output. Even 1060 has 3A output.  I wanted to see if TBLE-04 has better receiver output. But I couldn't find any info on that.  TBLE-02 is 60A and TBLE-04 is higher at 75A, I wonder if the BEC amp is also higher.  

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

Tamiya really should increase the BEC output. Even 1060 has 3A output.  

That is why I am just going to trash some of the 04s and silver cans that I had collected over the various cars and switch over to 1060 or BL when they finally blow. Having said that, even 3A is insufficient if you use some strong servo. My 9kg tested to be slightly over 3A in car (meaning with load). 

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

I wanted to see if TBLE-04 has better receiver output. But I couldn't find any info on that.  TBLE-02 is 60A and TBLE-04 is higher at 75A, I wonder if the BEC amp is also higher.  

Absolutely not! I was doing some maintenance and adjustment on one of my car with a 04 tonight and observed mild brownouts even with just a "standard" 4kg (1.something A) and the RX, and absolutely nothing else. Tests by flicking the steering left and right quickly confirms it as the car will move very slightly by about 2 teeth turn on the pinion (open gearbox so easily seen). Even a massive dual capacitors glitch blaster did nothing to stop it. I can take a video if you want it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Absolutely not! I was doing some maintenance and adjustment on one of my car with a 04 tonight and observed mild brownouts even with just a "standard" 4kg (1.something A) and the RX, and absolutely nothing else.

lol... thank you for testing that.  I know now Tamiya is wimpy on receiver output even on TBLE-04S!  

Oh, Tamiya why art thou disappointing us! 

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

lol... thank you for testing that.  I know now Tamiya is wimpy on receiver output even on TBLE-04S!  

Oh, Tamiya why art thou disappointing us! 

You got me thinking and looking. Seems like even some BL ESCs are nothing to shout too. My SkyRC 50A and an Orion Vortex dDrive only output @ 2A while a HobbyKing one is @ 3A (cannot find info for my Speed Passion one). A high torque digital servo, 2 fans (not sure if BL ESC fans are off the BEC or separate) and lights will probably blow them too. 

Looks like a separate BEC is the only way to go with fully loaded setups. 

• Like 1

@Juggular   was changing the pinion and doing some general adjustments to the car and thought you may want to see a video of the 04s glitching. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, wow, that's interesting!  

I had a Savox servo glitching, maybe I should test it again with a BEC.  

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

I had a Savox servo glitching, maybe I should test it again with a BEC.  

I believe Savox is quite known for causing glitche, especially the higher kg ones. Seen them mentioned quite often.